Remove ferrite choke on Viofo HWK?

Skylar132

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 PRO 2CH
I have my viofo a129 pro wired up for parking mode and my only gripe about it is the ferrite choke that wont go into the headliner and has excess cable dangling, is there a way i can remove this without damaging the cable? note: I am not experienced in splicing wires and is out of my comfort zone. Any ideas?

The choke is necessary to reduce levels of electrical interference rgw HWK generates to a point which will (hopefully) not affect other car electronics. It's not wise to remove it.

Phil

The choke is necessary to reduce levels of electrical interference rgw HWK generates to a point which will (hopefully) not affect other car electronics. It's not wise to remove it.

Phil
Oh okay thanks phil, i just assumed it was because of the DAB radio

What is weird is I don't think the cigarette lighter plug for my a139 has a choke, but the HWK-C does.

Best to clip the cable just before the choke and clip it to the top of the screen where it meets the headliner so the weight of the choke doesn't pull the cable out

That's part of it- DAB seems to be very susceptible to EMI from HWK's and cams. But it can also interfere with Sat-nav;s and other car systems such as ADAS.

Not sure if that choke snaps or or is molded onto the cable but you can always try things without it. I'm pretty sure you'll end up putting it right back though :(

Phil

I had my 322gw hardwired without a ferrite core and it had no issues, although im not confident splicing wiring so i guess ill deal with it

What is weird is I don't think the cigarette lighter plug for my a139 has a choke, but the HWK-C does.

Best to clip the cable just before the choke and clip it to the top of the screen where it meets the headliner so the weight of the choke doesn't pull the cable out
The problem is probably the quality of the previous HWKs which were terrible for A129Pro. But the updated version seems quite good and probably would "work" (means without interference) even without the choke but since they designed HWK with it, somebody probably still demands it to be there. :)

I don't know if this would work well enough to be suitable or not but it might be possible to remove the existing ferrite choke so the cable can be threaded into the headliner and then install an aftermarket snap-on ferrite choke farther down on the cable.

snap-on.jpg

snao-on2.jpg

That might work, but choke placement also affects it's effectiveness which is why the choke is in such a poor location now. FCC and CE regulations require these devices be lab tested and meet certain limits and it costs something to add the choke so it wouldn't be there if it didn't have to be there. A choke elsewhere might or might not be sufficient to address user-problems but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't meet the lab srtandards required for public sale.

That doesn't mean that every car needs it, but clearly some will.

Phil

I've used more than one choke on a cable with good effect. I guess the only way to know if a snap-on choke would work would be to try it. Of course, then you've already cut the existing choke off your cable, so if it doesn't work you're fuqqed. :dead:

If you put the snap-on choke where the original was it will probably be effective enough. I still vote for leaving the original intact because it ain't broke ;)

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Hardwiring and Batteries 3
Back