Question about cmos sensors.

I am sure if for example tomorrow you or anybody else would launch such a ultra high-end 2ch dashcam system, - it would sell like a hot cake even for 500usd.
IMHO What we need in the US to get people spending big money on high end stuff, is insurance companies to give discounts for having dash cams. When that happens, people will consider the money well spent, they will be mainstream and there will be competition to have the best.
Not to mention quality, reliability and ease of use will be paramount. Now, I think, it's a niche market here, mostly driven by techy people (like me :D) who don't mind experimenting and figuring things out. Ok ok who like experimenting and figuring things out :cool:

Sony Exmor R, 1/3rd less pixels than Aptina AR0330, yet 3 times the price

it's the business model of a lot of companies, nothing to do with dashcams, the problem exists in every category of product

quite a lot of product 'Made in Germany' is more accurately 'Assembled in Germany' from the pieces sent from China, there's tax breaks for them doing it that way rather than importing complete product, more importantly they get to sell it as 'Made in Germany' which of course consumers know is a much better product ;)

How do you do a partial quote like that?
Sony vs. apitna is like BMW vs. kia. Base bmw is still more money and better than a luxury kia, not so much comparable i dont think.

And yes, i wansnt speaking just about dashcams but the world market in general. You have rols royce (how do you spell that? Lol) and rolex and you also have lada, opel and no name.

Yup, like that in most countys actually, most stuff here 'made in Canada' is just assembled chinese stuff. Unless its wood, or grain or a product locally made by a machine shop/ prototyping place. Which is what i do, but we even order a couple things here and there from china.

How do you do a partial quote like that?

if you mean how to split it up? Copy and paste if you like, I just hit reply, delete what I don't need, add my bit, then hit reply again and it will add the next post, rinse, repeat ...

Sony vs. apitna is like BMW vs. kia. Base bmw is still more money and better than a luxury kia, not so much comparable i dont think.

I wouldn't say so, the Sony is no doubt better than the Aptina, I'd say maybe 20% better tops, the price however is not reflective of that, 3 times the price is hard to justify

OV2710 has less pixels than the Aptina and is much cheaper, it's not comparable quality wise but the difference in cost and quality follows a similar path

Yup, like that in most countys actually, most stuff here 'made in Canada' is just assembled chinese stuff. Unless its wood, or grain or a product locally made by a machine shop/ prototyping place. Which is what i do, but we even order a couple things here and there from china.

happens everywhere, I exhibited at SEMA a couple of years ago and to be honest I was quite impressed with the amount of tech coming out Canada in comparison to other countries, seems to be quite a lot of innovation up there, something to do during the winter perhaps

[quote/]

I wouldn't say so, the Sony is no doubt better than the Aptina, I'd say maybe 20% better tops, the price however is not reflective of that, 3 times the price is hard to justify

OV2710 has less pixels than the Aptina and is much cheaper, it's not comparable quality wise but the difference in cost and quality follows a similar path[/quote]

Oh for sure, but its name brand. Like a small John Deere tractor is $5000 more than a tractor of the exact same quality. Every name brand dashcam i have seen is very overpriced and not so good. ( i can only think of HP right now, bit there has been a few.)

happens everywhere, I exhibited at SEMA a couple of years ago and to be honest I was quite impressed with the amount of tech coming out Canada in comparison to other countries, seems to be quite a lot of innovation up there, something to do during the winter perhaps

Yup, quite a bit going on here actually (ignore blackberry) we prototype a lot of stuff for the states, saudi arabia, etc... Lots of technology development for oilfield going on too, didnt know about the cars though. Any yes, it is dark when i get to work and when i leave for half the year...

Aptina sensors might not be known by consumers but in the industry it's a brand, the Sony is better (I'm being generous at 20% but whatever) and a name consumers recognise which I guess is why anyone that uses them prints Sony all over their product, the price is not justified though, anyway was just throwing an example in the mix

didnt know about the cars though.

What I noticed from Canadian companies at the show was that they were leading the way in green tech, electric vehicles, alternative fuels etc, seemed to be a lot of companies that were doing good things

Back