Rear camera wiring modification help.

Mossey

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just purchased an OBDpeak A900 4k dashcam. I ordered a rear camera with it (1080P). The rear camera plugs into the main camera with a 3.5mm TRRS mini plug. The cable is about 5m long and at about 18" from the camera it has keyed 4 prong plug. Out of this plug is the a red reverse trigger wire. I plan to use the camera as an inside the cab camera so I need to shorten the cable to about a foot long. I plugged the rear camera into the main camera and it works fine without the trigger wire connected which is what I want. So I cut the plug from one end 6"" and cut the wire 6" short of the camera. Problem is now when I connect (solder ) wire together, no workie! The camera end has 3 wires red, green, white the plug end has 3 wires yellow, red, black + shielding + single fine bare wire. Got no idea what to connect to what. Tried mixing up the coloured wires without luck. Any help would be appreciated

I have not received any advice so maybe more details are required. I do not get what is going on here or how this can be made to work. I want to shorten this line to less than 12" long and eliminate the Plug

Attachments

• A900 Rear Camera Photo.jpg
    A900 Rear Camera Photo.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 22
  • A900 Rear Camera Wiring.jpg
    A900 Rear Camera Wiring.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 23
I have never seen a rear camera connect in this manner, most often it use a SUB plug or in other cases the camera are on a coaxial wire carrying both power and the signal from the camera, but these then use a MCX plug and not a regular mini jack like you have here.

But ! this brand of camera are also very new to me, never heard of it before.

Do you still have each 4 prong end? If you have them and they have some cable still on them you can plug them together then (if you have a multimeter) test for continuity between each wire

wires.png

Thanks to Joe
Do you still have each 4 prong end? If you have them and they have some cable still on them you can plug them together then (if you have a multimeter) test for continuity between each wire

View attachment 61942
Thanks so much for the idea. I am ashamed I never thought of it. I gave up the continuity angle when it would not work trying to identify the posts in the TRRS mini plug. I have it working using Joe384 suggestion.

Attachments

• A900 Rear Camera Wiring Result.jpg
    A900 Rear Camera Wiring Result.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 23
Back