Replacement Battery Test?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
All of the recent activity on failed batteries has me thinking about purchasing an extra battery, just to keep on hand. If I should need to replace my 0806 battery, is there anyway to test the replacement battery prior to attempting a battery removal and install?

I mean it would really suck if I went through the whole process of replacing the battery only to find out that the replacement battery was bad.

Measure the voltage after charging.*
Measure it a day later to see if it's discharging itself badly.
Could measure voltage under load but results may be hard to interpret.
The only real test is to see how it performs.

*Hmm. How will you charge it though?

Just order a four-pack. One is destined to be ok ;)

*Hmm. How will you charge it though?

Exactly.

Just order a four-pack. One is destined to be ok ;)

Yeah, I could that, but it would be nice to know which ones are good. Are you sure there's no way to rig up a tiny connector so replacement is a little easier?

If the current battery is known bad, snip off the wires near the battery end. Just twist them together with the wires of the new battery and cover with some electrical tape. You should be able to do some testing before reassembling the case. At the very least you can charge the new battery.

If the current battery is known bad, snip off the wires near the battery end. Just twist them together with the wires of the new battery and cover with some electrical tape. You should be able to do some testing before reassembling the case. At the very least you can charge the new battery.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Just keep in mind that the LiPO chemistry doesn't like to be stored fully charged. 50% is ideal, and will offer the longest life.

Back