Removing Audio from a Video but Keeping GPS

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A139, VIOFO A139 Pro, VIOFO A119 Mini 2, VIOFO A229...
Has anyone had success removing the audio from a dashcam video, but keeping the GPS data?

I tried FFMPEG with the -an (audio none) option but it removed the GPS data.

I was able to do it to a degree using Dash Cam Viewer with videos from an SGCGX2Pro camera.

The reason I said 'to a degree' is in order to make it work I had to use the 'merge' videos function and turn off the audio option. The resultant MOV file had the GPS data (at least DCV was able to map the travel route) and no audio. Unfortunately, DCV doesn't allow you to merge just a single video file (which is totally understandable) so you would have to play around a bit with multiple files. The GPS data was exported as a 'sidecar' GPX file, without which no mapping was shown when playing the video..

Using the DCV "Export Clip to Video' Function with just a single file did not appear to preserve the GPS data, this based on the fact that playing the exported file showed no mapping.

Maybe @traveler can look into this as it appears that the capability is there but not implemented consistently across functions.

Edit: Note that I did not do any testing beyond the 2 attempts mentioned above.

Last edited:
Has anyone had success removing the audio from a dashcam video, but keeping the GPS data?

I use a software named Handbrake to remove the 'audio' from the recordings retaining the rest of the setup and data as is.

Download the software and upload the video from the dashcam that you are looking to remove the 'audio recording'.

Handbrake 1.jpg

Once you upload, click on the 'Audio' tab as highlighted in the image below and simply click on the 'x' icon (highlighted on the right side).
Handbrake 2.jpg

Save the file as is and you are done. No other changes happen, only the 'audio' part is removed.

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of removing the audio afterward instead of muting the microphone in settings?

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of removing the audio afterward instead of muting the microphone in settings?
It's kind of like 4WD - if you have it and don't need it no problem, if you need it and don't have it that's a problem.

Same with the audio. If you don't record it there's no way to get it. Whereas if you have it and don't want it for some reason you can delete it.

It's kind of like 4WD - if you have it and don't need it no problem, if you need it and don't have it that's a problem.

Same with the audio. If you don't record it there's no way to get it. Whereas if you have it and don't want it for some reason you can delete it.
Fair enough. What's the some reason you don't want it? :unsure:

...What's the some reason you don't want it? :unsure:
You capture an interesting event you want to put online but you were having a private/personal conversation at the time that you don't want to post.

You capture an interesting event you want to put online but you were having a private/personal conversation at the time that you don't want to post.
That makes sense. Thanks

Many, if not most dash cams have a mute button for the microphone. If you simply turn off the mic your camera will record all the GPS data as it normally would but with no sound. ( I believe all Viofo cams have a mute button.)

Another possibility is one I stumbled upon quite by accident - use more than one camera.

I have multiple cams in my vehicle - front - rear - sides and telephoto. One time, I went to review some footage and realized that I had been driving around for days with the microphone on my front facing camera turned off and didn't know it. I must have hit the mute button without realizing it. There was a section of footage from the front camera where I really wanted the audio but, of course, it was missing. Suddenly, it dawned on me that all my other cams had captured the audio.

In theory, If I wanted to, I could dub the audio from one of the other cameras back into the front camera footage with an editor if I really needed to.

Last edited:
I have had several share on youtube getting flagged for copyright issues only due to the music on the radio playing, so now i mostly mute the sound in post production.
Dont need that much in the winter time as during those months i do not use my radio much.

A bit Amazed i have not heard from my last Vantrue upload as it to carry the music.
But it could also be a setting for the youtube channel i think, when i got copyright warnings it was on my old YT channel i deleted last year.

Most video editing softwares let you do interesting multi camera edits, and most can also Sync up these different recordings automatic, and also i think most can also do a color mixing to even things out if the footage from the different cameras are not the same looking.
Something like that will also let you use the sound of one of the cameras act as the main sound track, and then you just switch in between the different cameras for visual effect.

BUT ! that is the more advanced stuff that i dont really use, the above video are just changing back and forth between the 2 interior cameras on the N5 system, and as i recall i kept the sound from each camera so the sound track also change back and forth between the 2 cameras.

Nice video!
I have had several share on youtube getting flagged for copyright issues only due to the music on the radio playing, so now i mostly mute the sound in post production.
I hadn't thought about that. :unsure:
Dont need that much in the winter time as during those months i do not use my radio much.
My radio is almost always on. Probably too much considering there's probably less worth listening to than when I was younger. :cool:

Well when i say radio i mean i play MP3 files from a SD card, i have not listened to actual radio ( FM / DAB / whatever ) since the late 90ties.
Also now as i have a flat rate car wash subscription, well my car get washed at least ever 2 days, and i cant really be bothered with taking off and putting on the roof antenna, so it have been in my door pocket for 3-4 years now.

Also threw out my TV a few years ago, really its a waste of power at best, Flow TV or any of the streaming services i can not find much content there worth paying the price they ask.

Back