Problems with the A118-C from Gearbest

2. Probably the most important part: I noticed that 2 screws that hold the base on the sensor board are not screwed in very tightly, so I used a screwdriver to fit it as firmly as I could. Guess that could be the main reason why one or another side becomes blurry after heating up - base does not sit tight on the board and slight deformation due to heat causes the lens and its base to move away from the sensor thus resulting in a more blurry image.

Very good info and pictures! The one thing I might do in addition to your procedure is to put a dab of epoxy (I use JB Weld) at the screw heads that hold the lens mount to the PWB to keep them from loosening due to seasonal heating and cooling. A light pass with a file will make the epoxy less likely to un-bond from the plastic mount.

My focus problem seems to be that of a lens that isn't turned in far enough, but a loosely seated mount could yield the same result.

I opened up the dashcam again(like 3rd or 4th time already).
As suggested, I tighten up the screws on the lens mount, refocused my lens again.

I wanted to do a quick check so I also used a hairdryer and tried to bring the temperature up.
The left portion of the image starts to blur a bit and once I used the "cool air" feature on the hair dryer to quickly bring the temperature back down. I can see the left side get a bit clearer again. I think there's not much more I can do.

Preheat:
preheat.jpg

Heated:
heated.jpg

Cooled:
cooled.jpg

Hi there,

First of all, sorry about my English knowledge :D

I don't know if I will have problems with blurry picture or not, so I wanted to do something in advance. Idea was to improve airflow through camera and as result to have lower temperature inside. I am aware that I will loose my warranty... but I don't care, I like DIY!

So, first, I have moved speaker to another position ( I was also thinking to cut it permanently) and I have made cutouts at side walls of enclosure.

Then, I have made cutouts at enclosure cover.

Also, I have made cutout at plastic that will be glued to windscreen

At the end...

Last edited:
Back