Quick test of just received prototype CPL (Circular Polarizer/Linear ) filter for the B4k

I just noticed my dirty rear window today, and as it was after the car wash it must be on the inside, i just dont get it i am pretty sure i have not been throwing mud around the inside of my car, but clearly i have to clean the rear window inside again very soon.

@estore009 The CPL filter seems to be falling off by itself when I'm driving and the outdoor temperature is below 30 celcius. When I put it back on, there's not very much friction too. Is it supposed to be magnetic? I'm wondering if I should put some very thin double tape around base of the lens so that it would hold on to the CPL better.

• Haha
Reactions: EGS
I would think if temps are cooler it would be less likely to fall off.

Not received mine yet, so can't help further.

But you shouldn't be expected to use extras to hold it in place.

Paul.

@estore009 The CPL filter seems to be falling off by itself when I'm driving and the outdoor temperature is below 30 celcius. When I put it back on, there's not very much friction too. Is it supposed to be magnetic? I'm wondering if I should put some very thin double tape around base of the lens so that it would hold on to the CPL better.
I haven't had this issue yet but you could use some PTFE tape (plumbers/pipe tape) which is very thin and will stretch around the circumference of the lens nice and tight.

I've give the plumber's tape a try, tho I'm not too stoked about white ring created around the lens. Oh well, better than the CPL falling off repetitively and eventually it might break.

Shim it tight with a piece of thin black paper. Just a small strip, not all the way round ought to do the trick ;)

Phil

Yeah i would also just increase the diameter of the lens barrel, with tiny droplets of something,,,,,, not the easy to run to CA glue, probably some varnish would do the trick.

After having dropped off another 3-4 times in the last 8 hours of driving the car, I decided something had to be done, so a thin film of plumbers' tape it is. So far seems to be holding up OK. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

1624266960992.png

To keep it on, could you use a spot of hot glue in 3 or 4 spots around the circumference of the CPL filter and the lens?

After having dropped off another 3-4 times in the last 8 hours of driving the car, I decided something had to be done, so a thin film of plumbers' tape it is. So far seems to be holding up OK. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

View attachment 57107

I've used a similar technique using a stretchable, 3M rubberized electrical tape. Being rubberized, it provides extra friction and holding power. Using the same tape without stretching it, I've created lens caps for zoom lenses I use on my Mobius cams by lining the inside of a plastic screw-on cap from a small vitamin bottle with a layer of this tape and it works great!

I agree that blu-tac is a good option but if you want or need a more secure option, an excellent choice is UV curing glue. One or two tiny dabs around the edge and you're all set, but it is easy to remove cleanly with minimal effort.

lazerbond.jpg

I've used a similar technique using a stretchable, 3M rubberized electrical tape. Being rubberized, it provides extra friction and holding power. Using the same tape without stretching it, I've created lens caps for zoom lenses I use on my Mobius cams by lining the inside of a plastic screw-on cap from a small vitamin bottle with a layer of this tape and it works great!

I agree that blu-tac is a good option but if you want or need a more secure option, an excellent choice is UV curing glue. One or two tiny dabs around the edge and you're all set, but it is easy to remove cleanly with minimal effort.

View attachment 57162

Wow that looks really awesome. I've not seen anything like this where I am. Looks handy for microcracks and also maybe fixing wires along a corner maybe. Removing it easy I hope?

Wow that looks really awesome. I've not seen anything like this where I am. Looks handy for microcracks and also maybe fixing wires along a corner maybe. Removing it easy I hope?
Yeah, it cleans off easily all in all. Depends on what you've glued together. A filter on a lens like yours, no problem.

Visbella is a good brand but there are many others, Do some varied searches for UV Glue or UV curing cement or something like that.

Back