Questionable aliexpress experience.

indolent

Reaction score
Country
United States
After reading this forum for a while I finally bit and decided to get a Mini 0801 dashcam from what sounds like a reputable dealer on aliexpress. Both times I've tried paying it seems to go through, then a couple hours later, it gets canceled for "security reasons." It gives me the option to re-add the item to my cart to retry to buy it or to send in verification information. This is where it gets sketchy. They want photo copies of an ID or Passport, Credit card copies (front and back) and credit card statement. I'm using a citi card virtual account number, so a copy of the card would probably just confuse them more...

Why would any reputable site ask for this information?

I would not give them that kind of information or purchase product from the company.

Yeah, I definitely won't. It seems like there are may people on their own forum that have this same issue without getting much of a response at all. Not very comforting.

Plenty of people seem to be able to order from them without issues so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Can you give direct link to that product.

Here is the specific product I'm trying to order:
It does not appear to be a problem with the vendor (Givoe), but with aliexpress itself. Givoe emailed fairly quickly after it was canceled saying the payment didn't go through to aliexpress and asked me to try again.

Givoe is confirmed and a trusted seller of the Mini 0801.
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/#Where_to_purchase_for_lowest_price

Someone mentioned that the sate of Washington has some legal thing preventing AliExpress orders from going through. (just Washington, not sure why)

Which state do you live in?

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply it was Givoe with the problems if that is how it sounded. It seems to be something with aliexpress. Searches on the issue just bring up posts in other forums with the same issue without any real solution other than to send them an insane amount of personal information. I was just alarmed at their request.

I did see some posts about the Washington thing. I am in Minnesota so that shouldn't be an issue as far as I know.

I am having a bad experiance with Aliexpress as well at the moment.

Back in August ordered a GS1000 the item was sent according to the tracking and was according the the tracking delivered. However on investigation the courier at this end has "accidentally" signed for the delivery and left it somewhere, or as I suspect stolen the parcel.

I have had numerous correspondance with Aliexpress over this all in rather poorly worded english responses which resulted in me contacting NZ Post and establishing the facts of the delivery. Aliexpress should have been the ones tracing this package and yet they pass the buck with excuses and as I said poorly worded english replies.

I am left with a situation I have now got the Police involved to investigate the courier, NZ Post saying under the IPC agreement the Sender (Ali express) should be making a compensation claim and Aliexpress saying I should be. Meanwhile despite several emails forwarded from myself and NZ Post they have made no attempt to contact china post who sent the package. So leftcouple hundred dollars out of pocket.

Makes me not want to deal with Aliexpress ever again as the after sales customer service sucks!

Dishonest guy on your end, could happen regardless of the seller, unless it was an insured delivery you might not have any recourse

Personally if I've ever had anything go missing I just replace it and wear the cost, not obliged to but just the way we do things

There's a local seller in NZ that does the 0801, maybe other models as well, might be worth buying locally next time if delivery could be an issue

Aliexpress does not have the greatest reputation for customer service. Hence if you purchase from there you need to stick with the most trusted sellers and even then it is more risky than eBay, Amazon or a local seller.

Only reason I found out the chain of events is because of my own investigating. The approach of Aliexpress with the email exchange reached over 4 pages without a resolution I thought dino direct was slack when they sent a camera that did not work. At least Dino Direct took note and refunded with Aliexpress they seem to think I will still deal with them in the future well they have blown it with the email exchange.

One line stuck out "It could be months before we reach a decision" months??? Thats called waiting until no channels recourse available because its beyond the time limits.

Who is this local seller in NZ you refer to?

Has anyone noticed that Aliexpress.com doesn't even have a SSL certificate (fails to switch to https if attempted) on the pages where you are asked for for private information like name, address , etc?

I would not give them that kind of information or purchase product from the company.

Lol, you might as well include your bank account numbers, mother's maiden name, family pet's name, and a recent picture.

Back