Power Options

oo7ml

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi guys,

What are you using to power your dashcams?

I am looking for something that will power the dashcam when the ignition is turned off. So far, the two options i see are:

01 - Cellink B: hard wire a Cellink B (takes 1 hour to charge fully, and you get 20+ hours power which is independant from the battery)

02 - Power Magic Pro: hard wire PMP (this is not a battery, but instead connects to the main car battery but cuts the power drain to the battery after 12 hours)

Any other options?

If your dashcam is 5V you can use a phone power bank.

Oh, that's 12v, so the phone power bank isn't an option.

Ok, thanks... any other recommendations?

Thank you... which do you think is a better option:

01 - use a battery discharge prevention (like the PMP)

or

02 - use an independant battery (like the Cellink B)

I suppose it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you need the camera on 24/7?

I have a PMP ( bought that before I read the link here) It does what I need it to do, I set it at 12 hrs/ 12 volts and that is all I need.

No, but i would like to use it for 15 hours in parking mode... this is my main requirement.

Well I suppose that would depend on the size and health of your cars battery then and how low you are willing to discharge the cars battery. Personally I don't think less than 12 volts is a good idea.

Well I suppose that would depend on the size and health of your cars battery then and how low you are willing to discharge the cars battery. Personally I don't think less than 12 volts is a good idea.

Hi, thanks... can you elaborate on what you mean by less than 12 volts please.

Hi, thanks... can you elaborate on what you mean by less than 12 volts please.

although we think of car electrical systems as 12v if you battery is at 12v some cars won't even start, modern cars generally run at a bit over 14v and your car battery will typically be around 12.5v at rest

Yes you will need to have a cut off above 12 Volts to be able to crank your car when you get back to it.

I myself have so far stayed avay from hardwirering as the battery in my car is = if not less to the small size of my Suzuki Splash.
If and when i get there i will have to expand the power grid by a seperate battery to power the dashcams, and for that i nees a splitter so the original car battery is safe from beeing drained.

But i would prefer to win in the lottery and buy a new car with a much larger battery, and thats the only way i can see me ever getting a new car, so i hope the little Suzuki i have now last a long time.

As jokiin points out a healthy fully charged car battery will typically be around 12.5 volts right after the car is shut off. That voltage will decrease depending on many factors (load,temp,health of the battery) The more cycles ( discharge/charge) you put a lead acid battery thru the harder it is on it, especially fairly deep discharges.

So having said all that if you are looking at having your dashcam powered for 15 hrs out of every 24, then I doubt your cars battery will be able to maintain that and still supply starting voltage. I have no experience using dedicated batteries for a dashcam but I'm sure there are others here who can advise you on the best option for that.

Back