Rear Dash cam

winter4w

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1WH
So I got a G1WH as my front dash cam but I would like to get a camera for the back. Any good recomendations?

So I got a G1WH as my front dash cam but I would like to get a camera for the back. Any good recomendations?
Same thing but with a 3M adhesive mount.

SGZC12RC (aka Panorama X1) is what I have as my rear camera in my own personal car. (main DVR in the glove box)

56yzP9w.png

Last edited:
Today Mobius, tomorrow JooVuuX.
I have mobius , and i like that red blinking led witch shows that it's working and recording.

What is your budget ( close to G1WH ) or higher ?

It's hard to beat the Mobius for a rear dash cam-----very small, discreet, various lens and FOV options, ultra reliable, affordable. (super-capacitor option recommended)

Last edited:
With rear cameras if you have privacy glass that makes a massive difference - if you have and you drive at night you really want to be thinking about something more sensitive like the Sony Exmor based cameras as other cameras would just give you street lights, head lights and that's about it.

Yes, it'll be not discreet if that's the idea.
This is how it looked on my rear window:

g1wh-suction-cup-vaseline-jpg.6784

Last edited by a moderator:
might have been less obvious without those big red arrows :p
Your wish is granted. So you noticed arrows but not the rubber band, eh?
Here you go:;)
20140806_172306-copy-jpg.6596

For discreet, something like the size of Lukas LK-7950WD rear cam is great.
This picture is perfect to compare how the G1WH and Lukar rear cam look on the rear window:
It's up close in garage with flash so both look clear. While driving or parking outside, the reflections hide them a lot.
dsc01914-lk-7950wd-g1wh-jpg.12053

Yes, it'll be not discreet if that's the idea.
This is how it looked on my rear window:

g1wh-suction-cup-vaseline-jpg.6784

It is usually best to place your mount up on the headliner and have the camera just peeking out the top portion of the glass. It will be much more stealthy than sticking it to the middle of your rear windshield. If you have a G1WH the nice thing is that there are many different types of compatible mounts available that will work with the camera.

With rear cameras if you have privacy glass that makes a massive difference - if you have and you drive at night you really want to be thinking about something more sensitive like the Sony Exmor based cameras as other cameras would just give you street lights, head lights and that's about it.
So true.

When I first bought 2 SG9665GC's (1 for me, 1 for my wife's car) I put the second one in my car as a rear cam just to test it out for a few days. (My car has pretty dark privacy glass.) I decided that an A118-C would be more cost effective as a rear cam so got one for my car. It's fine as a rear cam during the day but as you can see from the following videos it 'suffers' at night.

These 2 videos were taken from the same vehicle, driving down the same road, at the same time of day. If anything the A118-C should have had an advantage because that clip was from over a month later and it's noticeably lighter as you can tell by the sky.

SG wins by a pretty large margin...

SG9665GC -

A118-C -

It is usually best to place your mount up on the headliner and have the camera just peeking out the top portion of the glass. It will be much more stealthy than sticking it to the middle of your rear windshield. If you have a G1WH the nice thing is that there are many different types of compatible mounts available that will work with the camera.
I don't have it on the rear anymore.
Now I have the Lukas on one and Dome Z7 on the other one.

I was just sayin'. I really mentioned it and provided a link to the different mounts in the event the OP might still be considering the G1WH for his rear mounted cam in order to fit his budget. Not the best cam for the job of course, but it can work if mounted properly. A lot depends on the particular vehicle.

The dome z7 seems to be around the price of the G1WH and is smaller. Do you have a video to show how good the quality is on it?

I was just sayin'. I really mentioned it and provided a link to the different mounts in the event the OP might still be considering the G1WH for his rear mounted cam in order to fit his budget. Not the best cam for the job of course, but it can work if mounted properly. A lot depends on the particular vehicle.
If I had a SUV I would probably get the G1WH as a rear dash cam but I got a LS400 which will be too big for the rear window. What are your views on the dome z7?

What are your views on the dome z7?

I don't think the dome Z7 will be very discreet. After all, it's shiny, has big chrome circles and LEDs on the front and is not a stealthy shape or design. Also, it's basically just another generic Chinese camera that's looks a lot like others on the market.

As I've said before, the Mobius is the one I'd recommend. It is hands down the best value for money you will find in an under 100 dollar camera. Compared to others in that price range you get a high quality, very versatile camera rather than a cheap compromise. It's also the stealthiest option for a rear cam.

Last edited:
Back