Pre-purchase questions

Hi Guys,

I'm finally installing my dash cam and am testing the fuses.

However, with the ignition on and/or car started, I can't find a single fuse that shows 12V so am obviously doing something wrong . I'm using a multimeter and am touching the probes to the little divits on the top of the fuses.

Just to make sure I wasn't going completely crazy (it's been a while), I tested the multimeter and probes with 1.5V battery and could read 1.5V. I also get continuity so I'm sure I'm touching the right thing and also tried swapping the probes incase I got the load side wrong - but no joy.

I'm obviously missing something basic sorry! Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

OK, have reviewed all the helpful posts and just want to confirm this is the ground bolt and to ask what's the safest/easiest way of connecting to it - just use a large forked spade connector, loosen the bolt and slid it under?

hiace-ground-passenger-side.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys, how do you deal with the large box and terminal that's on each end of the USB cable?

I have the A pillar cover off and can see the factory wiring (reverse camera etc) but there's no way the boxes on this cable will fit through the hole into the fuse area.

I'm also scared to do very much with the dash incase I set off the airbag if that makes sense. Or should I just discount the battery so I can remove the dash?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

Yeah most often with a hard wire kit, with a 12 - 5 Volt converter on the wire, while not super big it are often too large to feed thru the holes.
In my car i feed down, or fish up with something at the A pillar, not super much room but i have had several wires in either side feed thru that way

You sort of have to do the same with a conventional 12 V plug that go into the dash socket, cuz that plug too are too large to fit thru anywhere, so you have to fish the camera end with the smaller USB plug.

Success, all installed, tested and working.

Thanks so much for the patience and all the help - very much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

I'm also scared to do very much with the dash incase I set off the airbag if that makes sense.
For future reference, you can't "set off" your airbag, really. You have to be trying, either intentionally shorting and providing voltage to the thing or else actually hit something to cause enough G-forces to set it off.

Or should I just discount the battery so I can remove the dash?
It never hurts to disconnect the battery. But you shouldn't have to remove your dash.

It sounds like you did make your way through it. Congratulations!

Back