Rear window standalone dash cams ideas

yeah i have a back door on the SUV. i have placed the camera on the dome lamp housing so the cam does not touch the back glass at all. pretty nice setup for me.

i notice a bunch of the cameras are mounted without any concern for the windows defrosters lines, does that not bother the hell out of you, i have a hatch back truck, and it looks like i will be able to nearly butt up the camera to the glass, hence going between the lines, has anyone tried that...
Depending on the focal point of the lens sometimes they'll get slightly blurred out of the way anyway - the A118 was much closer to the glass than the GT680W due to the way they mount and you can see the lines are much less visible on the A118.

Depending on the focal point of the lens sometimes they'll get slightly blurred out of the way anyway - the A118 was much closer to the glass than the GT680W due to the way they mount and you can see the lines are much less visible on the A118.

yes they seem to disappear...thanks for the videos

My requirements for the rear is simple. Easy mount, decent video, reliable and preferably cheap. Using a i1000 for this purpose. All options turned off including the second channel off. The only thing that runs is the "rec" hopefully extending useful lifetime hours. Easy to adjust with powerful suction mount directly against my rear glass hatch on 1996 4Runner. Then again there are several dozen vendors cloning this model so your experience and satisfaction most assuredly will vary.

Last edited:
The lines will clear of fog first, but then you have a line going through the middle of the picture. Always a trade-off.
I tried mounting my 2nd camera to the rear window with the suction cup, but then it was too close to the FM antenna and distroyed my reception. (the FM antenna is built into the rear window defroster wires).

IMG_0112.JPG Here is mine Mounted under trim in front of tailgate in a Passat TDI wagon.

Has never fallen off in Queensland heat and dont have to worry about defrosting up here.

Is a Blackvue Dr350

Attachments

• IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 23
thats how i have the dome g90 a70 setup in the suv. ive mounted it to the dome (no pun intended!) lamp cover via the sucker (Suction mount).

thats how i have the dome g90 a70 setup in the suv. ive mounted it to the dome (no pun intended!) lamp cover via the sucker (Suction mount).

Yes, that's my second choice. If any problem should develop using present location then I'll suction it to the rear dome housing.

Sorry to resurrect an old post.
I am trying to decide where to fit Thinkware F770 rear camera in my Audi SQ5.
Top and centre of the rear screen seems to be where most have fitted, but I am concerned this will obstruct rear view?

Thats minimal i would not be bothered about that., i hardly notice my joovuu X cam in my back window.

Hope your rear wiper have coverage where you put it, it is pretty nice to have that if your car like mine accumulate a lot of dirt back there.

Many thanks for your reassuring comments

Top and centre of the rear screen seems to be where most have fitted, but I am concerned this will obstruct rear view?
I have an SG9665GC mounted top/center in the rear of my CUV and have no visibility issues. When initially installed you'll be aware of it but after a day or two it becomes like your rear view mirror - you're only aware of it when you consciously think about it.

I did wonder if it might be better placed at bottom of the rear screen where it would be in the area swept by the wiper but out of rear view mirror.

I did wonder if it might be better placed at bottom of the rear screen where it would be in the area swept by the wiper but out of rear view mirror.
Normally your rear view mirror looks through the bottom of the rear screen to see the vehicles behind, putting the camera at the bottom would block the view. Putting it at the top, where a lot of cars have the high level brake light, is not an issue.

It doesn't really need to be in the area swept by the wipers as if mounted at the top then it will look through most of the glass area including that swept by the wipers, only the top of the image will be affected by the un-wiped area and the sky will not have much of interest in it anyway. If mounted at the bottom then most of the image will be of your car, not the view behind!

Thanks for your comments, please be advised:
Normally your rear view mirror looks through the bottom of the rear screen to see the vehicles behind, putting the camera at the bottom would block the view. Putting it at the top, where a lot of cars have the high level brake light, is not an issue.
In my vehicle the rear view mirror looks through the top.

It doesn't really need to be in the area swept by the wipers as if mounted at the top then it will look through most of the glass area including that swept by the wipers, only the top of the image will be affected by the un-wiped area and the sky will not have much of interest in it anyway. If mounted at the bottom then most of the image will be of your car, not the view behind!
The camera would be mounted close to the screen and thus looks through only a small portion on the glass. I believe it is important that the area it looks through is clear.

Thanks for your comments, please be advised:

In my vehicle the rear view mirror looks through the top.

The camera would be mounted close to the screen and thus looks through only a small portion on the glass. I believe it is important that the area it looks through is clear.
If your rear view mirror looks through the top then the top will be swept by the wiper, otherwise the wiper is not doing it's job! This doesn't appear to be the case.

If you put your camera right at the top of the swept area then it is probably in the best location for capturing video and should not block your view of anything important, only issue is that it may not look so good if that puts the a camera in the middle of the screen. I believe it is almost always OK to put it a little above the swept area since the wide FOV lens will look through nearly the entire glass area unless your glass is nearly vertical. You may think that being very close to the glass means that it only looks through a small part of the glass but this is never true unless the glass is nearly vertical.

As has been pointed out that may seem to be the case but in real life is not true.

Here's a clip from the rear mounted SG9665GC in my vehicle ('14 Cadillac SRX) which is very similar to your SQ5. In pictures of the current model year SQ5 it looks like the rear wiper sweep area is also quite similar. My lens is right up against the glass and about 2.5 down from the top. As you can see the bottom mounted wiper is clearly visible in the video frame so even if the lens is outside of the swept area the entire swept area will be in frame.

As has been pointed out that may seem to be the case but in real life is not true.

Here's a clip from the rear mounted SG9665GC in my vehicle ('14 Cadillac SRX) which is very similar to your SQ5. In pictures of the current model year SQ5 it looks like the rear wiper sweep area is also quite similar. My lens is right up against the glass and about 2.5 down from the top. As you can see the bottom mounted wiper is clearly visible in the video frame so even if the lens is outside of the swept area the entire swept area will be in frame.

I note that your camera is looking mainly above the heater element while your mirror will be looking through the heater element. This can mean that it can take some time for the heater to clear the camera's view on a damp day, if you live somewhere where the heater is often required then a lower position for the camera may be preferable.

I note that your camera is looking mainly above the heater element while your mirror will be looking through the heater element.....
Heating elements run from the bottom to the top of the rear glass so not an issue. They're just totally out of focus and not visible in the video clip.

RearCam.jpg

Last edited:
Back