Question about hardwiring a dash cam

Like Phil said you have to get creative sometimes. If you look closely at the firewall there are usually a handful of access points that you can snake wires through. Sometimes there are existing wiring bundles that pass through a rubber grommet. In my Nissan there was a rubber plug that had nothing running through it. It's purpose was to give access to the engine compartment if needed.

I do not think I could afford that I am pretty handy tho, and am just wondering how I could find out where a live always on fuse/wire exists in the dash, or else how to drill or get into the engine compartment. I would think by removing the radio, I could expose an entry way in behind it, but wanted to know if anyone here had already done it, or how they found the way into the engine compartment-thru the heater core, for example?

You can make one up yourself, as I did, get yourself a 12v bulb and bulb holder, you can pick one up from a scrappy for about a pound, then a red and a black wire about 50cm long and on the black I fitted a crocodile clip cost 50p and a pin on the red wire, total cost maybe £3 or less, I had all these kicking round the garage, I fitted an LED bulb in stead of an ordinary bulb, this way you also get to know which direction the live/power is coming from,

then by proving the fuses one at a time you’ll find out which ones are live only with ignition ON and those that are live permanently,

if you’re not going to use something like this (around a 2 or 3 ££ from eBay)

then be sure which side of the fuse you connect to, or you’ll find you have no fuse between the DVR and the power source

hope this is of help

Find the fuse that is associated with your brake lights. It should be always on. Fuses that go to your entertainment (radio) will be on with the key in ACC or ON. Use a multi meter to confirm. Do NOT use a probe with a light indicator to check for a hot wire on today's electronic enabled cars. Accidentally touching the wrong wire (thus putting an unexpected load on that circuit ) could set off your air bags

Hardwiring 101 Advanced Level

Every vehicle is different, but I've always been able to find a grommet somewhere to pass a wire through although on some cars the grommets are tough and often nearly chock-full of wires already. But they are the first thing I look for as they are where the designer intended to pass wires through so you can presume them safe for that so long as you pay heed to where your wire runs otherwise. Check both sides before poking a wire through; your chosen grommet may feed into an inaccessible area on the other side! Or you can find a location, bore a hole, then pop in a "body plug" like you see closing holes under doors and uni-body frame areas, running your wire through that. Not too close to heat with these, they will melt is they get too hot but are otherwise perfect for the job. Do NOT run a wire through the common rubber grommets you find on old radios and appliances ("H" shaped when viewed sideways) because they are neither heat-resistant enough to engine bay temps nor are they sturdy enough. And always think of the other side, moving parts, heat, and crash-worthiness.

Another option for low-current items like this is to tap into the power lead going to your radio, cigarette lighter, or another non-critical element of your car wiring from inside the cabin. Either trace and test, or buy a "Haynes" manual for your vehicle model as these have a wiring diagram so you can figure out a better place to tap in at. Most folks use a "Scotch-Lock" wire tap device- those blue things you never knew the name of. You have to match the tap to the wire size- too big and no contact; too small and you damage the car wiring, possibly cutting it. I prefer to solder my taps on; you will know those details already if you have that equipment and expertise. You also need a ground which with all the plastic may not be easy to get on newer cars. Best to seek a bolt or screw where the factory attached a ground. It you're lucky you'll find a "ground bus" plate with an unused spade connection available so you can use a push-on connector.

At this point you may want to consider using this circuit to feed an accessory cigarette lighter socket too, or to use that as the method of powering your dashcam. Just remember to size the wiring and fuse to the planned load and to not overload 'tapped' circuits. Connect the power adapter per it's manufacturer instructions. You're probably wanting to route the wire to your cam in a concealed manner both for appearances and safety's sake. Before you go prying on panels and covers, be sure you're not interfering with anything else as some of today's cars have air-bags in the windshield pillars and you don't want to make alterations which will affect their operation in any way. There may be special tools needed to remove your snap-on covers without damaging them. Here again the "Haynes" manual can help with methods and tools needed. If you can access it on both ends , you might be able to run your wire through the pillar itself, but unless there are wires there already consider that there may be sharp metal edges where you can't see them so use a wire with sturdy insulation for at least that section. The usual thin stuff found on hardwiring kits is not good enough for in-pillar runs but will be OK when used under pillar covers.

If you can't go through the pillar and you can't go under it's cover because of an airbag, don't despair. Get some blue painter's masking tape and lay it 2mm away from the windshield along the pillar. Now do the same on the windshield, but closer. Run a thinnish bead of silicone sealer or even plain latex caulking along this route, then press the wire into it covering with more tape as you go. Choose a caulk color that will blend in with the surroundings, most windshields are 'blacked out' at the edges these days so black works well. If you applied too much sealer it will squish out onto your holding tape causing it to not adhere and making a mess so go light rather than heavy with the sealer. After the caulk or silicone dries peel away the top tape. Now take a very sharp knife and score carefully where the edge of the tape is on both sides, and peel the tape away slowly cutting the sealer again if it seems to be pulling loose. If the finished appearance doesn't look good enough, reapply new edge tape, run more sealer over the wire smoothing as you go with a wet fingertip, let it dry, then cut and un-tape as before. Now your wire is nearly invisible and isn't attached so firmly as to affect the panel's release in an airbag deployment but isn't going anywhere otherwise.

However you do a hard wiring install it is crucial that you fuse your new wire as close to the power source as is practical, then use an appropriate fuse and holder for the environment (waterproof for exposed under-hood). The fuse must never be rated higher than the wire you install, and is best when matched to the load. For most dashcams a 2A or 2 1/2A fuse is plenty. Also crucial is safety of the wire routing so where possible follow the factory wires and secure your wire well, always looking for potential problems as you do that. And you never ever blindly look for a 'hot wire' to tap into randomly because you might be causing problems for a safety-critical system in your vehicle or overloading that circuit. And you never ever alter a car's safety components in a way that will affect their operation.

As one gas station chain used to advertise "Happy Motoring!"
Phil

Last edited:
I just thought of something and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. Instead of me messing around adding a female cigarette receptacle under the dash or using an add-a-fuse I think I can just use the USB input on my head unit. It has 2 female USB dongles coming out of the back of the unit that can be used for adding thumb drives full of videos and songs but can also be used to plug in a cellphone to charge. Couldn't I just use a Mini-USB to standard USB cable and connect to it? I don't think the USB spec allows for more than 5V so I think it should work. And it would allow the camera to power on whenever I turned on the accessory.

Thoughts?

Yes, that would work if your camera was designed to run from a USB port... but could you hide the wires as you originally wanted to do? And.. you would be limited to power only (camera on) while the key was on.

Depends on amount of power the headunit can supply through the connector. The USB spec limiting it to 500mA while some cameras can demand more than this.
If your camera is trying to suck more power than headunit can supply and if there is no overcurrent protection on headunit then you can kill the headunit itself.

TheRookie is correct. You need to know the specs of whatever PS you're using and never assume it is adequate simply because the plugs connect. IMHO this is a design flaw which most cams fall prey to, but then again most decent USP outlets work beyond the minimum 500mA rating so in the end it usually works and one can't really fault that logic. Well not too much.

Phil

Thanks I'll need to do a little research on the USB power output. I'm thinking of getting the mobius which I believe is limited to 5 but I'm not sure what kind of amp draw it has.

I do know that I've used the dongle to charge my Samsung Galaxy s5. Not sure what the charge rate was though. Didn't notice it being any different from the 1 amp car charger I currently use.

I've had the need/opportunity to check the amperage provided by the USB ports on 3 different vehicles from 3 different manufacturers and none of them were higher than .38A so the cautions you've received are well founded. Confirm what's available before committing.

I'm thinking of getting the mobius which I believe is limited to 5 but I'm not sure what kind of amp draw it has.

From the Mobius Manual ... 'Only use quality chargers capable of supplying 1000mA (1A) and a stable voltage of at least 5V. Low quality chargers may not be able to supply enough current and can lead to premature battery failure or, in the worst case, even destroy the camera'.

Back