Review and Unboxing: Dome GS98C 1296p Ambarella A7LA70 GPS Dashcam from Gearbest.com

I have this model with the separate GPS module. I mounted the GPS on my windshield. The GPS icon is not red, but always white and I never get GPS information on my video. Is that normal? What does white mean? Thanks.
Not sure.
Maybe it doesn't even detect the gps module.

Not sure.
Maybe it doesn't even detect the gps module.

Thanks. It's initially red and then it turns white after a few seconds, but it's never green.

My new GS98c just arrived. Build is better than my G90, suction cup mount is firm and GPS is working.. it even has an EV setting which I can utilize to compensate for my tinted windshield specially during night driving.. I would presumed the video quality is the same with G90.

No one noticed, GS98 - in contrary to G90 - is not powered through a holder.
Are there any pros of such solution? Why manufacturer changed it? To remove camera from windshield we have to disconnect mini-usb as well as GPS. IMO hot-plug-holder is more handy, isn't it?
I would even even route GPS connection through the holder.

Last edited:
Problematic for who? customer or manufacturer? Are there some known issues with connection quality or so? I didn't found any in reviews.
IMO disconnecting two cables cannot be considered proper solution. I know (dis)connecting the recorder is not ordinary daily operation. But still... even aesthetics suffers.

At the end, I would buy GS98C but chosen connection method makes me stepped back. I have to reconsider G90 vs A119C

Last edited:
Problematic for who? customer or manufacturer? Are there some known issues with connection quality or so? I didn't found any in reviews.
IMO disconnecting two cables cannot be considered proper solution. I know (dis)connecting the recorder is not ordinary daily operation. But still... even aesthetics suffers.

At the end, I would buy GS98C but chosen connection method makes me stepped back. I have to reconsider G90 vs A119C
If you like the connection style, why not just get the G90C since the lens and chipset is the same as the GS98C. You'll still need to disconnect the GPS module from the camera body though.

Likely I will get G90C. Will see. It has some imperfections too. I'm looking for perfect solution. Yeah.. I know there is none ;)
Reviews of GS98C mention a bit better image quality and significant sound improvement.

Have not heard there is any image or sound difference. The GS98C will also get much hotter to the touch due to the metal front casing. Might not matter where you live though.

Yeah, I do remember that. I think it was the G90, but I don't think that's an issue anymore. I haven't noticed any issue in the G90A test sample I have.

Yeah, I do remember that. I think it was the G90, but I don't think that's an issue anymore. I haven't noticed any issue in the G90A test sample I have.
Yes, initial version of G90 had really bad audio with crackling and bass heavy distortions and GS98C had much better audio in comparison.
I haven't tested later versions of G90.

I have this model with the separate GPS module. I mounted the GPS on my windshield. The GPS icon is not red, but always white and I never get GPS information on my video. Is that normal? What does white mean? Thanks.

White antena signal means no gps connected.. Try to pull out and re-insert the gps plug on the cam unit then wait a few seconds and see if it works.

Yes, initial version of G90 had really bad audio with crackling and bass heavy distortions and GS98C had much better audio in comparison.
I haven't tested later versions of G90.

Agree, I just had my new GS98C and the audio is much better than my G90.. it even has an EV adjustment setting but i have'nt tried it yet on night video.

Agree, I just had my new GS98C and the audio is much better than my G90.. it even has an EV adjustment setting but i have'nt tried it yet on night video.
Which G90 do you have? The G90c has EV adjustment.

Mine was G90-7S90C with gps with out EV adjustment purchased early last year February 2015
I'm not familiar with that model number. I don't think that's a Dome model number. I assume that's just a G90C? I will double check the firmware I have to make sure EV adjustment is there.

@Rene Sorreda
The latest version I have for the GS90C (G90C with GPS) is 2637. I does have EV adjustment. Also has speed in mph or km/h. It's on my website under the downloads section if you want to try it. This is for the A7la70 chipset, so make sure that's what you have. I do have a version for the G90A as well for download. G90A is the A7la50 chipset.

Back