Recommended Fuse Amperage

Thanks for the feedback. We've confirmed with Viofo that their hardwire kits have overload protection, so it really shouldn't matter. The manufacturer of our fuse taps wrote that 20A is safe due to the voltage current. Regardless, we provided this customer a full refund for the fuse taps and we'll look into suppling lower rated fuse taps instead.

Thanks for the feedback. We've confirmed with Viofo that their hardwire kits have overload protection, so it really shouldn't matter. The manufacturer of our fuse taps wrote that 20A is safe due to the voltage current. Regardless, we provided this customer a full refund for the fuse taps and we'll look into suppling lower rated fuse taps instead.
Although the hardwire kit has overload protection, the cable between the fuse and the hardwire kit does not, so if that cable rubs against a piece of sharp metal, as is often found under dashboards, and the insulation wears through, and you get a short circuit, it is essential that the fuse is rated to match the current carrying ability of the cable. The cable used appears to be rated for 7.5A and so the fuse should be rated at 7.5A or less. 20A through a 7.5A cable can easily start a fire, and car interiors are not self-extinguishing, so a little burning plastic wire insulation is bad news.

Absolutely what @Nigel said. 7.5A fuse max, and 5A would be much better.

@BlackboxMyCar I don't know a company's explicit liabilities in Canada but here in the US you could (and likely would) be sued for all damages related to this if a problem happens, and you would be liable since it was you that distributed the unsafe condition when you should have known better. Talk with your company lawyer ASAP because I'm sure there's been at least a few of these already distributed and this could bankrupt you or cause your business license to be pulled unless you handle it properly :eek:

Just some friendly advice from one businessman to another. I'll take a small loss to be sure I don't suffer a bigger one ;)

Phil

Regardless, we provided this customer a full refund for the fuse taps and we'll look into suppling lower rated fuse taps instead.
don't go changing taps, you need a 20A fuse tap, it has to be rated to suit both fuses, all you do need is a lower rated fuse for the camera to use

Thanks, guys, the advice is well taken! We can confirm we're switching to 10A fuses.

:rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

If you go for 5A then we can all be happy!

They did refund my purchase...promptly, too. My thought is BBMC cares more about their customers than watching their profit margins. Mark handled this professionally, and promptly We'll deal with them again

Thanks, guys, the advice is well taken! We can confirm we're switching to 10A fuses.
Many thanks to Sawmaster, Jokinn and Nigel, Your information is much appreciated. I'm using 20 amp taps The acc is 10amp circuit and the hot is a 20 amp circuit.

PS: Our Son in Law is an electrical engineer for a company that designs chips for computer manufactures. You guys are right on, from him, the source of all knowledge electrical, that IS a compliment. You answered up before he did!

It's Jokiin, keyboard malfunction, probably one of those chips.

Back