Remove 0806 when leaving vehicle?

testpilot73

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do you leave your 0806 permanently mounted, or do you unplug and remove it from the mounting bracket when you leave your vehicle (for example when parking your vehicle outdoors overnight)? Wondering if anyone is worried about theft.

Thanks

in a hot climate it should probably be removed when parked outside in full sun, batteries don't like that too much, if you go removing it all the time you'll find out it will end up getting loose in the mount bracket and may affect the reliability of the connection

Thanks jokiin. Is theft ever a concern for you or anyone else reading this? Or is the mini0806 so inconspicuous that its not a concern?

I never take cameras out, if it's installed correctly and the cables are tucked away it's very hard to notice, thieves are generally looking through the glovebox, console etc, not so much behind the mirror I would think

I've been leaving mine installed, but I might rethink that. The 0806 is very inconspicuous if the cables are tidy, but I suppose thieves actively look for things. I might start leaving it in the glove compartment area - even though it has no door! At least the camera won't be on show to tempt them.

I don’t think the 08XX mount was ever designed to be un coupled on a regular bases,

if the 08XX range of DVR’s had a similar coupling device as the DR500GW, then the 08XX would then truly be a removable DVR, I sometimes have to wonder who some of these people who design these DVR’s are (and not just DVR’s), do they actually use what they design in the real world

I’m sure there are some people who do take off/out their mini 08XX DVR’s. Myself I don’t think it’s a good idea to be doing this regularly, maybe take it off its screen mount on the odd occasion but any more, its just too flimsy and before long might snaps off completely, I’ve said it before, I think the biggest weakness of the 08XX range of DVR’s is it’s mount

as the 08XX range of DVR’s have very similar form factor to the DR500GW (and others from the Blackvue range) this could of been done without much if any alteration of the overall design of the 08XX, I can only think it’s a cost cutting exercise not improving the mount

I sometimes have to wonder who some of these people who design these DVR’s are (and not just DVR’s), do they actually use what they design in the real world

quite a lot of people involved in the design and manufacture of DVR's do not own or even drive a car

R&D departments rarely do much real-world testing because it exposes employees to a less controlled situation for insurance purposes which raises a company's insurance costs. And we know companies are run by accountants so they're going to keep costs as low as they can.

One of the best removable mounts for any cam is using neodymium magnets- in this case between mount and windshield would work better. Pops on and off easily and maintains alignment automatically, and the cam never leaves the mount so it stays tight. Don't go too big with these as they are very powerful when stuck together so you don't need huge ones.

Phil

Back