Preventing ice/snow accumulation

Wynter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Neighbour's vehicle got broken into last night and I thought I'd be able to help because I keep my dashcam recording continuously. Nothing but ice and snow. I do plan on getting a proper surveillance system on the house eventually, but in the meantime, are there products that I could use to keep a small window space clear in the winter from frost or a thin layer of ice/snow so the front and rear dashcams can still see everything throughout the night?

I posted in another thread that I purchased some rain repellant as when my car was last hit, it was parked up on a very wet day.

It does help stop big droplets of water settling but it's very hard to tell whether it's worth it as conditions change so much!

We haven't had any ice or snow here in the UK but I am guessing it probably won't be enough to stop it settling

Where i live in Denmark i think in the past 9 years or so the total amount of snowfall have been 2 - 4 feet, that was what we got in a day when i was a kid.
And when we get snow now it normally melt and are gone in a few days.
Last winter week i recall was in 1994 where a snow storm closed Down Denmark during a weekend where i was at work, but at least i did manage to fight my way home on Saturday afternoon, but Sunday when i was to return everything was closed, and the roads was only cleared out by the following Wednesday when i had to work too.
So glad i did not get stuck on the ferries for 2-3 days.

And yeah stuff on the windscreen are what i have always reminded people on can create problems for dashcams in parking mode.

I think window treatments like RainX or car polish will help somewhat with snow and ice, mostly extending the period of 'clearness' a little, but they won't totally prevent the problem. Dashcams generate a bit or heat in use which also helps- again it's not really enough though. Short of keeping the windshield clear yourself (impractical for sure) there's no effective solution I know of.

Phil

but in the meantime, are there products that I could use to keep a small window space clear in the winter from frost or a thin layer of ice/snow so the front and rear dashcams can still see everything throughout the night?
Not too practical.. but no doubt your defroster would keep the windscreen clear if you kept the car running. :)

At home you can put a CCTV camera on the car ( you can get those with build in heater and even a wiper too ), but out on the town you are forced to rely on your own parking mode, and then you are probably best off looking for sheltered parking.
If /when i visit my birth town, then i always park in one of the parking houses there, simply no free parking anymore, at least not one that you can rely on, but the parking houses pretty much always have room.
And the number of vacant P spots are on LED signs on the way into town and around town.

Back