Recording in an exFAT-formatted 64GB card

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
Following the exchange of ideas with @jokiin about this topic here, I decided to try it. Since I have both the AT11DA and the SG9665XS mounted in the car I'd always have a backup in case something went wrong. The card is a Transcend Premium 400x and the experience was done with the AT, which formats cards >32GB in exFAT.

I started on November the 5th and I was fortunate to have done several long drives, so I could also verify how the card behaved when loop recording. No problems there.
The card filled up on the 13th and then the camera started erasing the older files but kept the empty folders. I don't know if this is normal or not but it doesn't seem to be an issue to the camera. So far no missing or corrupt files and no weird behavior from the camera or the card.

Is this enough to conclude anything or should I continue with the experience until something starts to go wrong? :D;)

If I put a 64GB Samsung Evo card into my Cobra 840, the cam grumbles and says 'please insert sd card' as if it can't detect/read it. If I go into its menus and format the card the cam is then happy. The 64GB card gets formatted by the cam from exFAT to FAT32 and the cam seems to be able to run fine like that and is still running just fine after many overwrite cycles.

If I put the 64GB exFAT card into a Mio 538 the cam won't do anything - won't even format it. If I put the card into the Cobra 840 to format it from exFAT to FAT32, then put it into Mio 538, then get the Mio to format it, the card will again run fine and has done so for many overwrite cycles although the Mio 538 is currently not in use.

For a camera that I'd never consider buying, the AT11DA hasn't yet ceased to amaze me.
I've always assumed both my "cheapos" wouldn't work well with cards larger than 32GB. Not only they do but they also format larger cards in exFAT and work normally with that file system, at least the AT. In the G1W-H I only did a small recording with that card formatted in the camera, so I can't say for sure how it would work in the long run.

I'm bumping this thread up because all of a sudden this became an interesting topic.

Has anyone ever formatted ex-FAT cards in your dascams? If so, what file system did they formatted the cards to?
1. ex-FAT
2. FAT32

Last edited:
I've only owned a total of two dashcams but both behave quite differently. Used the same PNY 128GB card in both.

My current JooVuu X formats the card into exFAT, regardless of which format it was previously. Eg, If I've formatted it to FAT32 in a PC using guiformat the camera will still format it to exFAT and there is no option to change that. It works fine. The JooVuu X officially supports 128GB cards.

My deceased Blacksys CF-100... I know if I formatted it manually in the PC to FAT32 the camera would work fine. If reformatted it in the camera it would remain in FAT32. The very first time I put it into the camera (formatted exFAT) it behaved strangely but it did reformat it to FAT32. The CF-100 never officially supported anything above 32GB.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

What file system is the card currently using in the JooVuu X?

Last edited:
No problem. Currently it's running exFAT, no issues to report on the slightly older firmware I'm using but newer versions I have had issues with.

Back