Purchase A119 Advice

Do you want GPS data on your dashcam?

• Total voters

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, I am not sure I like the idea that GPS info is still logged even though it's set to OFF. So instead of buying the non GPS version, can someone tell me if the GPS version also come with the non-GPS mount. The photos on Amazon Canada shows the non-GPS mount but it's not there in the description.

Also, I dislike that the non-GPS version has to be plugged in from the side. I actually want the GPS version more so for the alternate power port rather than the GPS data itself.

At first, I thought it would be cool to check GPS data but given that it might be a liability, I don't want that data anymore. Anyone else? Take the poll plz!

yes. if you buy the A119 with GPS mount, it also includes a lower-profile non-GPS mount.

i know people get paranoid about having GPS info on videos but if it were used for evidence, there are so many other visual ways in the video itself to derive the speed of a vehicle so it's much of a non-issue.

I can understand that one might not want GPS data embedded in their footage but I find the whole thing kind of amusing as well. GPS might just as easily help establish your innocence as well as your guilt.

So, I am not sure I like the idea that GPS info is still logged even though it's set to OFF. So instead of buying the non GPS version, can someone tell me if the GPS version also come with the non-GPS mount. The photos on Amazon Canada shows the non-GPS mount but it's not there in the description.

Also, I dislike that the non-GPS version has to be plugged in from the side. I actually want the GPS version more so for the alternate power port rather than the GPS data itself.

At first, I thought it would be cool to check GPS data but given that it might be a liability, I don't want that data anymore. Anyone else? Take the poll plz!

I have the GPS version it logging it is not that big of a deal to me. I do blur it on my public videos but thats just me. There are 2 additional mounts that came with the A119 in addition to the GPS mount. There is a thin one and then a slightly wedge shaped one. You will need the wedge shaped one if you do not use the gps but do want the use the CPL filter.

Also there are right angle adapters that will allow a straight power cord to be vertical using the side power port on the camera. Like these:

Hope This Helps!

...but given that it might be a liability, I don't want that data anymore....
How do you feel it will be a liability any more than the video itself? If it's your speed that's a concern be assured that it can be determined by the content of the video with or without GPS data.

I can understand that one might not want GPS data embedded in their footage but I find the whole thing kind of amusing as well. GPS might just as easily help establish your innocence as well as your guilt.
You are absolutely right. If someone is involved in an accident and going 15 miles per hr over limit and its posted on the cam

You are absolutely right. Involved in an accident and going 15 miles per hr over limit

It almost happened to me the other day. I went through a notorious speed trap and just as I noticed the nose of the state police cruiser sticking out from behind the building he was hiding next to I realized that my GPS would have shown that I was just under the speed limit.

I find it a privacy issue.

I wish the A119 did not secretly embed our videos with GPS data even when set to "OFF"

There are very many reasons why a person would not want their speed and location to be secretly recorded. Too many to list...

Also you must consider the possibility of the GPS data being inaccurate (it's a Chinese budget cam after all)

For Example: If the GPS malfunctioned or lost signal , it could potentially embed the wrong speed or location into the video. If the video was subpoenaed or provided to the court in may mean the difference between a "Guilty" or "Not Guilty" verdict.

I think it's well within the manufactures capability to create a firmware update to address this privacy concern. I think quite a few people feel deceived about this.

any decent investigator would use the distances covered/time/frame rate formula to make conclusions about actual speed and won't rely solely on the displayed GPS data.

...it could potentially embed the wrong speed or location into the video.....
In the slim chance that that may occur the erroneous data (speed or location) could easily be shown as being erroneous from the content of the video itself. In addition, the fact the the GPS is not certified as being accurate it's admissibility as indisputable evidence is pretty much non-existent.

its a lot easier math to figure speed from the video itself and physical evidence at the scene than to parse the speed from changing coordinates.

do something serious and they'd be pulling the computer out of your car, majority of which from any recent year have an EDR function, maybe time to start catching the bus

In the slim chance that that may occur the erroneous data (speed or location) could easily be shown as being erroneous from the content of the video itself. In addition, the fact the the GPS is not certified as being accurate it's admissibility as indisputable evidence is pretty much non-existent.

I agree. But it's still a lot easier just to NOT embed the info in the first place.

Abiding by the speed limit won't do you any good if the GPS speed data is wrong.

Abiding by the speed limit won't do you any good if the GPS speed data is wrong.
See my post #10 above. You sound like a perfect candidate for a non-GPS camera.

in which case your side would produce video evidence of the distance covered over the allotted time and how many frames of video were captured which provides a very accurate result, far more accurate than the free GPS service used which is know to not be dead accuate

See my post #10 above. You sound like a perfect candidate for a non-GPS camera.
I'm the perfect candidate for a GPS-enabled camera with a real "Off" function

I have two GPS enabled A199's
no, you don't want GPS, you just want the convenience of the powered mount, in which case just open up the mount and disconnect the GPS
I'll probably wait for a proper firmware update to avoid voiding my warranty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B A119 2
M A119 10
E A119 5
Y A119 9
C A119 76
Back