Received 0806 today. Which resolution is best?

Screenshots:
2560*1080p:
View attachment 11304

2304*1296p: More details on the tree and sharper than 1080p above but that could just be the timing.
View attachment 11305
2560*1080p is wider horizontally,value number 2764800pixels.
2304*1296p is widerveritically,value number 2985984piexels,sharper color
Depends on needs,but for normal driving use,I also might vote for 2560*1080p video resolution.

Anyone notice if the 1920x1080 45fps is any better at clearing up license plate motion blur vs the standard 30fps? Does anyone here think 45fps has any advantage in the real world? Same with the HDR. I noticed its not advertised as WDR so is the HDR setting really much different than the standard?

In the first post of this thread there is a GIF and also the original screenshots so you can better compare.

enjoy,
Mtz

Anyone notice if the 1920x1080 45fps is any better at clearing up license plate motion blur vs the standard 30fps? Does anyone here think 45fps has any advantage in the real world? Same with the HDR. I noticed its not advertised as WDR so is the HDR setting really much different than the standard?
When I tested it, the HDR was not as good at bright areas of the image as the other modes so if a license plate was in the headlight beam then it did not do so well. I believe all the other modes use WDR although the documentation doesn't say so. Both WDR and HDR combine multiple exposures to produce the final image, I came to the conclusion that the WDR was doing a better job of merging the exposures. HDR is different, it is done in the image sensor instead of in the processor, I guess it might give better battery life but I haven't tested it.

45fps is an advantage if you want to watch the video in slow motion and you have decent lighting conditions. For normal use, there are less bits per frame and so you loose a bit of quality in return for the faster update rate. 45fps / 60fps will not give less motion blur than 30fps in any camera as the exposure times will be the same, it is just the time gap between frames that is different, also in the dark when exposures longer than 1/60th or 1/45th second are needed to collect enough light the 60fps and 45fps modes will switch to taking 30fps and recording each frame as two identical frames to create the 60fps or duplicating every other frame to create the 45fps. On playback the result becomes identical to 30 fps in low light.

The best mode is 2560x1080 since that is the mode with the highest resolution, it is also the mode with the narrowest field of view so you have a bit of zoom in addition to the extra pixels, the two together will give you the most readable license plates, it is also the only mode with no scaling from sensor resolution thus gives a clean image with no scaling distortions.

In the first post of this thread there is a GIF and also the original screenshots so you can better compare.

enjoy,
Mtz

Oh nice, thanks for the link! :)

When I tested it, the HDR was not as good at bright areas of the image as the other modes so if a license plate was in the headlight beam then it did not do so well. I believe all the other modes use WDR although the documentation doesn't say so. Both WDR and HDR combine multiple exposures to produce the final image, I came to the conclusion that the WDR was doing a better job of merging the exposures. HDR is different, it is done in the image sensor instead of in the processor, I guess it might give better battery life but I haven't tested it.

45fps is an advantage if you want to watch the video in slow motion and you have decent lighting conditions. For normal use, there are less bits per frame and so you loose a bit of quality in return for the faster update rate. 45fps / 60fps will not give less motion blur than 30fps in any camera as the exposure times will be the same, it is just the time gap between frames that is different, also in the dark when exposures longer than 1/60th or 1/45th second are needed to collect enough light the 60fps and 45fps modes will switch to taking 30fps and recording each frame as two identical frames to create the 60fps or duplicating every other frame to create the 45fps. On playback the result becomes identical to 30 fps in low light.

The best mode is 2560x1080 since that is the mode with the highest resolution, it is also the mode with the narrowest field of view so you have a bit of zoom in addition to the extra pixels, the two together will give you the most readable license plates, it is also the only mode with no scaling from sensor resolution thus gives a clean image with no scaling distortions.

Thanks for the great explanation about how the differing fps' work and the info on HDR. Based on your info, I don't see any advantage of using the HDR 1080p setting.. I'll stick with your recommended 2560x1080. Here is a sample video I made tonight. I have some GPS issues you can see there based on my strange speed display, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the camera.

Thanks for the great explanation about how the differing fps' work and the info on HDR. Based on your info, I don't see any advantage of using the HDR 1080p setting.. I'll stick with your recommended 2560x1080. Here is a sample video I made tonight. I have some GPS issues you can see there based on my strange speed display, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the camera.
I've just bought that Blackmill album to have a listen based on that clip - reminds me of old 90s balearic trance!

Back