Eivotor dashcam stops recording video after about 23 minutes

shinnen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I have an Eivotor dashcam (which I can find very little information on), which hangs (video wise) at 23 minutes. The audio however, seems to continues recording until it completes the 55 minute cycle (4.189 gigabytes). I have cut the video portion (23minutes) out of one of the mov files, using Avidemux, and it is about 1.2GB is size, despite the fact that Windows (7) records the files size as 4.189GB.
It will do this for several cycles, until the card (32 gigs) fills up.
Does anyone have any idea as to why the video recording hanges after 23 mintes. It does this on both the car plugin, and the two battery cells I've tried. The unit does have a very small capacity built in battery, which will record for a few seconds, so it must be plugged into a power source for anything longer.
Any help is appreciated .... john
P.S. It shows the same way on both Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic, so I don't think it's related to my video player.

Hi again,
I did some further analysis on one of the "4.187gb/1hr22 minute files"
When I cut it up into 'pre video freeze at 23.3 minutes' AND 'post freeze, almost 60 minutes' using Avidemux,
Windows reports the segments as 1,144gb/23.29 minute (pre freeze) AND 1.1mbs/0.0034 minutes (post freeze);
Simply opening the entire file with Avidemux, and saving it reports a files size of 1.145gb/24.0 minutes.
Clearly there's something odd going on here.
It seems like the actual file size is only 1.145gb/24 minutes long, and not the 4.187gb/1hr22 minutes that Windows reports..
I ran these videos in front of a clock, which timed the file time as 1hr 22 minutes, the same as Windows reports.
In conclusion it seems that:
Windows is reporting the correct time for the videos, but the wrong file size, probably because there's a huge dead space at the end each file, after the video stops recording.
I suppose, that by now, everyone is completely confused.
The obvious solution would be if I could instruct the dashcam to use a 23 minute recording cycle, but I don't see any option for doing this.
Any thoughts (other than the obvious, buy another dashcam) are appeciated.
Thank you for your patience.
..... john

I found a solution of sorts, setting loop recording to five minutes (there isn't any longer time option). This seems to work, since no recording gets to the dreaded 23.3 minute fail time. I also read that formating it in exFat might resolve freeze up issues; but the cam does not recognize my card when I do this.
Thanks to those who took the time to consider my problem.
..... john

Back