Running mini 0803 24/7 - Hardwired

POQbum

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the cigarette lighter for the power isn't good for my Honda civic, which only has 1 cigarette lighter which I already use for a FM transmitter to my phone.

So. I'm planning on hardwiring it to my battery for constant power and to run the camera 24/7.

My questions:
1) How much battery drain does it pull if it were running 24/7? Can someone give me some numbers?
2) Is it possible to wire it to a laptop battery, say, one like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131188447132
- Then, charge that external battery when the car is powered and running?

you may be better off looking at installing a second 12v lead acid type battery, but this time fit a 'leisure' battery, these are designed to give a longer reserve at a cost of a much lower CCA, you usually see them fitted into motor homes/RVs as as second battery for running everything apart from the engine. A split charge system will keep the leisure battery topped off and you can wire your stereo, ciggy lighter and dashcam from that instead.
Depends on how much work you want to make for yourself really I guess.

which would be cheaper than a second battery and all the wiring as well ;)

What would the right camera for the job be? I was looking at the Panorama 2s but it seems like the GPS feature isn't very accurate and jumps around constantly. Still, wouldn't I run into the same battery issues?

>> I am still a bit confused about the battery issue, some electronics like laptops, when full charged do not keep feeding into the battery once it is charged. Is it not the same for the Mini 0803?
I am still not very worried of it dying or catching fire. It will just fall onto my plastic dash, maybe scorch it a bit. I can't imagine a 100mah battery causing too much of a disaster anyway.

What would the right camera for the job be? I was looking at the Panorama 2s but it seems like the GPS feature isn't very accurate and jumps around constantly. Still, wouldn't I run into the same battery issues?

have not seen issues with the GPS, also this model does not have a battery

>> I am still a bit confused about the battery issue, some electronics like laptops, when full charged do not keep feeding into the battery once it is charged. Is it not the same for the Mini 0803?
I am still not very worried of it dying or catching fire. It will just fall onto my plastic dash, maybe scorch it a bit. I can't imagine a 100mah battery causing too much of a disaster anyway.

You're right in your initial estimation of how a battery charging circuit works, it charges to 100% then stops. The problem is as soon as the state of charge drops below a certain threshold, it'll start charging again. That threshold is usually quite high, say 95% charged or more. This constant topping off of the battery can cause problems, also some charging circuits are more sophisticated, monitoring battery temperature and adjusting charge current accordingly, sometimes refusing to charge if the battery is too hot -happened to me once with my mobile on a road-trip. I've no idea if the mini 0803 has this level of charge monitoring - I doubt it.

A fire in your car should be something to worry about, heat rises, and the headlining of your car is most likely to be affected by a burning lump of plastic stuck behind your rear-view mirror. I've no idea how flammable synthetic headlining material is, personally I'd rather not find out :)

So is it not recommended to use a camera like the 0803 for motion detection/parking mode?

Do you have a suggestion for a GPS enabled camera, good low-light performance with motion detecting parking mode then? Screen isn't necessary. I like the design of my old DOD GS600 as I can attach it to the rear-view mirror support.

We have a shipment of the all new Panorama G on the way to California. I'll post photos and specs soon. (New sharper smarter touch capacitive screen as well).

Back