Restarting constantly

PeteZ28

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 6 month old DR-650 2ch has been giving me fits the last few weeks. It started with the camera giving me SD card errors. I replaced the card with a new Sandisk 64 gig unit and formatted it using the newest version of the desktop app and updated the camera to the latest firmware. The camera records fine now but I frequently hear the camera saying "Restarting", then a minute or so later, "Starting normal recording". Sometimes this is every 10 or so minutes. NONE of this was happening before the SD card errors.

I'm thinking this may be temperature related as it seems to happen more on hotter days, but I could be imagining that. I know these units run a little hot but wow does this thing get pretty smoking to the touch, even on mild days, in the shade where in-car temps are only in the 70's F.

If anyone could offer help with this I would appreciate it. I'm really loosing my patience with the unit.

The Blackvue dealers recommend only the original Blackvue SD cards. Perhaps that's your problem with the excessive heat. Here in the UK I've been using a Delkin 64gb without any problems, but also without the heat that you have to work with.

Thanks for the reply JohnM. Hmm, interesting, I've heard these can be picky with which SD cards are used. Kind of loathe to buy another Blackvue card after the first one croaked on me, but perhaps I'll give it a shot.

Funny you should post this question now, as I have been experiencing the same problem for the past couple of weeks, and yesterday I finally figured out it was the microSD card. I thought it was loose wires or something, but everything I tried had no effect and the dash cam would continue to intermittently and randomly announce that it was "starting normal recording."

When I bought the dash cam it came with a 16 GB BlackVue card, and the dealer also included a 32 GB microSD card made by ADATA. Even though they describe the ADATA card as "factory class" and say that they use them in their own dash cams, my DR-650 2CH did not like it at all. As soon as I put the 16GB BlackVue SD card back into the cam, the problem went away.

I just bought a 64 GB SanDisk High Endurance card, as it is the only other card that BlackVue's Australian distributor recommends. Right on the package it says it's designed for demanding installations like dash cams and security cams. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but when I do I will return to this thread and add a note about my experience.

Funny you should post this question now, as I have been experiencing the same problem for the past couple of weeks, and yesterday I finally figured out it was the microSD card. I thought it was loose wires or something, but everything I tried had no effect and the dash cam would continue to intermittently and randomly announce that it was "starting normal recording."

When I bought the dash cam it came with a 16 GB BlackVue card, and the dealer also included a 32 GB microSD card made by ADATA. Even though they describe the ADATA card as "factory class" and say that they use them in their own dash cams, my DR-650 2CH did not like it at all. As soon as I put the 16GB BlackVue SD card back into the cam, the problem went away.

I just bought a 64 GB SanDisk High Endurance card, as it is the only other card that BlackVue's Australian distributor recommends. Right on the package it says it's designed for demanding installations like dash cams and security cams. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but when I do I will return to this thread and add a note about my experience.

Yes, we see far too often customers have problems and straight away think it is the camera. A lot of the times it is the sd card, especially a brand like ADATA would not be compatible.

Sandisk Endurance may be the only highly compatible card, other than a BlackVue card. But we always recommend the BlackVue cards over any brand - it is not a biased opinion; its from testing hundreds and hundreds of cards.

Yes, we see far too often customers have problems and straight away think it is the camera. A lot of the times it is the sd card

don't feel special, we get it too, worst offenders are those that buy cards online and aren't aware not all cards are genuine

But we always recommend the BlackVue cards over any brand - it is not a biased opinion;
Does Blackvue (Pittasoft) make its own SD card? I am guessing it is re-branded from some other company......... in which case it is a merchandising opinion. Level with the troops and tell us the brand and specs..........

the cards are made by another manufacturer, it's quite likely the resellers don't have any insight into who supplies the cards to Blackvue, even so that's not to say that the specification is the same as that same manufacturers other cards anyway, when you get your own branded cards it's not just about taking a card and getting your name printed on it, you can spec which controller, memory type is used etc so that you are working with set parameters when doing firmware, not all cards are created equally and it does help from an engineering standpoint to have consistent quality, consistent specification memory

Does Blackvue (Pittasoft) make its own SD card? I am guessing it is re-branded from some other company......... in which case it is a merchandising opinion. Level with the troops and tell us the brand and specs..........

Even if we did inform you of the company Pittasoft uses, they are an OEM supplier and do not sell their cards individually or in small quantities. Jokiin's answer is spot on.

I am using the included 64GB card and I have the same restoring problem. I got pulled over today and wanted the video of the claimed offense. Turns ou the time I needed is exactly when the camera rebooted and I lost 3 minutes. Any suggestions on how to stop this ?

I am using the included 64GB card and I have the same restoring problem. I got pulled over today and wanted the video of the claimed offense. Turns ou the time I needed is exactly when the camera rebooted and I lost 3 minutes. Any suggestions on how to stop this ?

Hello,

Are you using a Pittasoft 64GB card? Please check. If you are: please make sure you write to the manufacturer directly (sales@pittasoft.com) and you make sure your supplier writes to the manufacturer as well.

Please be aware Pittasoft do not monitor this forum, so posting here will not be seen by them.

As this is just our advice, do not include us in any of your correspondence please.

Thank you

Reply from Blackvue, they seriously told me to format the card twice a week. What a joke. I have asked the reseller BlackBox MyCar to replace the card but may just do it myself as I am sure this request will take a while to be fulfilled.

Noman (BlackVue)

Jun 24, 15:37 KST

Hello Mr Marc
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
There can be several reasons for the continuous restarting but the most prominent one is that the file writing speed of the SD card got slow. We would like you to format the SD card after backing up the files and see if it resolves the issue.
Also to avoid further restarting issues we recommend you to format the SD card atleast once or twice a week.

Please let us know if the problem persists.

Thank you
Sincerely

Noman
BlackVue Customer Support Team

Reply from Blackvue, they seriously told me to format the card twice a week. What a joke. I have asked the reseller BlackBox MyCar to replace the card but may just do it myself as I am sure this request will take a while to be fulfilled.

Noman (BlackVue)

Jun 24, 15:37 KST

Hello Mr Marc
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
There can be several reasons for the continuous restarting but the most prominent one is that the file writing speed of the SD card got slow. We would like you to format the SD card after backing up the files and see if it resolves the issue.
Also to avoid further restarting issues we recommend you to format the SD card atleast once or twice a week.

Please let us know if the problem persists.

Thank you
Sincerely

Noman
BlackVue Customer Support Team

What a joke. Love the size of the unit but talk about a piece of ****.

So it gets better. I bought this on Amazon from BlackBox MyCar.com. They supplied it with an ADATA 64GB card, not an OEM or anything that is compatible. I will try to get them to supply a proper card to me otherwise I will have to buy one myself and take it pop with the credit card company to recover the cost. The Sandisk Endurance card is $30. Not cheap

So it gets better. I bought this on Amazon from BlackBox MyCar.com. They supplied it with an ADATA 64GB card, not an OEM or anything that is compatible. I will try to get them to supply a proper card to me otherwise I will have to buy one myself and take it pop with the credit card company to recover the cost. The Sandisk Endurance card is $30. Not cheap

All of a sudden the generic reply from Pittasoft is looking like less of a joke, you were not using a genuine BlackVue card. And YES it does make a difference to use the proper cards. :)

But if the problem persists, then further action needs to be taken.

Pittasoft have a standard reply template to deal with initial enquires, and then it may be escalated further if the problem is not fixed. Bit like how an FAQ system works. We can direct you to their CS manager if need be.

I switched to a 64 GB SanDisk High Endurance card from the ADATA that came with it and it appears to be running problem free. Will update after a long drive this coming Sunday

I switched to a 64 GB SanDisk High Endurance card from the ADATA that came with it and it appears to be running problem free. Will update after a long drive this coming Sunday

Good to hear! I haven't yet tried the 64GB High Endurance card that I bought, as I went back to BlackboxMyCar (their office is only 10 km from where I live) and exchanged my 32 GB Adata card for a 32 GB BlackVue card (CAD $15 premium), which has been problem-free since the switch. I'm going to give it another week or so to make sure all is good with the BlackVue card, and then I'll give the 64 GB SanDisk card a try, and will report back here.

Is the 64gb endurance card still working for you? I have the blackvue dr650s 2 channel and the wifi and cloud playback is unusable. I've been told it's probably the card, but I was hoping for some real world testing before I start buying cards left and right. THanks!

Is the 64gb endurance card still working for you?

I switched over to the 64GB SanDisk High Endurance card about six weeks ago, and so far so good with no restarting problems. FWIW, I formatted the card on my Mac, not in the camera. I used Disk Utility and formatted it as FAT32 (not ExFAT) with the Master Boot Record option.

I switched over to the 64GB SanDisk High Endurance card about six weeks ago, and so far so good with no restarting problems. FWIW, I formatted the card on my Mac, not in the camera. I used Disk Utility and formatted it as FAT32 (not ExFAT) with the Master Boot Record option.
Good to know. I will be sure to reformat on my PC (not a mac guy). Have you had any issues with playback using the wifi direct or over the cloud? Specifically, does it take forever to buffer the video during playback?

Back