Reliable dashcam under $30 ???

my update Mobius b lens working great. got it in auto detect mode, in rear screen
to me its the best cam, for a 2nd cam.. colours are a bit.. bluey at night but.. for the price its a great cam

Here is a camera that for a few bucks more will be cheap, reliable and good quality

https://www.ebay.com/itm/180776698380
It's the predecessor of the Mobius and the latest version which will include loop recording. The only difference is it records in 720p. If you research it you will be impressed by its quality and the size is perfect for a rear window mount. That link is a seller who gets his cameras straight from the developer and has a great customer service history.

Make sure you buy V3, which this one is, the previous versions don't have loop recording.

@GJHS is this the correct mount holder for this camera?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111082381042
It states #26 in title and not #16? i know there were different sizes between certain models?

Considering this for wifes car, maybe with the wide angle lens?

Last edited:
There is nothing in common between #16 and #26 so no it won't fit.

There is nothing in common between #16 and #26 so no it won't fit.

Any idea where you buy cases? Cannot find anywhere?

Why not $35-40 usd Novatek 1080p dash cam for behind?
They sell a few at geekbuying. Quality won't be great but its for back window right?

Any idea where you buy cases? Cannot find anywhere?

I was under the impression that #16 & #26, though from different Developers, used the same case to house different internals.

With regard to using a #16 as a dashcam, I think that loop-recorded .mov clips have a 3 second gap between them. To eliminate the gap, you have to use firmware that loop-records .avi clips, which have a 1 second overlap. I'm not sure whether the GUI that is used for Mobius & #16 can be used with the .avi firmware.

@Isoprop or anyone with better knowledge of the keychain cams than me are welcome to correct the above.

Why not $35-40 usd Novatek 1080p dash cam for behind?
They sell a few at geekbuying. Quality won't be great but its for back window right?

Thank you Murat, have you actually used any of these $35-40 Novatek dashcams? If yes, which one and what is your opinion?

What I am really interested in is recommendations based on real-world usage and tested cameras (as stated in my original post).
Thanks though!

Bests,
Beavis

I was under the impression that #16 & #26, though from different Developers, used the same case to house different internals.

With regard to using a #16 as a dashcam, I think that loop-recorded .mov clips have a 3 second gap between them. To eliminate the gap, you have to use firmware that loop-records .avi clips, which have a 1 second overlap. I'm not sure whether the GUI that is used for Mobius & #16 can be used with the .avi firmware.

@Isoprop or anyone with better knowledge of the keychain cams than me are welcome to correct the above.

I emailed the seller of this listing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111082381042
He confirmed that the piece that slides into the mount is for the #11 / #16 camera

If you look on the listing pictures it does show it

I'm quite impressed with this little camera, especially lens D, I wouldn't bother with an A or B lens. See comparison here:

For £26/$44 it's very cheap - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180937263580

I haven't used $35-40 usd novatek 1080p car cam but I believe quality is lower than 50-55 usd G1W but still much better than 720P or 1080P (fake) AVI recorders.
Tronsmart GS8000L is 35 usd
Blackview K6000 is also about 35 usd
C500 novatek is about 38 usd

personally I wouldn't suggest anything less than a G1W, below that they're all rubbish

Fair enough, looks like i have to buy another Mobius then :D

personally I wouldn't suggest anything less than a G1W, below that they're all rubbish
I agree with you, but if goal is to have a secondary cheap camera under 40 usd, they are still better than AVI 720p (1080p fake) car cams.

I agree with you, but if goal is to have a secondary cheap camera under 40 usd, they are still better than AVI 720p (1080p fake) car cams.

those cheap Novatek are also interpolated, the 96650 is the only decent solution they have that is true 1080p

Any other suggestions?

Bests,
Beavis

I got a 30 bucks dashcam and use it as the rear window dashcam. Not really bad if you mostly drive in daytime. But if you always drive at night, it lacks night vision (even though it claims to have IR night vision).

I got a 30 bucks dashcam and use it as the rear window dashcam. Not really bad if you mostly drive in daytime. But if you always drive at night, it lacks night vision (even though it claims to have IR night vision).

Thanks for the video,
That would be perfect for me. I rarely drive at night.

What is the model of this camera? And where did you buy it?
Any reliability issues? Any gap between movie clips?

Thank you!

Bests,
Beavis

Back