Recommended Camera

Twigmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I'm looking to buy a dash camera for my car, and want to get one for the front and back windscreens.
I've been looking at the Blackvue DR530 2CH as I don't particularly want GPS.
Has anyone got experience with this camera? Does anyone have any particular recommendations regarding dash cams on the whole. I'm happy to pay extra for a decent functioning camera.

Thanks

I'm currently running a Shadow GT680W up front and back, both from Amazon UK. It was £150 for the pair and the quality is very good.

The live feed is a gimmick - already tried one that did that and sent it back.

As for the insurance I just renewed last week and my broker don't currently offer a discount for any dash cam!

As for the Shadow's they both do 1080P to capture number plates better - does the Mi Witness?

I hope you're doing a good discount as there are better alternatives out there for a quarter of the price of the Mi Witness!

In 2012 maybe. A good device at the time but well out of date compared to what's available now.

It's showing as £259 for an old 720p camera with an extra £59 for the extra camera at the back which does 480p.

That would buy two Panorama's which would be a better use of the money.

Hi There,

I'm looking to buy a dash camera for my car, and want to get one for the front and back windscreens.
I've been looking at the Blackvue DR530 2CH as I don't particularly want GPS.
Has anyone got experience with this camera? Does anyone have any particular recommendations regarding dash cams on the whole. I'm happy to pay extra for a decent functioning camera.

Thanks
Not sure what features you are after. The Shadow GT680W is a good option as suggested by reverend.

If you are after something slightly more discreet then you could consider the Mobius Action Cam. Link to the main support thread on DCT is below:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...help-requests-here-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/

Don't let the size fool you, it has great video image quality for its size & price. It is also very flexible in that it can be used elsewhere should you get bored of using it in your car.

There are many dash cam's available. Check the comparison facility on DCT and/or Techmoan's website for unbiased reviews & to help find the ideal one for you. Good luck!;)

Last edited:
From your link:

MI-Witness HD - Technical Specifications
  • 1280 x 720 (16:9) HD Recordings (MAX 30fps)
  • Video Quality settings - 4,6,8 & 10, Mbps - Low, Normal, High, Super
  • Angle Of View (HD) Diagonal 120˚, Horizontal 90.2˚, Vertical 67.5˚
It's out of date unless this is £50 you can get better cameras out there for less money I'm afraid which Twigmen would be better off looking at. The hardware itself looks nice but it badly needs a refresh to complete with the market now - especially at the price on the website. Give it a 1080p or even 1296p upgrade to compete better.

Heck probably even two G1W's at less than £100 for the pair would suit @Twigmen better.

I've just seen even the wifi on the Mi-Witness is an optional £30 extra. Heck I bought a Transcend DrivePro 200 which had built in wifi and cost less than £80, won the recent Auto Express award this year, and it still went back as it wasn't up to spec. That's why these forums are good as you can see past all the advertising blurb.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The product you linked is an old model and going by the specs is the cheap knockoff version anyway, I'd avoid that one, GS9000 is also a dud, any of the others are ok though

Sounds great; how about models with a GPS, any recommendations there? I was looking at the GS1000 because of the overall features it has and at a $120 price point, however I was hoping for a better option.

I'm personally running a couple of the Shadow GT680Ws with GPS, they're not the best in the world but they're cheap and for the price I'm really happy. They're $125 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FQFHZAC
The Mi Witness looks nice but is old tech and massively expensive.

The G90 at Foxoffer is new, doesn't have GPS but looks a very good quality camera - I'm waiting for someone to buy it and put videos up!

I'm personally running a couple of the Shadow GT680Ws with GPS, they're not the best in the world but they're cheap and for the price I'm really happy. They're $125 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FQFHZAC
The Mi Witness looks nice but is old tech and massively expensive.

The G90 at Foxoffer is new, doesn't have GPS but looks a very good quality camera - I'm waiting for someone to buy it and put videos up!

Just curious, where do you put the external GPS unit? Do you think GPS is necessary? I'll check those out. Thanks.

I stole one of @niko 's ideas and the front one is stuck to the inside of the front sunvisor! The back one is just on the parcel shelf for now

From your link:

It's out of date unless this is £50 you can get better cameras out there for less money I'm afraid which Twigmen would be better off looking at. The hardware itself looks nice but it badly needs a refresh to complete with the market now - especially at the price on the website. Give it a 1080p or even 1296p upgrade to compete better.

Heck probably even two G1W's at less than £100 for the pair would suit @Twigmen better.

I've just seen even the wifi on the Mi-Witness is an optional £30 extra. Heck I bought a Transcend DrivePro 200 which had built in wifi and cost less than £80, won the recent Auto Express award this year, and it still went back as it wasn't up to spec. That's why these forums are good as you can see past all the advertising blurb.

I have Trnscend for over 1 month and must say that it surprized me with overall whole package ( price, quality, functions ). Maybe design is not up to my taste, but other than that I can say its The Best Wifi dashcam ( value for money ). Latest offer was in region of 85Euro incl shipping which makes 70Gbp, - bargain !

I have Trnscend for over 1 month and must say that it surprized me with overall whole package ( price, quality, functions ). Maybe design is not up to my taste, but other than that I can say its The Best Wifi dashcam ( value for money ). Latest offer was in region of 85Euro incl shipping which makes 70Gbp, - bargain !

I'll be surprised if you haven't already fabricated a custom, quickly detachable, mount for your new Transcend DrivePro 200. Possibly including neodymium magnets?

Last edited:
I'll be surprised if you haven't already fabricated a custom, quickly detachable, mount for your new Transcend DrivePro 200. Possibly including neodymium magnets?

Niko's DIY projects have been well know in the forum.

A simple idea,

Why not make these DIY mounts under Brand Niko to sell people in need? :)

Back