Rear Camera Polarizer

1 Grumpy Veteran

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious if anyone has tried polarizing film on a rear window or does it distort the image too much? I know it is a linear as opposed to circular but want to know if it is a possible way to cut glare etc from vehicles behind me.

You just need a small piece over the lens, about 20 x 20mm. If you put it on the rear window, you would need a huge piece to cover most of the window.

Linear polarising film works well, rotated so that the polarisation is exactly vertical; there is no need for it to be circularly polarised.

I prefer to run a CPL filter on my rear camera, take a lot of the sky glare in the windscreen of the car behind me.

Is there a cpl that fits the rear cam? Viofo A229 Pro
Currently this is as good as it gets;

You can request one here;

Last edited:
Is there a cpl that fits the rear cam? Viofo A229 Pro
No i think you are forced to go the DIY route.
For many years Viofo and others using the little wedge remote cameras, you could use the same CPL on those as the front main unit would be using, but that time is over now Viofo have changed to the small Cylinder shape which dont really have a way a CPL could lock onto it, well unless you make the filter holder so it could reach all around the camera body.

The old wedge type CPL filters had a notch above and below the lens that they would snap into, but the A229 rear cameras have nothing like that just smooth bodies

but the A229 rear cameras have nothing like that just smooth bodies
They do have a flat area around the lens for attaching a piece of linear polarising film using double sided sticky tape or pads. On most of them, the lens is below the level of the flat area, if not then use a sticky pad with enough thickness that the film doesn't touch the lens.

Yeah that is probably the way to go about it, but i would prefer a removable solution, not least so i had a chance to move it to my next camera like i have dont with SG and Viofo cameras

Back