Pre buying Pittasoft blackvue DR550GW advice plz

Eddie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello all.
I have yet to purchase an in car camera set up but I am leaning towards the Pittasoft blackvue DR550GW two channel.

I have read somewhere that the pixilation problem can be helped (not rectified) by using a better SD card?

I was planning to use Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 Card - 32GB (95MB/sec) 633x any advice on this card or it helping the pixilation problem?

I wanted to get advice on powering the units. I have a fwd that has 2 batteries. One is an Optima battery and can be fully drawn down without affecting the main battery. I was hoping to connect the camera directly to the battery.

Pittasoft suggested not cutting the cigarette cable and connecting it directly to the battery. Apart from possibly draining the second battery I couldn't see any issue? Comments?

Otherwise, do I have to buy the optional Pittasoft Blackvue Power Magic Pro?

Can someone advise what happens with the in-built GPS? I'm assuming there is a port an external cable plugs into that leads to a GPS aerial that sticks somewhere on the windscreen? Or is the gps actually just in the camera unit?

Many thanx in advance for constructive helpful comments.

Regards Ed.

Hello all.
I have yet to purchase an in car camera set up but I am leaning towards the Pittasoft blackvue DR550GW two channel.

I have read somewhere that the pixilation problem can be helped (not rectified) by using a better SD card?

I was planning to use Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 Card - 32GB (95MB/sec) 633x any advice on this card or it helping the pixilation problem?

I wanted to get advice on powering the units. I have a fwd that has 2 batteries. One is an Optima battery and can be fully drawn down without affecting the main battery. I was hoping to connect the camera directly to the battery.

Pittasoft suggested not cutting the cigarette cable and connecting it directly to the battery. Apart from possibly draining the second battery I couldn't see any issue? Comments?

Can someone advise what happens with the in-built GPS? I'm assuming there is a port an external cable plugs into that leads to a GPS aerial that sticks somewhere on the windscreen? Or is the gps actually just in the camera unit?

Regards Ed.
Have you seen what camera Jokiin is releasing very soon? It may just be worth buying 2 of those or waiting till he releases a dual channel model later on.

I was about to drop about £330 on one of those BlackVues when I came across this forum and various YouTubers and found that this BlackVue is quite unreliable.... The rear camera can stop taking power from the front unit and there doesn't seem to be any solution for the pixelation issue. I am now eagerly awaiting (along with most of this forum) for Jokiin's camera and I don't think you'll be disappointed. He actually listens to what you have to say and comes out with regular firmware updates and probably best of all communicates in perfect English, which is more than you can say for Pretty much every other manufacturer of dashcams out there.

Go ahead and like his company's Facebook page. Just search for GuardTrak and you'll see plenty of info about the upcoming model

And I also don't like the fact that you have to go out and try finding a very specific memory card that works for a product. Any half decent brand of a particular class and above should just work!

Have you seen what camera Jokiin is releasing very soon? It may just be worth buying 2 of those or waiting till he releases a dual channel model later on.

I was about to drop about £330 on one of those BlackVues when I came across this forum and various YouTubers and found that this BlackVue is quite unreliable.... The rear camera can stop taking power from the front unit and there doesn't seem to be any solution for the pixelation issue. I am now eagerly awaiting (along with most of this forum) for Jokiin's camera and I don't think you'll be disappointed. He actually listens to what you have to say and comes out with regular firmware updates and probably best of all communicates in perfect English, which is more than you can say for Pretty much every other manufacturer of dashcams out there.

Go ahead and like his company's Facebook page. Just search for GuardTrak and you'll see plenty of info about the upcoming model

While Jokiin's camera looks promising, I don't think it's being released anytime soon. Even Jokiin doesn't have a loose release timeframe for it.

Have you been following the right threads and his Facebook group? He said mass production should begin immediately after Chinese new year which is the end of January

Have you been following the right threads and his Facebook group? He said mass production should begin immediately after Chinese new year which is the end of January

Doh! You're right. I stand corrected.

Eddie, wait until this thing is released before thinking of buying a camera.

You obviously haven't read much about it or you would know some of the answers already.

The GPS is built in on all Blackvue cameras that have it A class 6 SD card is fast enough and no card can make a picture look better than what the camera produces,

After all a digital picture is just a series of 1's and 0's according to how the camera sends to it.

A Power magic is best because it puts it into parking mode which records differently to normal recording which is what will happen if you leave it powered on.

Havent you read anything about them Download the manual and have a read Marvelous what you can find out.

You can buy a Ciggy socket and wire it to the battery and just plug in what comes with the camera That in fact is better because it has a fuse in it . Otherwise you would have to put a line fuse in.
Running the camera 24/7 for extended periods may not be the best idea s some heat is generated during use.

And you're quoting my post why exactly?

Hello all.

Regards Ed.

You obviously haven't read much about it or you would know some of the answers already.

The GPS is built in on all Blackvue cameras that have it.

A class 6 SD card is fast enough and no card can make a picture look better than what the camera produces,

After all a digital picture is just a series of 1's and 0's according to how the camera sends to it.

A Power magic is best because it puts it into parking mode which records differently to normal recording which is what will happen if you leave it powered on.

Havent you read anything about them Download the manual and have a read Marvelous what you can find out.

You can buy a Ciggy socket and wire it to the battery and just plug in what comes with the camera That in fact is better because it has a fuse in it .

Otherwise you would have to put a line fuse in.
Running the camera 24/7 for extended periods may not be the best idea s some heat is generated during use.

I've just bought a 32Gb Class 10 (U1) SanDisk SD card (Ultra) for my 550 and it seems to be recording OK. I did notices a little bit of 'pixelation' on the original card, and will let you know how the new card get on in this matter (only put it in this morning!).

Also, there is an advantage to the unit being slightly warm when left on (in parking mode etc.) and that is that it actually keeps the bit of window the cameras are looking out of 'mist-free' so the camera usually has a good view, even when the rest of the window is steamed up! :)

to the unit being slightly warm when left on (in parking mode etc.) and that is that it actually keeps the bit of window the cameras are looking out of 'mist-free' so the camera usually has a good view, even when the rest of the window is steamed up! :)
I have visions of you driving on a frosty morning sat up out of your seat trying to peer through a 2" square gap by the mirror :D lol

I have visions of you driving on a frosty morning sat up out of your seat trying to peer through a 2" square gap by the mirror :D lol

Lol, nearly... I meant it's good for when you're car is parked up overnight and the windows get steamed up or frosty the camera's can still see! Because I of course ALWAYS make sure that my windows are frost and mist free and visibility is A-OK before I even thinking about setting off, and I NEVER drive ducking down looking 'below' the frost.... much.... :-/ hahaha...

Doh! You're right. I stand corrected.

Eddie, wait until this thing is released before thinking of buying a camera.

Thanx for the advice. I will, hopefully we can buy it before the end of Feb?

The GPS is built in on all Blackvue cameras that have it.

A class 6 SD card is fast enough and no card can make a picture look better than what the camera produces,

You can buy a Ciggy socket and wire it to the battery and just plug in what comes with the camera That in fact is better because it has a fuse in it .

Otherwise you would have to put a line fuse in.

Hi Hillbilly. I did try to download the manual but couldn't find it? Thank you for answering all of my questions as they were laid out, very helpful. This is my first time buying one of these cameras so I'm not clued up on them. I did do as much research as I could find out and that's what led me to this site. You might want to ease up on the on the derogatory comments, maybe you have answered a few to many qeustions, too many times but this is my first time asking them and I did do a search on them within this site before posting. Apart from that thanx for taking your time to answer.

Cheers mcaf123. I appreciate the feedback. Out of all the dual camera set ups I found, non were great, but the blackview seemed to be the best. I wasn't happy buying it but there seemed to be no other/better alternatives for around that price.
I will what to see what Jokiin's comes out with but by the sounds of it we wont be able to buy until Feb?

Pixelation and quality issues are a result of the low bitrate, changing memory cards won't help that

Please advise me when you have your dual camera available for the Australian market as you will have a purchaser here.

I've just bought a 32Gb Class 10 (U1) SanDisk SD card (Ultra) for my 550 and it seems to be recording OK. I did notices a little bit of 'pixelation' on the original card, and will let you know how the new card get on in this matter (only put it in this morning!).

Also, there is an advantage to the unit being slightly warm when left on (in parking mode etc.) and that is that it actually keeps the bit of window the cameras are looking out of 'mist-free' so the camera usually has a good view, even when the rest of the window is steamed up! :)

Yeah cool Ratmonkey. Let us know how you go as it seems the popular opinion is it wont make any difference?

Hi Hillbilly. I did try to download the manual but couldn't find it? Thank you for answering all of my questions as they were laid out, very helpful. This is my first time buying one of these cameras so I'm not clued up on them. I did do as much research as I could find out and that's what led me to this site. You might want to ease up on the on the derogatory comments, maybe you have answered a few to many questions, too many times but this is my first time asking them and I did do a search on them within this site before posting. Apart from that thanx for taking your time to answer.

The manual can be found here http://www.blackvue.co.kr/en/conten...oardsort=27&page=1&idx=1126&search=&searchstr=

Had you said you had searched I wouldn't have said anything but the same questions get asked almost every day when the info is all in the posts in the forum.

With all the problems with the rear camera it maybe best to wait a while and see how Jokins camera turns out

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
USDashCamera DR550GW-2CH 1
Back