Quick Release Dash Cam Mounts?

Cheechungu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Momento M5 front and rear dash cam system. It is fix mounted to the windshield, behind the rear view but slightly to the left so that I can see the display (barely so, I might add, unless you have telescopic vision). The mount is affixed to the windshield with adhesive and only moves up and down. When I was trying to drive onto a military installation yesterday, the security policeman who checked my ID card told me that I had to take down my dash cam. Since this was not an easy thing to do, I had to pull off to a temporary parking area, disconnect the three cables, and unscrew the camera from the hinged mount. This consisted of a pin that fitted through holes in the hinged mount and the camera itself, then secured with a tightener on the end.

Since this is not an acceptable or quick1 way to comply with the requirement to remove my dash cam, I could really use some ideas on a easily removable mount, something either on the windshield itself, or mounted below the rear view. For perspective, I have attached a front and a side view of the dash cam. Thank you.

Attachments

• Momento M5 Dash Cam_Front View.jpg
    Momento M5 Dash Cam_Front View.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Momento M5 Dash Cam_Side View.jpg
    Momento M5 Dash Cam_Side View.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 9
Most wedge shaped dashcams like the viofo and street guardian ASO have a camera that slide on the mount on the windscreen.
I also think most blackvue and thinkware are able to be taken tool less off the mount.

your old camera you could glue a piece of metal yo your windscreen with dual sided tape, and then fit a few neodymium magnets to the clear base of the camera, but you might also need a thin sheet of rubber in between the 2 so there are more friction in between the 2 parts clamped together by the magnets gripping the metal.

It do appear to be a 2 prong mount, so i wonder if it is compatible with gopro mounts.
VpLWCb0.jpg

If you or a friend have a gopro action camera you could try and see if your dashcam can fit with their mounting system.

Just mesured the prongs on my camera mount, and they are 3 mm wide and the gap between the two are 3.2 mm, so if the 2 prongs on the camera side of your mount are 3 mm, then you should be able to use a gopro part with a finger screw.

Last edited:
You could probably also just replace the screw on the original mount with a finger screw so you don't need a screwdriver or Allen key to loosen the thing.

Here are three images with the pin and screw on fastener that attaches to the mount (shown in my first post) glued to the windshield. In reality, it doesn't take long to remove (about a minute), but once a security policeman orders you to remove it, he/she won't allow you to hold up the line of cars behind you, waiting to enter. I need something that would allow me to quickly1 disconnect the camera from the mount. Even something with a finger screw won't be quick enough. I think what I'm looking for is a housing to attach to the camera, and that would be affixed to the windshield or rear view mirror.

Attachments

• Dash Cam1.png
    Dash Cam1.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Dash Cam2.png
    Dash Cam2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Dash Cam3.png
    Dash Cam3.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
I'm trying to think if one of the multi-cam aftermarket mounts has something you can epoxy onto that flat mounting plate? Like one of the mirror arm mounting kits?

Other than magnets, doesn't look like there is a way, unless there is a keyed slot under that screw base on the cam? Have you tried to slide that out?
Can't tell if that mount on the cam is part of the case molding or ????

???
Go to home depot, get a few 1/4x 20 nuts, maybe even the nylon ones they sell? Drill a hole in that flat mounting plate. Epoxy a nut on both sides of the hole, maybe even with some fender washers for weight distribution. Run a 1/4x 20 nylon bolt through it, then just use a standard 1/4x 20 threaded mount, suction or otherwise.

Back