Power consumption of Ambarella 0803.

camera800

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
I tested the power consumption with an amperemeter USB, and the approximate values are:

Camera discharged, off and connected on charger -> 250 mA
Camera on, charged battery and only display on (no rec mode) -> 570mA the mean value.
Camera recording and chargering -> 650mA.

NOTE: These values are taken with this cheap amperemeter USB and is possible that there aren't real because it isn`t calibrated. The doubt is why the battery is only 320 mA?. In theory the battery wouldn`t be enought to make work the camera properly.

NOTE: Is not recommended discharge the Lithium battery continuosly because it can inflate and decrease the life span.

Last edited:
I have been noticing that my camera will always be on low battery alert when in use and recording. Im guessing becuase it discharges faster than it records? Anyone else have this problem too?

I have been noticing that my camera will always be on low battery alert when in use and recording. Im guessing becuase it discharges faster than it records? Anyone else have this problem too?

Nope, my 0803 only has the battery charging when I first start the car, it only takes a short time to charge before only the blue led is flashing.

The doubt is why the battery is only 320 mA?. In theory the battery wouldn`t be enought to make work the camera properly.
This is 320mAh. It is the capacity, not the current.
If the cameras consumes 320mA, the camera can theoricallly stays on during 1 hour.
If it consumes 640mA, duration will be 30min.
etc...

I'm interested to know if your camera is powered by the Car Adapter provided with the 0803. I had identical problem when my 0803 was powered by a USB cable plugged into a USB car socket charger adapter. I suspect there was insufficient current to power the camera, GPS logger and charge the battery all together in my instance. Problem disappeared when reconnected to the Ambarella supplied car adapter and the camera battery charged fully while recording during car journeys.

Last edited:
The included adapter is rated at 2A
I wouldn't use it for 2A as there is no heatsink on the regulator, I imagine it would shut off after a short while due to overheating!

However that's not an issue for just driving the 0803, when I opened it up it was a much nicer design than the hardwire kit I had so I soldered some wires on and hardwired the standard adapter instead :)

Speaking of power usage; I have a feeling that the camera/charger is drawing power from the battery even even when the car is off.

I have a Mazda CX-5 with "i-stop" (where the engine turns off when the car is stationary). It only does this if there is enough charge in the battery. After using the 0803 for a few weeks, I noticed that the i-stop stopped activating.

I now disconnect the charger overnight when I'm not using the car, and after a week, the i-stop has come back. Anyone else had similar experiences?

have a look on Whirlpool in the automotive section, I've seen other complaints about i-stop randomly working or not, think that's a car issue, complaints to the dealer seem to suggest it's normal

Last edited:
Yep, I am watching that thread on Whirlpool :)

I've had the i-stop not activate before, but not for weeks at a time. The timing of starting to use the 0803 (and the i-stop back soon after disconnecting the camera overnight) seems too much of a coincidence to me.

The i-stop system will kill your battery if you take frequent short trips or drive often in stop & go traffic. Those systems are a great idea for gas mileage but are really hard on the car's battery.

But back to topic....

Does anyone know the current draw when recording with the screen off?
Also, I noticed that when the power gets pulled, the screen will turn on as the unit shuts down. Any way to change this?

Back