Power Charging Kit (With Parking Guard Signal)

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
What happened to this project?

Are any of the testers still using the charging kit?
This didn't work for me at all.

OP
Nigel

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, A129, B1W, B2W
What happened to this project?

Are any of the testers still using the charging kit?
Mine is in the boot with two TQKA 18W PD powerbanks, so 36W total charge rate, powering my cabin camera. I added a thermostat for low temperature charging cut off for safety and put the whole lot in a LIPO charging bag in the spare wheel well to keep cool in summer heat. When the thermostat turns the charger off it turns on a heater instead until the powerbanks warm up to 5C. I've also got a switch on my interior light panel to turn parking mode on/off since I don't drive enough to get 24 hours coverage from 36W charge rate. Had to add a capacitor to the USB output to avoid the A129 sometimes shutting down and not restarting when turning the ignition off.

Like that, it has been working perfectly :happy:

Still think it is a good idea, though I think maybe it should be for USB PD powerbanks only to remove some of the compatibility problems with non-PD powerbanks. As far as I know it works fine with all PD powerbanks? And there is no reason to use an old 10W charge rate powerbank, they are not fast enough.

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A129 Duo & Pro, GitUp F1 & F1C, Mobius 1 & Maxi
I suppose I could try again with my PD powerbank. I don't have the tools, parts or knowledge to start adding bits and pieces to make it work if that's what is required, such as a capacitor on the USB output.

It seems like a good idea to use a relatively cheap powerbank as an alternative to a Cellink battery. But there's so much variability across powerbanks that ensuring compatibility could be a nightmare.

bradders0371

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I added a thermostat for low temperature charging cut off for safety
Hey there! This intrigued me for a project I was thinking of and I was looking for more info on it but I've come up trumps on Google searches. If I wanted to add a thermostat to prevent low temperature charging to a power bank (e.g. which lives in my car and charges when ignition on), would your solution fit that use?

Apologies for hijacking the thread!