Replacement 3M adhesive sticker pads

lohr500

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Has anyone found a supplier for the 3M adhesive sticker pads used to attach the B1W mounting to the windscreen?
There are some suppliers on eBay but they also include the fixed plastic mounting from the dashcam which I don't need.
I could do with 4 or 6 of the adhesive pads as I have changed cars and also one has become detached due to hot weather.
Thanks

A simple, convenient and economical solution is to purchase your own 3M VHB tape. It is easy to fit to the camera mount and trim it to size.

The best option I've found is the (recently introduced ) two inch wide roll of VHB tape from 3M but even narrower pieces can be applied to a camera mount and trimmed to size as long as they cover the whole base.

Amazon is a good source for 3M VHB tape. (Sometimes sold under the Scotch brand name rather than 3M.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=3M+VHB+tape+

3M VHB.jpg

So many choices on Amazon. Is 5952 still the product code to look for?

Yes, except that 3M makes things difficult by not putting that product code on these consumer level packages. They also have so many very similar products now it is hard to know exactly what you are buying. When you hear people recommending "type 5952" or "type 4941" it can be confusing and misleading because each family of tapes is far more extensive than you might think with many sub number variants within each 5952 and 4941 family. See this 3M Tape Design Guide to see what I'm talking about. Basically, I've now learned that if you buy "5952" you could be getting any of a wide range of variants with somewhat different properties, all of which have different product numbers but which fall into the 5952 product family. (see page #13 of the Design Guide)

One thing I can say is that the 2 inch wide version pictured above (whatever product # it may be) has the best adhesive qualities I have ever seen in a 3M VHB product. For example, after struggling with poor adhesion to the plastic mount on my SG9665GC which has been a chronically reported problem for quite some time (3M Tape came off from the plastic side) even after being generously supplied with replacements from Street Guardian USA and trying various DIY methods such as flame sealing the plastic, it was this two inch wide tape I found at Home Depot that finally cured the problem once and for all. (Other reports have surfaced about similar issues from other dash cam manufacturers where their 3M VHB tape is not adhering properly to certain plastics but works well on glass.)

Great info Dashmellow. Thanks for sharing. Looks like this is the way forward and cut to size as needed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E B1W 5
L B1W 14
TonyM B1W 5
Xybone B1W 7
Back