[Review: Written+Video] GitUp Git1 1080p WiFi Action Camera

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
I know that others have reviewed this camera already, but I figured I had already done so much work on my own review, I might as well post it up for others to see.

The GitUp Git1 is a solid action camera with WiFi, a high quality Sony image sensor that delivers sharp daytime videos and pretty good night video. It has an available wristwatch remote control, and FPV and external microphone support via the mini-USB port. It can use all GoPro mounting accessories, even cases (gopro 3 and up), so your options for mounting are just about unlimited. The included mounts and cases work with official and generic GoPro mounts as well.

GitUp provided me with a review unit of the Git1 Pro pack along with a couple extra accessories.

The video review covers some of the highlights and has video samples, but for the details, read the full article on my website: http://www.gibson99.com/2015/12/gitup-git1-wifi-action-camera.html

Thanks. I personally prefer written reviews myself (easier to put down in the middle and come back to later, like a book) but in the case of a video camera review, a video review makes sense. And I also know videos "sell" better than words in today's society.

I still need to post the raw files to my server. YouTube did a number on the video samples... Looks horrible, especially the bike ride one.

I see there is an external mic option hooked via miniUSB, Do you know if you can hookup an audio line-in source? I've been tasked with finding decent budget actioncam for a small plane we can pipe the radio calls into. (to record audio from headset/tower chats etc) I see one of the complaints was bad audio, but the review only seems to have tested the internal mic only. (only skimmed the video, did he show the external mic?) What else out there would do this short of an expensive GoPro?

Last edited:
I did try the external mic that gitup sent me, and it's better in that it's not so sensitive to low frequencies, and a little better at rejecting wind noise. I think I put that in the written review but can't remember offhand.

As for hooking up a line in? No idea. @gitup can probably answer that. Then again, techmoan tried several gopro external mics and had very mixed results depending on the quality of the mic. If those work, maybe someone makes a line in adapter for gopro that'll work here too.

Last edited:
@Nigel has tried some external mics and may be able to offer some thoughts
The external mic input works well. It will take a standard PC (computer) microphone so there is nothing special about the input other than the use of the mini USB connector. (A PC microphone is just the microphone element itself with no electronics.) Microphones work with much smaller voltages and currents than line-in connections but I'm sure there must be line to mic level converters available. You will want your converter to have a volume control since the Git1 is very sensitive to volume, while the Git2 will record almost any volume.

There is one problem, if you plug the microphone in, it uses the same socket that is used for power so you can't then plug power in. If you can find a mini USB plug with both microphone and power connections then you may still have issues since apparently the charging circuit causes some noise on the microphone input. I don't know how much of a problem that is for the Git1 but Gitup doesn't seem to recommend doing it for the Git2, although maybe your standards are not as high.

Great review, perhaps next time just keep the background music level lower, as its a bit distracting in my opinion.

Thanks. I personally prefer written reviews myself (easier to put down in the middle and come back to later, like a book) but in the case of a video camera review...
Same here, I'd rather read the review, and written reviews tend to have more detail, sometimes a lot more. Videos are good for an overview but not the details.

Yours is nicely written with a good collection of information, well done - Git2 review next...

Great review, perhaps next time just keep the background music level lower, as its a bit distracting in my opinion.
i was having some trouble in the audio mix, trying to keep stuff from stepping on others... most difficult was doing the voiceover during the bike ride. after that i gave up and used text on screen, since there's no way i could have talked over the sound of the exhaust in the car racing part. and it's really crazy how even at HALF volume, the car racing section was still by far the loudest section of the video. next time i go racing i'll be sure to bring the waterproof case or at least the external mic.

Same here, I'd rather read the review, and written reviews tend to have more detail, sometimes a lot more. Videos are good for an overview but not the details.

Yours is nicely written with a good collection of information, well done - Git2 review next...
thanks. a Git2 is currently on its way to me now. Hopefully it'll be here before Tuesday so I can take it with me to Colorado and get some snow-skiing footage. wonder if i can figure out some way to put both cameras on a single chest mount... it's already pretty goofy looking having one camera on my helmet, but two? lol

I think that mounts should be metallic. Cameras are too heavy for a plastic mount and when are vibrations the cameras are shaking.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think that mounts should be metallic. Cameras are too heavy for a plastic mount and when are vibrations the cameras are shaking.

enjoy,
Mtz
it depends... i have a suction mount that has the little tabs for a gopro screw pretty much directly on the base of the suction cup. this thing doesn't shake unless whatever it's attached to is shaking. i actually put it on my step-sister's snowboard, pointed up at her, and got some really neat footage as we skied/boarded between the trees last week. yes, i had the gyro turned on, but even without it, i don't think it would have been bad at all, even when you consider that the snowboard was flexing with every bump.

i don't even use the tripod adapter that comes with it - i just put the camera right on the suction mount.
71DUhSYzlYL._SL1500_.jpg

I already have a dual plastic support and I am not satisfied about it, maybe yours will be better quality.

enjoy,
Mtz

maybe they're plastic for 2 reasons. first obviously is cost. second though might be safety. since a lot of people wear these cameras directly on their body, usually doing things where they could crash, i would personally prefer to have the camera mount break away than to have it cause another injury.

i only used my dual mount once - i had the git1 and 2 side by side on my chest mount. both were set to 1080p30, and the git2 had gyro turned on. the only reason i did that was to show the difference of having gyro on or off. hopefully there won't be much difference in brightness between the two, since it was a nice sunny day of snowskiing. :)

second though might be safety.
At that size and shape there is no difference regarding safety. The screws can screw much more and inside a plastic is more easy to go out and hurt.
I have a video recorded with 2 Git2 cameras using same mount, for Gyro comparison:

enjoy,
Mtz

There is NO WAY IN H3LL I would use an aluminum mount for a chest mount. You land on your chest in a crash that's an ambulance trip, guaranteed. Plastic mount breaking saved my 9 yr old son from more than a simple bruise.

The screws are encased in the plastic and dont just come out and stab you. The tabs the screw holds break off from the mount base or case itself. Aluminum mount since it wont give will jam the camera mounts straight into your chest causing serious injury.

And cameras are not too heavy for plastic mounts, work just fine. I mountain bike on some rather rough areas and on a chest mount the only problem has nothing to do with materials the mount is made from, its that the straps arent properly tightened.

Back