Problems formatting SD card via dash cam & random beeps

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I'm just wondering why this is happening. I can work around it but it's not really the point.

So the other week I get in my car and I hear the dash cam beeping away at me (currently have it in rear until I can be bothered to sort hardwiring). I take a look at it and am greeted with the following:

20220110_070941.jpg

So I go through the motions to do this via the device:

20220110_070918.jpg
20220110_070937.jpg

And then the best bit...

20220110_070941.jpg

Yeah, what's all that about then?

The device should really be able to format the SD card yet it has forever been incapable of doing this.

Said cards bought from reputable retailers (not eBay/Amazon)...

20220110_200639.jpg

In addition, I've also used a Samsung 128GB PRO Endurance card.

So my workaround is having to bring the SD card in to the house (great if you're away on holiday and have no access to your house right!), use SD Card Formatter, do a full format and then insert the card back in to the dash cam.

Which worked for a while until a week or so later I hear these annoying beeps again after starting the car up ... lo and behold it's that message again.

As the dash cam is currently cabled in to my 12v socket up front (luckily I don't carry passengers), I just pulled the cable and then re-inserted which seemed to quieten it down.

What's the deal? Why offer the ability to format via the device ... if you can't format via the device???

Come on VIOFO.

Hopefully some knowledgable members can help sort me out :)

You might do better by formatting it in FAT32 format after using the SD card formatter.

It will happily write to either format, but was developed and tested to use FAT32, Not sure what the current situation is with using exFAT on the A119 V3 is.

You might do better by formatting it in FAT32 format after using the SD card formatter.

It will happily write to either format, but was developed and tested to use FAT32, Not sure what the current situation is with using exFAT on the A119 V3 is.
I know somewhere around the 16/32/64 area the format can no longer be FAT32 and becomes exFAT or NTFS (or at least you have to do a bit more work to change the format). Not sure which of those numbers it is but it'd most certainly be on the 128GB card.

Which makes me ask then ... how do you change the format on these larger cards to FAT32?

I remember doing something like this ages ago but I was looking for a program on my PC and didn't find anything.

Turns out I must've uninstalled it because I pulled the SD card from the VIOFO tonight to format it as FAT32 & see if it makes a difference...

FAT32_.JPG

And it's already FAT32. I must've done it ages ago when I was having issues with the VIOFO and just forgotten about it.

Any suggestions now? I'll have to message VIOFO support maybe and see if they can suggest anything?

It may have been converted to FAT32 by the camera.

I don't understand where things are going wrong, but when having issues with a card, normally when it has become too slow, I use the SD card formatter to reset the card with a full format, for >32GB cards I then use guiformat.exe to convert it back to FAT32. I do not normally format it in the camera. It could be that your card is ending up with the wrong layout of sectors etc. even though it is FAT32, so I suggest you give guiformat.exe a go, then you are probably in the same position as the rest of us, and if you still need assistance then it may be easier to get it.

If that was the case then I would expect more people to be reporting the problem you have, but worth a try.

Last edited:
That's a good point about sector sizes. I had a recent issue with a memory stick that wasn't being recognised.

When I checked it I noticed that the Windows format screen was trying to force a fixed allocation size. I changed this to 'default allocation size' from the drop down list and all was well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S A119 V3 8
C A119 V3 12
midinotes A119 V3 20
Back