rear view camera

alferret

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Brought an E-Prance 0803 got an 0805 now using a B48.
I have the mini 0805 for my front facing camera with GPS and I'm thinking of a rear view camera.
I don't want to spend a ton of money, it doesn't need GPS but would need good quality recording in 1080 what would be the best bang for buck, I'm in the UK.

Ask 10 guys and you get 10 dirrefent suggestions.
My suggestion is mobius.
Good quality, small size, upside down image if installation requires.

Hey guys first time posting here.

I'll be buying Dashcams for my entire family, four cars in total. For my primary I'm heavily leaning towards the Panorama. I haven't decided about the S versus the G, though. Some of my family members have a tendency to go 80mph on the highway, and I don't really wanna have them end up self incriminated. Maybe some of you guys can shed some light on that? I'm not sure if you can disable the GPS at all or if you can only turn the cam completely off?

But to the main reason for the post, I'm wondering about having cameras facing behind you as well as in front. Anyone think that this is worthwhile? Or is the forward facing one sufficient? I'm having trouble finding rear ones that are standalone, and the ones that come as combo seem to kinda suck. I also don't wanna spend that extra money if the front is gonna take care of my needs.

Thanks for your input.

Rear definitely gives a full picture of what's going on and is definitely worth it.

You can block the data from any video you publish, but if they are speeding there are other ways to tell. Any investigation would include measurement of distance over time anyway.

Know what you mean about being sucky. Best on market is X2 and its only downside is form factor, but that's better than a hit on quality.

Thanks I'm gonna check that one out now. I'm probably gonna get the G rather than the S, then. Thanks for the info about rear facing, too. Definitely gonna go ahead and get those for the cars, too.

But to the main reason for the post, I'm wondering about having cameras facing behind you as well as in front. Anyone think that this is worthwhile?

Yes, a rear view camera is a very worthwhile thing to have. I wouldn't be without one.

Consider a Mobius as a rear view camera. It is extremely reliable, configurable and very discreet in the rear windscreen. The "B" wide angle lens is perfect for this application but you also have the option of the narrower view "A" lens or the much wider FOV of the recently introduced "C" lens.

I have the mini 0805 for my front facing camera with GPS and I'm thinking of a rear view camera.
I don't want to spend a ton of money, it doesn't need GPS but would need good quality recording in 1080 what would be the best bang for buck, I'm in the UK.

How much is: " ... I don't want to spend a ton of money " ?

Perhaps this other "Rear View Camera" thread, also posted today can get merged with this one?
It's always a good idea to see if the subject one wants to post about already exists. (FWIW, this one appears to have been posted first :))

Edit: It appears that the two rear view camera threads have indeed been merged. Thanks DCM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask 10 different guys and get...
I concur with the Mobius - you could even buy a lens extension so the cam's body can be completely hidden.

Another 0805, don't need the GPS, could even go for an 0801 if you really want to save a little money.

How do you guys get power to the rear dashcam? Is there some sort of wiring harness that you guys use?

I'm thinking of getting a rear dash cam and I'm just wondering how to get power to it because there are no 12V outlets at the back of my car

How do you guys get power to the rear dashcam? Is there some sort of wiring harness that you guys use?

I'm thinking of getting a rear dash cam and I'm just wondering how to get power to it because there are no 12V outlets at the back of my car

Depending on your vehicle I would recommend a shielded 10 or 15 foot USB 2.0 "A" Male to mini -"B" 5pin Male cable from Monoprice such as:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5449&seq=1&format=2 (10 foot)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=3897&seq=1&format=2 (ferrite core 10 foot )

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5450&seq=1&format=2 ( ferrite core 15 f0ot)

Use these cables with a 12V cigar lighter power adapter such the Anker 24W Dual-Port USB Car Charger.

Last edited:
You could also run a 12 volt wire to the rear and from there install a cigarette lighter.

Thanks for the replies about which camera, much appreciated.
Have purchased a second 0805 for my wife but I may run that in my car and get her something else, maybe a dual camera setup.

Out of interest, how is everyone routing the cable to the camera / whereabouts at the rear are you positioning the camera?

I have a spare cam which I was going to put in the back of my car (hatchback/MPV) but I'm bit stumped where the best position would be, and what happens to the cable when the back is open.

Out of interest, how is everyone routing the cable to the camera / whereabouts at the rear are you positioning the camera?

I have a spare cam which I was going to put in the back of my car (hatchback/MPV) but I'm bit stumped where the best position would be, and what happens to the cable when the back is open.
With a mini camera it is best to put it right at the top of the tailgate, in the centre if you don't have a brake light there, otherwise on the drivers side as close to the centre as it can go. Mount it on the glass as normal. That way it only moves a few cm when the tailgate is opened and there isn't much impact when it closes. The cable just needs a short loop of slack between body and tailgate so it can reach the few extra cm when open. My cable is an extension that runs straight across the roof from the front reading light where it tees off the cable to the front camera, normally there is plenty of space inside the roof lining and you can get the cable through just by pushing it with some sort of flexible stick, no need to take the roof lining right down.

Not sure about other types of camera, some people make a bracket attached to the body so the camera doesn't move when the tailgate opens, seems to work well for the Mobius. Not sure I'd trust a suction mount on a tailgate.

Reactions: ydc

I have a "spare" gs9000 from hiting the wrong button just before placing my order. I extended the add-a-fuse circuit by splicing a second loose 12v socket and fished the provided cord under the console and carpet and past the back seat to the rear window. A slender fiberglass rod from a discarded toy helped me fish the wire. I replaced the suction cup with 3m tape so it won't fall off due to the defogger lines and hid the wire behind finishes. I suspect you could parrallel the hatch wires for similar install.

One issue I have is interference with the radio because the antenna like the defroster is part of the rear glass. This limits locations to the lower side of the window and behind a rear headrest to minimize loss of view. Thanks to a post here I just added a ferrite filter that seems to help.

The rake of the rear window is much greater than my windshield. Fortunately the mount had enough adjustment.

Many here seek a descrete install, but I somewhat disagree. If someone is following close enough to see your dashcam, you may want them to know your filming.

Back