Power management thinkware vs BlackVue

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

Has anyone here been able to compare what camera will last longer in parking mode without an extra battery. just hardwire in the car? looking at thinkware and BlackVue.

Thanks

I have no experience with either of these brands, but in general i think most dashcams are much the same power usage, when recording full tilt or in parking mode, so i dont think there is a significant difference in between the 2.

That depends on the car's battery, not only on the dashcams. Some batteries have more juice than others even on day 1 of their purchase bc they have different specs. That said, it also depends, obviously, on how old the car battery is. That is, I would expect a longer run from a brand new battery than from the same (brand, model, version, etc.) battery that's already 3 years old. Hope this helps!

Yes state of car battery, and its size too, are the main factors, after that if you plan on using parking mode a lot come the problem of you also have to drive some daily to recharge what you have lost while parked.

I changed battery ( small car / small battery ) in my 2012 car last summer, it was seemingly okay but i had some problems with a camera, and putting in a new battery also fixed those camera problems.
But i only use parking mode for 1 hour after i park, that cover all my shopping, and at home i have CCTV from my 2 floor apartment on my parked car so no need to run parking guard there.

If i was to feel unsafe parking in a place, i can just up the timer in the camera to give me the coverage i feel i need, but in day to day use i have the 1 hour timer to go east on my little battery.

If you park at home in your driveway or garage, you should not use parking guard, as nothing would probably happen there, or you should consider a CCTV camera or two.
Most / all cameras allow you to manually override the automatic change to parking guard, often by long pressing the power button after the system have changed to parking mode and so turn the camera off.

Hi All,

Has anyone here been able to compare what camera will last longer in parking mode without an extra battery. just hardwire in the car? looking at thinkware and BlackVue.

Thanks
Vortex Radar did a comparison of Thinkware, Blackvue and Viofo 4K cameras, and the Viofo won significantly, although partly because it cheated and dropped to FHD resolution for parking mode! FHD is normally enough for parking mode, you don't need to read plates several rows away.

For the lower resolution cameras there is not normally a big difference.

Back