Recommended memory card for VM1?

spacman

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hello, just got new WM1 dashcam but wondering is there any recommendations what memory card is best for camera? I have tried two different Kingston cards in camera but none of them won't work. Camera stops recording after few minutes. Other one is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07PGBYMVH And other one is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0858MY6RT
Little strange that canvas card has write speed of 90MB/s but it still fails to work? Should i just go and get Sandisk Extreme 128GB which is about 20€?

Also noticed that there seems to be a bug in camera firmware. When camera stops recording because(?) of memory card (REC led is flashing) and you connect app to camera after that, app is still saying that camera is recording?

Hello, just got new WM1 dashcam but wondering is there any recommendations what memory card is best for camera? I have tried two different Kingston cards in camera but none of them won't work. Camera stops recording after few minutes. Other one is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07PGBYMVH And other one is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0858MY6RT
Little strange that canvas card has write speed of 90MB/s but it still fails to work? Should i just go and get Sandisk Extreme 128GB which is about 20€?

Also noticed that there seems to be a bug in camera firmware. When camera stops recording because(?) of memory card (REC led is flashing) and you connect app to camera after that, app is still saying that camera is recording?

I personally was using the samsung blue and white card never had an issue but I instead bought the sandisk max endurance card (not the high endurance) as I just wanted to make sure things would get captured and it was recommended by viofo. Just make sure you are buying from an authorized seller and not some third party seller. There are a lot of fake cards on the market.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    206 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hello Spacman. I have two WM1s and use 64GB Sandisk Max Endurance cards in them without any issues. Using the recommended card - formatted inside of the camera - will solve your problems.

The red REC light will flash to indicate no recording only if there is no micro SD card in the slot, the micro-SD card is faulty, unformatted or not a recommended card, or if the firmware is being updated at that time. Your problems are highly unlikely to be firmware related. I can almost guarantee it's a simple memory card issue.

Hello, just got new WM1
During the Amazon US release of the WM1, Viofo was giving away free 64GB Viofo Brand SD Cards ($33) & CPL Filter ($17) with every purchase;
To get the free SD Card you had to open a support ticket, and provide your Amazon order number.
Why don’t you open a support ticket with this issue, and say;
“Please, please, please, pretty please send me a free 64GB SD Card”.
You don’t get what you don’t ask for. lol
-Chuck

The red REC light will flash to indicate no recording only if there is no micro SD card in the slot, the micro-SD card is faulty, unformatted or not a recommended card, or if the firmware is being updated at that time
The red REC indicator will also flash if there is no motion in the camera's field of view and motion recording is enabled.

Reset the DVR to factory settings.
And don't turn on motion recording.
Maybe it's not the memory card at all.

I will stake my reputation on the likelihood that it is indeed a memory card problem. KIngston is not a Viofo recommended brand. It's nothing to do with write speed, it's to do with the card host controller that determines the functionality of the card. At maximum settings my WM1 writes only 2.5mb of data per second to the card, so absolute write speed is irrelevant. It's about compatibility.

I think all of my kingston test cards work in a viofo system, maybe except the canvas go one, but i would go by what the brand recommend of course.

I have had 30 MB/s cards that did not work in a system, but a 40 MB/s card would ( naturally not the same model )
It is freaky if such a write speed overhead is needed, but i tend to think it is more a matter of the controller on the memory card that have a say.
Today most of my cards are around 80MB/s write speed.

I will stake my reputation on the likelihood that it is indeed a memory card problem. KIngston is not a Viofo recommended brand.
My memory cards are not in the Viofo list, but they work in all models without problems.

Last edited:
I test a lot of cards +12 of them, and by far most of them work just fine, but i have also found some duds of course.
Actually if i buy a 512 GB card soon, it might well be a kingston one.
BUT ! i am waiting to be sure, so a new or a couple of new cameras, and a quick test with the 256GB cards to find one that work, well i am investing in a 512GB one of that model too.
Having picked up quite a few 256GB cards lately that seem fine on specs, but just will not work in Viofo cameras, i feel a little due diligence are in order before next memory card purchase.

ATM i only have ( in car ) the A229 to test viofo, and it is actually slated to be taken out if new models arrive, but i can test in living room window then if no new system are a Viofo brand one.

Reset the DVR to factory settings.
And don't turn on motion recording.
Maybe it's not the memory card at all.

Thank you :) disabling motion detection was resolution. Now camera works just fine. Was testing camera in garage and camera seems to stop recording after few minutes if there is no movement.

Yes some / many cameras will transition to parking guard mode if there are no sensor ( G-sensor ) input, even if you have not turned off your car, or like you have done used a external power source like a USB charger for power.
Quite normal even if you have not hard wired for parking guard, as long as there is power, but no G-sensor action at all, the camera will take a break and go to parking guard.

One should always play around with ones new electronic gadget, to get a feel for what it can do, and what it will not do you you, but some times you get a little lost, so a reset to default settings might be a good idea.
Also not play with too many balls at one time, at least if you are me, i suck at multitasking, and i am so strong in single task, that you have to throw things at me or push me to make me snap out if it.

It is a valuable thing. :)
Hence why my signature is “The most luxurious possession, the richest treasure anybody has, is his personal dignity.”
I would say reputation and dignity are peas in a pod, at least in the positive sense.
You can have a bad reputation, and have no dignity, but if you have a good reputation you probably also have dignity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C WM1 2