Rear End Accident !

Would be interested to hear who was in the wrong? What does 'Yellow Light' mean in the Canadian highway code?

Would be interested to hear who was in the wrong? What does 'Yellow Light' mean in the Canadian highway code?
means the same as everywhere else - its about to turn red and if you can safely stop, you should. the crv probably could have gone but stopped instead, and cam car reacted a little slow and probably didnt have abs, so slid into the crv. had a few close calls myself when i was a new driver and didnt have abs. once i only missed hitting the truck in front of me by about 2 inches. it was close enough that we both got out and looked to make sure there hadn't been contact.

I take it that the CRV stopped the wrong side of the stop lines?
In which case that is what triggered the accident.

If you drive into the back of someone then it is almost always counted as your fault whatever the excuse.

I take it that the CRV stopped the wrong side of the stop lines?
In which case that is what triggered the accident.

If you drive into the back of someone then it is almost always counted as your fault whatever the excuse.
Wrong side meaning that the crv was partly in the intersection once he finally stopped?

I figure the cam car probably didn't expect the crv to do a full panic stop like that, and that probably factored into the accident. At least it looked like a slow bump so probably not much damage.

...probably didnt have abs, so slid into the crv....

That called driving too fast for conditions. Do that and you are at fault.

Watching the video again it looks like even if the CRV had gone through the intersection on yellow, the cam car would have gone through on red. At a minimum there was a lack of proper attention on the part of the driver.

That called driving too fast for conditions. Do that and you are at fault.

Wrong. He/ she wasn't keeping a safe gap, especially since roads are wet.

Watching the video again it looks like even if the CRV had gone through the intersection on yellow, the cam car would have gone through on red. At a minimum there was a lack of proper attention on the part of the driver.

yes, might have gone on red, but lack of proper attention had nothing to do with the accident here, crash happened because cam car was only one second behind in wet roads, instead of 3 second safe distance.
The fact that the CRV didn't didn't immediately react to Orange and given how close it was to lights, gave cam car driver the impresion it was going through the lights, still all comes back to driving too close in the wet, 100% cam car's fault.

..., 100% cam car's fault.

That's what I said. Driving to fast for conditions and not able to stop when the vehicle in front did.

I didn't disagree with you on who is at fault.

I disagreed about driving too fast for the conditions and the lack of paying proper attention. How do you know if they were driving too fast for the conditions?
Do you know their speed and the posted speed limit?
You don't and neither do I. Cam car braked immediately after seeing CRV brake, so driver WAS paying attention.

The fact a safe gap was not maintained is the root cause of this accident.

The fact a safe gap was not maintained is the root cause of this accident.
The other way to say that is the speed was too great for the distance between vehicles. ;)

Yes you can change it to that, but if you originally said driving too close for conditions, instead of saying driving too fast....I would have understood you better.

I was just reading from someone on a different forum saying he/ she keeps a 10-15meters gap whether on highway or city streets. He/she thought that that was a very safe distance. At 100kph 12.5 meters goes by in just half a second.....

Yes you can change it to that, but if you originally said driving too close for conditions, instead of saying driving too fast....I would have understood you better......

A possible explanation for my choice of words might very well be that yesterday was my birthday :) and today I am still feeling the after effects :( - 'nuff said.

A possible explanation for my choice of words might very well be that yesterday was my birthday :) and today I am still feeling the after effects :( - 'nuff said.
Happy birthday for yesterday in that case :) Sounds like you had a good one :D

As long as it is not one of those accidents that demand a bath and a change of underwear :p

I'm with you there - today is my first day home after 4 days of solid drinking on a bachelor party :D

...after 4 days of solid drinking on a bachelor party :D

My kind of party, although I'm getting much to old to do it justice - or even survive that long. :eek:

Back