Purchase A119 Advice

Do you want GPS data on your dashcam?

• Total voters
no, you don't want GPS, you just want the convenience of the powered mount, in which case just open up the mount and disconnect the GPS
For my use the GPS module is an easy way to just pull off the cam without always pulling at the power cable. If we keep pulling out the power cable I have found out that if its done too often the metal male mini connector always comes off.

For my use the GPS module is an easy way to just pull off the cam without always pulling at the power cable. If we keep pulling out the power cable I have found out that if its done too often the metal male mini connector always comes off.
That's true.. I have had the USB connection wear out over time from repeated reconnects. Eventually it will cause the cam to reboot if it becomes loose enough.

The rebooting can then lead to corrupted files and firmware

I got the GPS version and have in the settings turned it to the off so it doesn't display the speed, rather just the co-oridinates. I also don't know how reliable it would be for someone prosecuting you to use a GPS device such as this, as it is not calibrated and it prone to mistakes as there is no guarantee that the input signal is accurate to the polling.

I have seen that in the unit that I have when i set it to display the speed. As I pulled up to a stop sign the speed on the video did not match what I was driving at. quite often it took a second or two to register that i had stopped and showed me traveling at a small speed even though you can see on the video that i had come to a complete stop.

but not having the GPS there introduces some other questions. Your video can be challenged as it doesn't have an un-editiable time stamp. You try and re-produce a GPS timestamp signal. it easily proves where you where at what time to match up with the video.

I have seen that in the unit that I have when i set it to display the speed. As I pulled up to a stop sign the speed on the video did not match what I was driving at. quite often it took a second or two to register that i had stopped and showed me traveling at a small speed even though you can see on the video that i had come to a complete stop.....
That is pretty much normal as most cams (at least those I'm familiar with) obtain GPS data once a second then the F/W calculates the speed as the distance traveled between locations. At best under those conditions the displayed speed will be delayed by 1 second assuming the calculations could be done instantaneously.

That is pretty much normal as most cams (at least those I'm familiar with) obtain GPS data once a second then the F/W calculates the speed as the distance traveled between locations. At best under those conditions the displayed speed will be delayed by 1 second assuming the calculations could be done instantaneously.
I check GPS speed by comparing it to voice call-outs of speedometer readings recorded in the video. Have found that my GPS speed agrees with my speedometer within 1 MPH at constant speeds. A rough subjective estimate for GPS speed lag when stopping is less than 3 seconds (perhaps somewhat dependent on the deceleration rate).

I can understand that one might not want GPS data embedded in their footage but I find the whole thing kind of amusing as well. GPS might just as easily help establish your innocence as well as your guilt.
When I purchased a dash cam, I accepted the fact that the my dash cam video could show guilt as well as innocence in determining fault in an accident. Consequently I record all GPS data all the time under the premise that more data is better in an accident investigation (just ask an air crash investigator). Unaltered dash cam videos are impartial witnesses and generally don't tell lies when set up and working properly. Humans don't always make good witnesses, and tend to bend the truth or lie outright if they have a stake in the outcome. Knowing that everything is being recorded makes me a better driver and gives me some assurance that the truth about an incident will be revealed.

5Cowbells said:
When I purchased a dash cam, I accepted the fact that the my dash cam video could show guilt as well as innocence in determining fault in an accident. Consequently I record all GPS data all the time under the premise that more data is better in an accident investigation (just ask an air crash investigator). Unaltered dash cam videos are impartial witnesses and generally don't tell lies when set up and working properly. Humans don't always make good witnesses, and tend to bend the truth or lie outright if they have a stake in the outcome. Knowing that everything is being recorded makes me a better driver and gives me some assurance that the truth about an incident will be revealed.

Very Well Put!

I check GPS speed by comparing it to voice call-outs of speedometer readings recorded in the video. Have found that my GPS speed agrees with my speedometer within 1 MPH at constant speeds. A rough subjective estimate for GPS speed lag when stopping is less than 3 seconds (perhaps somewhat dependent on the deceleration rate).....
That is exactly what I would expect to happen. At a constant speed the delay in calculation and subsequent display would not be apparent because there is no change. It's only during acceleration and deceleration that the delay becomes obvious. The lag period would be dependent on a number of factors - GPS data refresh interval and firmware efficiency being the 2 most likely.

Your poll didnt inc option for just "No" ?

I would be the pure NO group, no gps at all, just more "junk" in the way ;-) JK.

I hate polls which don't give enough options to find my own 'niche' :(
I do not want GPS data showing in my vids, nor do I want to pay for it as I won't use it. But if I otherwise like a cam which has it, then I'd buy that cam provided that I can turn the GPS off completely.

I'm not interested in anything which 'seems' to do something; all I want is that it actually do what I want of it ;)

Phil

I hate polls which don't give enough options to find my own 'niche' :(
I do not want GPS data showing in my vids, nor do I want to pay for it as I won't use it. But if I otherwise like a cam which has it, then I'd buy that cam provided that I can turn the GPS off completely.

I'm not interested in anything which 'seems' to do something; all I want is that it actually do what I want of it ;)

Phil
We will check if the GPS can be turned off completely.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D A119 0
M A119 10
E A119 5
Y A119 9
C A119 76
Back