Saturated Contrast Issue

Graeme2812

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X-2CH
My DR750 seems to have developed fault within 12 months.

The camera appears to have developed a contrast/brightness fault on the front camera. (See clips here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umzeaqwi3jqwyf2/AAAs9xXRQNic680BGhWiY0wRa?dl=0 )

My video settings are;

Firmware: 1.013
Resolution: FHD @60 & FHD @30 (Extreme)
Image Quality: Highest (Extreme)
Enhanced Night Vision: (On (Always)
Brightness Front: 1
Brightness Rear: 3

Night Vision off doesn't seem to make a difference.

There are no lenses or filters, and the windscreen isn't athermic etc.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Regards,
Graeme

It looks like the lense has fogged on the inside of the mount. I've heard of other instances of this happening. More prone to occur in cold weather..

you could try dismantling and cleaning the lense (try and find a YouTube vid showing how to).
Or you could try a simpler way of putting the dashcam in a blow of dry rice and put the bowl on a radiator overnight.
The heat from the radiator will evaporate the trapped moisture and the rice will soak it up out of the air.
It's a trick commonly used with mobile phones that have been dropped in water.

Here is the same issue on a previous BlackVue model (although it can happen to any dash cam make) the thread is someone showing how they resolved it;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/foggy-image.30689/

Yep looks like fog developing inside the camera. Lots of humidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the replies. I don't feel too comfortable dismantling the camera, plus it's still under warranty. I can only assume that as the weather has become much colder here (10c to -5c in the north east of Scotland) that the humidity may have something to do with it. The car is kept in the garage most nights other than when i'm away on business/traveling and there has been a few mornings where it's been frosty.

I've taken the camera inside and found some silica gels. Stuck them in a airtight plastic food box (Tupperware) and so will leave it in there for a few days and will see how it goes.

I've contacted BlackVue and it seems like my nearest authorised service center isn't much more than 90min drive away so it may be a trip there if the humidity trick doesn't work.

Any recommendations of where best to leave the plastic box? It's currently on top of a radiator with a magazine underneath it.

Ideally somewhere that's over 10° so that the moisture can get sucked up by the silica. The warmer the better, but not too hot. It will dry out quicker with heat to help the moisture.
A radiator should be fine, upto about 35° or so.
Silica gel is also better than rice (instant rice, not just plain uncooked rice) at soaking up moisture.
You can leave it in a sealed container at general room temperature, but the cooler the item, the longer it will take.

why not just talk to the seller

Purchased from Amazon directly. They only have a 30 day RMA apparently.

I've left it in a warm room (20c) and will leave it in the box for a few days. Hopefully that gives me some success or i have some with the local authorised repair center.

I've this evening raised a support request with BlackVue so hopefully it will get sorted. The RMA process with BlackVue directly has begun.

Been really disappointed with this cam. First 750 had the g sensors pack in, and the 2nd has this condensation issue. Oh, and it likes to reboot every 10 min or so. :rolleyes:

My original 550 lasted for years without a single issue. :cautious:

If you are close to the end of the guarantee, don't muck about, make a claim before it runs out.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I contacted Amazon (where i originally purchased the cam) and they were very prompt in sending out a replacement, again.

There is a clear difference in the quality compared to the old cam. Hopefully there will be no issues this time!

Amazon are amazing in this way, i have made RMA on a few memory cards i have gotten thru them, and pretty much every time i have had a replacement card in my hand before i got to ship the broken one out.
And while i am a old lazy fart, in matters like this i believe in prompt and tidy work but i have had a problem keeping up with Amazon.

I "just" sent a SJ8 pro back to amazons return center in the UK, and while i had to fork out on shipping the price for that was also reimbursed. 100% (y)

Back