Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

o94ZO7.jpg

@GearBest

Can anyone offer a review on the units heat dissipation? I live in south Texas, and I am particularly curious if it will be toasted in summer...

Can anyone offer a review on the units heat dissipation? I live in south Texas, and I am particularly curious if it will be toasted in summer...
This unit doesn't get too hot but Texas is too hot so you may want something with capacitor or just try it out.
If put behind sun shade, should be okay.

Can you make a video and explain how is work the parking mode please?Thanks

Can you make a video and explain how is work the parking mode please?Thanks
Parking mode needs hard wiring and I don't have it setup that way yet.

Hey guys. My name's Chris and im from Poland in Europe. My D201 just came from Gearbest. Bought it at Black Friday for 90 bucks. I have some things to share with You about bugs in firmware that i noticed since last tuesday. My firmware is ZX-A12a55-G-1997W and unfortunately i think it's the latest available :(

This is very much in comparison with G1WH thas I use like 10 hours a day from 2014.
- Secure SOS file option sucks ass. On screen display does not show the time until the end of the current recording file, but only time from ignition start, so after 47
minutes after I started engine I have 47minut recording time on display, and it gives me nothing, and I dont know who will need such info. G1WH displays recording time of the currently
file (in my case 5min) and when I pressed the SOS button it saves the file you are currently recording. The D201, when I click on the SOS, protects only one minute of video and
protected video looks more or less like 8 seconds of video before you press the SOS button and like 52 seconds after pressing. ITS RETARDED! I see an event on road and I press
SOS to secure this event and in protected file I have what happends after I click /!\ button,. This option would make sense if it was protecting at least two minutes back plus one minute forward.
- There is no manual protection / deprotection files from the menu - lame
- When viewing movies on the device I dont know which file is protected and which not. No info in tumbnails menu either.
- Limited playback options from the device. It is just fast forward of x2 and x4, does not even play / pause. G1WH had a rewind of x2, x4, x8 and fast forward x2, x4, x8 and had a play / pause.
- Menu works very slowly, especially when moving through thumbnails of videos. OMG, I have to wait a second each time I click on the arrow to jump from one file to another. G1WH is like 10 times faster
- Limited date display options. We only have YY / MM / DD. In G1WH it was also MM / DD / YY and DD / MM / YY - not much but someone could maybe use it...
- There is no EV or white balance correction, though funny is that in the manual at the end of the FAQ someone mentioned about such correction and white balance correction!
- You cannot remove current speed from display , even if the GPS is detached
- With a resolution of 1920 font of date gets smaller than in 2560

Hey guys. My name's Chris and im from Poland in Europe. My D201 just came from Gearbest. Bought it at Black Friday for 90 bucks. I have some things to share with You about bugs in firmware that i noticed since last tuesday. My firmware is ZX-A12a55-G-1997W and unfortunately i think it's the latest available :(

This is very much in comparison with G1WH thas I use like 10 hours a day from 2014.
- Secure SOS file option sucks ass. On screen display does not show the time until the end of the current recording file, but only time from ignition start, so after 47
minutes after I started engine I have 47minut recording time on display, and it gives me nothing, and I dont know who will need such info. G1WH displays recording time of the currently
file (in my case 5min) and when I pressed the SOS button it saves the file you are currently recording. The D201, when I click on the SOS, protects only one minute of video and
protected video looks more or less like 8 seconds of video before you press the SOS button and like 52 seconds after pressing. ITS RETARDED! I see an event on road and I press
SOS to secure this event and in protected file I have what happends after I click /!\ button,. This option would make sense if it was protecting at least two minutes back plus one minute forward.
- When viewing movies on the device I dont know which file is protected and which not. No info in tumbnails menu either.
- Limited playback options from the device. It is just fast forward of x2 and x4, does not even play / pause. G1WH had a rewind of x2, x4, x8 and fast forward x2, x4, x8 and had a play / pause.
- Menu works very slowly, especially when moving through thumbnails of videos. OMG, I have to wait a second each time I click on the arrow to jump from one file to another. G1WH is like 10 times faster
- Limited date display options. We only have YY / MM / DD. In G1WH it was also MM / DD / YY and DD / MM / YY - not much but someone could maybe use it...
- There is no EV or white balance correction, though funny is that in the manual at the end of the FAQ someone mentioned about such correction and white balance correction!

Hello, Makabra

Thank you for advice!
I already feedback all of them to our engineers, they will make some changes.
You will see the changes in future version DAB201.

Best Regards
Fandy

You will see the changes in future version DAB201.
Hey Fandy Will there be any Firmware updates for this D201 or do you mean a future product?
Thanks

I mean on DAB201, but in future lot production.
Should there is software available and compatible to previous lot DAB201, our software engineer Mr Zhong will share it out, Email: 2665482862@qq.com

Hey Fandy, thanks for the reply. So correct me if I'm wrong, the only way to get new firmware is to ask You od Mr Zhong? I was looking at the Dome webside, and found only some links to google drive in FAQ. It's weird but dont see any official firmware distribution channel.

Now im trying to add CPL filter to my dvr as I did with G1WH. Im after attaching ring that will make it possible. It is a 49mm>52mm reduction ring. Now I'm waiting for 52mm CPL filter, should come in few days.

img_20160103_112157_resize.jpg

img_20160103_112202_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Does anybody know if you can change the speed units from KPH to MPH? Thanks!

Wow this sucks. Thanks for the info. I was going to get this camera but seems like it is useless. 8secs of recording for the event is too low. So for now G1WH is king? Also half the price... too bad is lower res though.

Wow this sucks. Thanks for the info. I was going to get this camera but seems like it is useless. 8secs of recording for the event is too low. So for now G1WH is king? Also half the price... too bad is lower res though.

I think its only temporary and new firmware will solve most of problems.
My d201 records MP4 files, is it normal? Im reading on some webpages that it records MOV files. For example:

http://vat19.pl/pl/rejestratory-samochodowe/317-dome-a12.html

Last edited:
HDR @ 1440p Night Videos:
From residential area to strip mall: On battery power.

Strip mall to residential area: On battery power. Battery lasted almost 8 minutes.

Residential area to neighborhood with high/low beam:

Night videos are very good. Great resolution, color and visibility.
Easy to see objects and people walking.
Where installation of the GPS unit.
please images

Where installation of the GPS unit.
please images
It's partly seen in all my videos as in this screenshot below.
I just have it sitting below the windshield secured with a velcro tape on the dashboard.

Dome D201 Gps location.jpg

Back