power bank when parked up...

Hmmm....

Use pack number 1 to charge pack number 2 - while pack number 2 is being used to charge pack number 1. Perpetual motion at an electron level? :D
I wonder what happens if you plug one of the outputs straight into the input? Do you think the 'smart' charger would figure out what's going on and simply shut down?

Has anyone tried one of these?

Flylion 2017 GM312 Mini DC UPS (Uninterruptible Power System/Supply) 7800MAH Power Bank 11-13V Input Voltage Down to 12V 2A DC 5V 1A USB Output Portable Power Protect For 12V 2A Applications (Flylion GM312 Mini DC UPS) https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B06XST68GB

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

buy a zendure powerbank and leave it connected. This will power the camera when the car is off. this powerbank supports passthrough charging

Do the Power Adds supply power while they are being charged?

How about others?

Is there a pass through power bank guide? I can't find one.

I mentioned which power bank above and yes pass through works.

I mentioned which power bank above and yes pass through works.

It is still unclear what technique they use to achieve pass-through charging but they do mention that it "only works when you use a QC3.0 charger".

Works for me on non quick charge, never had an issue with it

Works for me on non quick charge, never had an issue with it

Just because it is plugged in and appears to be charging doesn't mean the pass-through battery management circuitry is functioning as it is supposed to. There must be a reason they go to the trouble of repeatedly mentioning the requirement for a QC 3.0 compatible charger on their web site.

Also, many power banks that are not designed for pass-through charging can be plugged into a charger while they are also discharging but that doesn't make it OK. You are still seriously stressing the lithium cells in the battery bank when you do this.

A fellow member on an Indian car forum from Delhi reported his car's interior catching fire due to a power bank that exploded or caught fire while parked outside under direct sunlight. I've decided not to test my luck and refrain from recording while parked till summer subsides. Scary!

A fellow member on an Indian car forum from Delhi reported his car's interior catching fire due to a power bank that exploded or caught fire while parked outside under direct sunlight. I've decided not to test my luck and refrain from recording while parked till summer subsides. Scary!

First I've ever heard of this happening. Makes me wonder what type/brand of power bank etc. Some of the cheaper Chinese generic ones on the market are made with notoriously crappy cells and other components.

FWIW, I've been cautiously using my banks in hot vehicles now for three and a half years with no troubles. Of course, there could be that one time.

First I've ever heard of this happening. Makes me wonder what type/brand of power bank etc. Some of the cheaper Chinese generic ones on the market are made with notoriously crappy cells and other components.

FWIW, I've been cautiously using my banks in hot vehicles now for three and a half years with no troubles. Of course, there could be that one time.

I'd question the power bank's quality too. In his case it's one marketed by the brand 'Ambrane'. A generic import slapped with the importer's brand label.

Nevertheless it's scared me enough to retire the bank till at least the end of July.

I'd question the power bank's quality too. In his case it's one marketed by the brand 'Ambrane'. A generic import slapped with the importer's brand label.

Nevertheless it's scared me enough to retire the bank till at least the end of July.

What are the average high temperatures in Delhi between now and end July?

On an average about 42 - 44° C, low is 30 - 32°. For a few days every week it gets super hot with temperatures going all the way up to 48 - 50° C and the low at an uncomfortable 35° +. Then it rains (like right now) and we get a few degrees of relief for a couple of days. Towards the end of July the mercury starts dipping a bit but the increase in humidity keeps the real-feel factor at par with the hotter days.

The Mobius fell out of the FPV mount while recording when parked under direct sunlight a couple of weeks ago, it was 47° C.

The Mobius fell out of the FPV mount while recording when parked under direct sunlight a couple of weeks ago, it was 47° C.

47º C? That's getting up there. Last summer I experimented with an old indoor/outdoor thermometer and attached the outside probe to my camera mount. That's about the temp where it would top out but it went a bit higher. Everything continued to work but the GC would go out of focus until things cooled back down a bit. My battery banks were on the floor under the seat where things remained substantially cooler. They were propped up to allow air to flow around them.

47º C? That's getting up there. Last summer I experimented with an old indoor/outdoor thermometer and attached the outside probe to my camera mount. That's about the temp where it would top out but it went a bit higher. Everything continued to work but the GC would go out of focus until things cooled back down a bit. My battery banks were on the floor under the seat where things remained substantially cooler. They were propped up to allow air to flow around them.

On that particular day none of the cameras in the car lost focus, the car was parked outside without any cover for about an hour. I usually pull the USB cables outside the glove box and let the power bank dangle mid-air in the footwell area, doesn't touch anything and remains ventilated from all sides.

My car's glovebox has the cooling vent but I keep it OFF at all times fearing condensation on the Anker unit and the 12V socket. (Doesn't matter in this scenario but just felt it's worth mention.)

How well would a LiPo bag do in case a power bank catches fire? I mean if I place the power bank enclosed inside the bag on the passenger side foot mat.

Back