Rearview camera recommendation OR how to set a dash to the back window?

edale

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I'm a complete newbie at this whole camera business, but I was recently a victim of a hit-and-run and would like to be prepared from now on.

What confused me is I couldn't find a camera product for the back of the car (there's no cigarette lighter in the back of the car to power the camera!).

I would like the camera to be good enough to capture license plate numbers. I live in the U.S. in case anyone can provide info on where I can buy the equipment(s) I need.

If anyone can provide help in this department, it would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Welcome to DCT edale :) Street Guardian sold in the US by @Pier28 has some very good cameras, and one in particular that would work great. Also, Mobius is an outstanding small camera that works very well in the rear of the vehicle. There are many very good choices, and great information on this site for you. Good luck in your search!

Welcome to DCT edale :) Street Guardian sold in the US by @Pier28 has some very good cameras, and one in particular that would work great. Also, Mobius is an outstanding small camera that works very well in the rear of the vehicle. There are many very good choices, and great information on this site for you. Good luck in your search!

Hello, thank you for the welcome! I just googled Pier28 and am seeing the cameras, so thank you for the website! Any camera in particular you would recommend for the back window?

And if you or anyone else can point me the directions to how I can get it powered from the back, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

Hello. I'm a complete newbie at this whole camera business, but I was recently a victim of a hit-and-run and would like to be prepared from now on.

What confused me is I couldn't find a camera product for the back of the car (there's no cigarette lighter in the back of the car to power the camera!).

I would like the camera to be good enough to capture license plate numbers. I live in the U.S. in case anyone can provide info on where I can buy the equipment(s) I need.

If anyone can provide help in this department, it would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Welcome to DCT !

- What is your budget ?
- Do you need a dashcam only for rear or front as well?
- As I understood you are looking dashcam not only for driving recording, but also to be left in car while its parked for parking recording?

Welcome edale.

Sorry to hear about your hit and run :rolleyes:

Installing a dashcam or 2 will be a good idea, but due to limitations in current technology it is sadly not a perfect solution.

Current dashcams struggle with capturing a licenceplate at night, but even in daylight it can be hit and miss too, not least if it is one of those grey coludy days.
It allso depend a lot of the circumstances weather or not you will capture the licenceplate of the offender if he is the lowlife hit and run type.

I am not sure how insurence work over there, but here i would not be hurt on my wallet if some one did a hit and run on me, only if that happen 2 times every year would i see a incline in what i pay for insurance.
But even that is bareable for me as i have been driving for 30 years without making any dents myself, so i am considered a super elite driver and get off as cheap as possible.
A 18 year old kid with the same insurance and car as me would have to pay 3-4 times more for the same coverage, and the only reason as to why he get off that cheap is that i own and drive a little cheap Suzuki car, if i was driving a larger nice car costing 3-4 times more a 18 year old with same car and insurance would have to pay much more than 4 X what i pay as a elite driver.

Anyways ! back on topic.

Having a dashcam or 2 is still a good idea, and they will allways dokument you dont do anything wrong, and then you are at least half way there.

If you are not a cheapo then getting "in bed" with Jon at pier28 is not a bad idea, hes a considerate partner and will fulfill all your needs :D and he will not let you down in times of truble.

There are offcourse allso other N American retailers, but none of them are that active in here and seem to have the same level of service and customer care Pier28 have.

It is what it is, and seen from over here on the other side of the pond, Jon is the kind of guy i want to do business with.

What kind of car is it going in?

SGZC12RC is a great rear system, video cable is plenty long to run up to your front. (glove box, under seat, etc)
Mustang Example: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/151447/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Welcome to DCT !

- What is your budget ?
- Do you need a dashcam only for rear or front as well?
- As I understood you are looking dashcam not only for driving recording, but also to be left in car while its parked for parking recording?

Hello! I'd like to stay within $300 if possible for both rear and front if possible.

Dashcam capturing license plates/cars during driving is most important. Having it record during parking would be a nice perk if it's possible to stay within a reasonable price range, otherwise it is not necessary.

What kind of car is it going in?

I'm leaning towards the 2016 Hyundai Tucson.

Back