Powerucc Panorama2

adorfer said:
As i understand now, there is a stamping of gps coordinates in the video signal, but no separate file (or embedded) data of the lat/lan values (GPS, NMEA, CSV), so no chance to visualize on google earth or any (provided) viewer?
That is a pitty.

Its early to say that. I guess it need to set up settings via special PC viewer program which I have asked to provide, but still waiting when seller will be back. I have in hand MG300, same body as Powerucc but different firmware but s8mioar looking firmware and it has its own PC viewer with google maps. So i guess Powererucc should have the same. Lets wait and see what they say.

jokiin said:
as I said previously, this is a very Chinese looking design for a Korean camera http://www.pcauto.com.cn/drivers/242/2426017_all.html

You are right. I got last week Matego mg300 and they look same from outside and by firmware. However hardware is different. Early quick tests shows Panorama2 video quality is better because of using sony exmor.
i have accounted another 2 dash cams with same body but different ( weaker ) specs on Japanese websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
jokiin said:
as I said previously, this is a very Chinese looking design for a Korean camera http://www.pcauto.com.cn/drivers/242/2426017_all.html

You are right. I got last week Matego mg300 and they look same from outside and by firmware. However hardware is different. Early quick tests shows Panorama2 video quality is better because of using sony exmor.
i have accounted another 2 dash cams with same body but different ( weaker ) specs on Japanese websites.

I know a few local factories to me here in Shenzhen where 'Made in Korea' and 'Made in Taiwan' cameras are produced, that's not something that's exclusive to this product category of course, this particular one doesn't even look Korean though, a bit more obvious than some of the others, not that I feel it matters where a product is made as long as it's done right, prefer honesty though

jokiin said:
niko said:
jokiin said:

I know a few local factories to me here in Shenzhen where 'Made in Korea' and 'Made in Taiwan' cameras are produced, that's not something that's exclusive to this product category of course, this particular one doesn't even look Korean though, a bit more obvious than some of the others, not that I feel it matters where a product is made as long as it's done right, prefer honesty though

Thats how the things are. I specially bought mg300 with 120 degree angle ( not mg300w with 154 ) just to see how big differnce in reading numberplates between panorama2 154 and mg300 120, but comparings show that panorama2 even having 154 does not lose in clarity and sharpness vs mg300 and perfoms much better at night.
Built quality is much higher on both of them than tiotech series dash cams. However ls300w beats a little bit at night but loses dramatically with lens angle. Ls300w have real diagonal about 110 degree at 1080 / 30, not 140 as advertised. Panorama2 and mg300w has real 154 degree diagonal.

niko said:
Its early to say that. I guess it need to set up settings via special PC viewer program which I have asked to provide,
So there is some kind of PC Viewer with google maps / Openstreetmaps support for playback of video files?

adorfer said:
niko said:
Its early to say that. I guess it need to set up settings via special PC viewer program which I have asked to provide,
So there is some kind of PC Viewer with google maps / Openstreetmaps support for playback of video files?

Matego has this PC viewer, so Powerucc should have it too.

I ordered one with GPS module from the south korean ebay seller.
With a bit of luck i will get it until end of next week.

adorfer said:
I ordered one with GPS module from the south korean ebay seller.
With a bit of luck i will get it until end of next week.

Very good.
Meanwhile I was communicating directly to Powerucc R&D department and they provided me with they PC Viewer-player and confirmed that it playing Google maps gps rout on this viewer.
I went testing my recorded files recorded with GPS antenna plugged in and it was positive, - I could see google map on PC viewer as promised. So I assume that powerucc uses some kind of "other" GPS data encoding system without creating a separate gps data files like others do. Don't know how it works but it is like that.

The only glitch was longitude wrong data reading / decoding somewhere in Europe. I sent few RAW files to them to test. They confirmed that there is no error in gps data reading in Korea, so it must be some glitch with Europe longitude readings. They said it can be fixed and working on it. I remember reading some other forums where few other GPS car dash cams had similar problem with longitude and it was fixed by manufacturer.

Overall my experience with powerucc R&D department is one of the best. Very good help and quick replay to all my e-mails and resolving all questions. Product feels in hand very high quality and video recording quality speaks for itself ( check my RAW video samples above in few of my posts ). No errors at all within nearly 2 month of testing. Very strong and reliable like many Korean high-end dash camera brands should be.

One thing I recommended them is to have suction cup type mounting bracket, because many customers would like to remove dash cam overnight not leaving it in the car for robberies.
Was it same day or next ( dont remember exactly ), but they replayed me with pictures:

They are testing expensive but high quality Arkon brand suction cup mount for Panorama2.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN115-Winds ... +car+mount

2 weeks earlier I have received from Aliexpress DOD suction cup for 3.50 usd with delivery which matching exactly Panorama bracket.

http://szsmilin.en.alibaba.com/product/ ... acket.html

wholesale price is 1.50 usd.

I asked Powerucc why they dont order from Alibaba / ALiexpress cheaper version and got this replay:

" ... In Korea, there are many problems in winter a suction cap.
Adsorption force is weakened in the winter, products fall very often in the glass of the car.
We have to care that there is no error and various functions. In addition, accessories, trying to supply consumers with a product that has been verified.
Products arkon, verification is enough that reason ... "

I like this kind of attitude where company cares about they brand, image, whole package high quality standard and customer satisfaction. Thats why they dont use cheap parts.
Till now I am very confident in they products and after they fix gps longitude glitch for Europe, - then I will be fully satisfied, however I do not use GPS function, - that is useless for me, but still could be fixed just to have 100% peace of mind.

Attachments

• DSC00275_1.jpg
    DSC00275_1.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00289_1.jpg
    DSC00289_1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 238
Some endurance tests where Panorama2 was frozen, was exposed to direct sun light to get to 50 degree , heavily shaken etc.

Attachments

• a1.png
    a1.png
    447.2 KB · Views: 190
  • a2.png
    a2.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 182
  • a3.png
    a3.png
    354.5 KB · Views: 181
  • a4.png
    a4.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 180
  • a5.png
    a5.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 183
  • a6.png
    a6.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 181
  • a7.png
    a7.png
    405 KB · Views: 181
  • a8.png
    a8.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 182
Thanks Niko for your footage.

However I want to ask, why is the city night footage looks so grainy? I can hardly make out any plate number.

I gotta say the pitch dark footage looks great!

Also can you give your opinion on this camera compare to LS300W in terms of day/night video quality? Personally I think the day time quality is very similar but in night time LS300W looks sharper.

Camcandy said:

However I want to ask, why is the city night footage looks so grainy? I can hardly make out any plate number.

Also can you give your opinion on this camera compare to LS300W in terms of day/night video quality? Personally I think the day time quality is very similar but in night time LS300W looks sharper.

I will try to post this weekend more RAW files.
Night time footage is not always grainy, but only very little in those situations where car is on the move and camera see sudden changes between very dark light and bright street lights. CPU and firmware is working very hard in those situations to correct image to full WDR. If car is stopped then as you can see from most footages, - then it is very nice WDR effect.

About grainy effect on this dash cam: it is far less then Finevu CR-500
At the beginning It was also disturbing to be, being comparing side by side with LS300W, but the grainy effect is not that bad actually and in therms of reading numberplates ( if they are readable ), it was not much difference between LS300W and Panorama2. SO the grainy effect is only affecting dark background areas of the footage . not filtrating them into full black colour.
Also comparing at night side by side ls300w and Panorama I realised that grainy effect could be actually good thing. I will explain:
In some footage with Panorama2 due to having that slight grainy effect I was able to see buildings shapes at the dark / black background, but with LS300W due to doing its WDR filtration in full, - those buildings were gone / blacken out / filtrated. Hope you know what I mean. So, some time slight grainy effect can be even useful.

Regarding reading numberplates that grainy effect on Panorama2 did not affected much.

I was struggling for long time to prioritize between Panorama2 and LS300W, but after dropping away slight grainy effect of Panorama2 ( which can be usefull in some cases ) I have decided for me that dash cam is nr1 at the moment within 200usd price range regarding quality + functions vs price.
Also LS300W loses in many things like very narrow view angle ( about 85-90 degree horizontal ), Panorama2 has about 110-115 degree horizontal and not loosing it focus at the edges of the screen. ALso parking mode motion detection recording is not that good on LS300W as on Panorama2.

But of course it would be unfair to judge LS300W because it is in different price-range category ( you can get GT300W 120 usd delivered ), so we need to judge and compare only with same price-range other dash cams.

Camcandy said:

P.S. - do not look at youtube videos. Please try to download my RAW files I have posted earlier.

Thanks for the reply Niko, I think I just had enough confidence to purchase this unit after reading your comment.

Here is another question about this unit, does anyone know how long is the GPS module cable? There are pictures on ebay from the supplier but it's hard to judge the length of the GPS module cable from the picture. I'd like to buy the dashcam with the GPS module but I'm hoping the cable is long enough to allow me place the GPS module somewhere under the dashboard.

Oh also does this unit have screen auto off? I know most dashcams have such feature that turns off the screen after a set time. Just want to be sure this unit has it too.

Camcandy said:
Thanks for the reply Niko, I think I just had enough confidence to purchase this unit after reading your comment.

Here is another question about this unit, does anyone know how long is the GPS module cable? There are pictures on ebay from the supplier but it's hard to judge the length of the GPS module cable from the picture. I'd like to buy the dashcam with the GPS module but I'm hoping the cable is long enough to allow me place the GPS module somewhere under the dashboard.

Oh also does this unit have screen auto off? I know most dashcams have such feature that turns off the screen after a set time. Just want to be sure this unit has it too.

Please dont get me wrong, they both ( as all other dash cams ) has they own plus and minuses. There never gonna be a perfect product in any category. We always want more. Its just my own personal opinion where i take into consideration my needs, plus value for money, then Panorama2 is best for me at the moment. Of course there will he better products from other manufacturers, no doubt in this. Its always battle with yourself: you wait few month, maybe half year, or go with the present available products.

I suggest you to wait few days and decide after i upload more raw files i made. Also i will try to contact other Panorama2 buyer adorfer and share his opinion here.

GPS antenna is about 30cm long and i mounted it near rear view mirror bracket. Please remember my earlier post about wrong latitude readings in Europe but manufacturer working on it. Longitude and gps speed displaying correctly.

whole menu interface is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-jzY91 ... ata_player

it has 30, 60 sec display off and also OFF as well.

After that menu they have added with new firmware 720p at 60fps and WDR.

Thanks for sharing Tommy, its funny though how Panorama2 = purple tinge, BlackVue Green!!

Milamber said:
Thanks for sharing Tommy, its funny though how Panorama2 = purple tinge, BlackVue Green!!

You are right, there is a slight purple issue, but within 200usd price its hard to find dash cam at the moment with same options to be fully perfect ( Panorama has good picture clarity, display, good night vision, nice focus, gps option etc ). If we want more, we need to pay much more.
For the purpose of dash cam function to read all important info in case of providing evidence this dash cam does it job.
For purpose of holiday trip video recording with full spectrum of correct colors and not having fish eye effect need to buy pocket video camera. Within 200usd i havent seen all in one dash cam that would satisfy both needs with same dash camera options.

I did some more investigation on this dashcam, found this review thread in Chinese:

http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=18552245

Like Jokiin has mentioned, it has a different name in China (MATEGO MG300W). From the screen shots I think it's the same dashcam. Notice in Chinese version the camera comes with a suction mount that kinda looks like the Arkon mount mentioned by Niko. But according to the author the mount is not very secure and often fall off the windshield (so maybe the mount is just a knock off).

So it seems only the latest firmware has incorporated WDR, is there any video sample with WDR enabled out there yet? Where can I find the latest firmware upgrade?

Camcandy said:
I did some more investigation on this dashcam, found this review thread in Chinese:

http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=18552245

Like Jokiin has mentioned, it has a different name in China (MATEGO MG300W). From the screen shots I think it's the same dashcam. Notice in Chinese version the camera comes with a suction mount that kinda looks like the Arkon mount mentioned by Niko. But according to the author the mount is not very secure and often fall off the windshield (so maybe the mount is just a knock off).

So it seems only the latest firmware has incorporated WDR, is there any video sample with WDR enabled out there yet? Where can I find the latest firmware upgrade?

I went through all this. Bought Matego about 1 month ago to test side by side with Panorama2.
They are totally different products. Different video quality. They share only shell / case. Inside not.
Panorama beats Matego in all way, but cost more.

You are right, things some time look a like but in reality there is a quality difference, regarding suction mount.
Will be getting another Paborama2 for my friend soon with suction mount added, so I can test it.

New videos i will be adding soon are made with WDR.There is a firmware update available on powerucc website. Or you may mention to seller to send you unit with already updated firmware.

below my photos of testing matego vs panorama side by side

Attachments

• IMG_20130614_111436.jpg
    IMG_20130614_111436.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20130614_111519.jpg
    IMG_20130614_111519.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20130614_111620.jpg
    IMG_20130614_111620.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 386