Power supply question

P

Proculeius

Hi Community!

So I'm running two GIW-C cameras in my Ford Falcon BF Wagon (a very long car).
One on the front using the supplied cigarette AC, and one on the rear windscreen.

Because it is such a long distance from cigarette point in the car to the rear window, I have run a 10m USB M to mini cable to the camera, powered by a cigarette USB adapter, with 1A output.

Question, is this acceptable and can the power be transmitted over such a length without issue? I ask because the rear camera will sporadically cycle itself, and I have ruled out the unit being at fault. I'm currently testing load, without one two of the points being used with nothing else plugged in.

that is a bit long, better to wire an adapter closer to the camera so you don't have voltage drop to deal with

that is a bit long, better to wire an adapter closer to the camera so you don't have voltage drop to deal with

Cheers mate, how do you advise I wire one closer? Use a shorter cable?

Cheers mate, how do you advise I wire one closer? Use a shorter cable?
Find a source of constant on power in the back or run a 12 volt source to the back and wire in a cigarette lighter plug. Then you can use a shorter length USB to camera cable.

Find a source of constant on power in the back or run a 12 volt source to the back and wire in a cigarette lighter plug. Then you can use a shorter length USB to camera cable.

A mechanic buddy of mine tried to use the rear cabin light writing however it was more than 1A and fried the unit. Have to be very careful with voltages like that. I'll have to look into wiring a 12V source at the rear of the car. The current camera does work, however not at optimum voltage obviously. Thanks for your replies, gents.

Back