Rare dashcam project

FalconView

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello there!!!. This is my first time here! :):)

Well, first of all I don't know anything about dashcams so I came here in search of wishdom. I have a small company of two helicopters in Spain and I have an idea for safety purposes were dashcams (for example, I don't know if there is other ways that could be even better) can be helpful to me. The problem is that I don't know how this things are named or refered in the dashcam/video world for actually googleling it, so excuse me if I seem/ sound too basic or obvious. (I constanntly google things like "front/rear camera one file video" and stupid combinations like that) :rolleyes:

I want to record two cameras in only one file. Mounting both images in one file at the same moment is a must. (USB drive, SD card doesn't matter).
I need to put one camera outside the helicopter and other inside it, to record my passengers for safety purposes. That's easy thing, but the main subject is that I need a software that mounts both videos in only one file, so I don't know how is this technology (Or specific dashcam models) called to google it. Due our busy agendas, we cant stop flying to mount and render both videos in one, with a computer and have a person to do it for us.

I used to have a camera that recorded both images front and rear, but both lenses were attached to the body/hardware, and I need them separated, so I know this exists already. Also I want to know if there is any chance to get a camera that offers one of the views in a corner (like a minimap in a videogame) and not only half screen per lense. I don't even know to be seen both images in real time and I don't really care about video quality (if its HD, well, that's better of course) or price. Ionly want to know if this is possible and options out there. Even if someone had this ideas before me in this forum.

Other options I thought were to install some CCTV lenses and a mini monitor linked to a screen recorder or something similar.

I don't know if this is even too stupid to ask. But I came here since I don't know who else to look for, tired of watching reviews on Youtube were I don't really know if theyoutubers put the raw files in theis videos or if they edit the fact ofshowing a mini view of one of the cameras in the corner while the other runs at the same time.
Thank you a lot in advance!!! :cool::giggle::giggle:

there are some cameras that record two channels to one file, but it's not picture in picture which is what it sounds like you're asking for, the cameras that do record two streams to a single file though are generally poor quality and only work with a supplied player

Due our busy agendas, we cant stop flying to mount and render both videos in one, with a computer and have a person to do it for us.
I don't know of any cameras that will do this, but if you use a dual dashcam, maybe a motorbike camera so that you have waterproof lenses, then you can get the ffmpeg software to copy the files off the SD card onto your computer and change them from 2 files into 1 file as it copies. Somebody would have to start the copy, but then it can be left to finish the job, might take a few hours if you have a full big card, but it only needs 30 seconds to start it copying. And before the first time you use it, you need someone to configure a batch file to tell ffmpeg what to do.

if you desire the cameras to be separate, then how are the video files supposed to be combined into one ? It seems we are missing some info on being able to point you in the right direction...
Auto racing acquisition systems might be able to do some of the stuff that you want.

Not sure why you need both channels on one file? With most dual-channel dashcams there is a separate file for each cam, but the file naming method makes clear the ones which are recorded together, such as 1234F and 1234R (meaning front and rear cams) or 1234A and 1234B meaning the same thing. Some use date/time for the numbers which can help you find the videos you want more quickly :)

Many video players and editing programs will allow you to view these together at the same time in various ways such as side-by-side, one over the other, or picture-in-picture. So for viewing purposes even though there are two files, they can be seen as one together with certainty that they were recorded together :cool:

Of course any externally-mounted cam will need to be waterproof, and several dashcams can now do this, either being sold that way or by purchasing the external cam separately. Be sure your choice of cam mounts very solidly where you want it- dashcams don't give good video if they're vibrating in use ;)

Phil

Back