Second A129 Front Camera for the Rear?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
I've tried using the A129 Duo setup for a few months now with a variety of beta firmware. Like others, I simply can't get the Auto-Event Detection to work consistently with the G-Sensor, regardless of my sensitivity settings. I'm now convinced that the G-Sensor is only good for crashes or big impacts.

However, motion detection works great! The only problem is the rear camera doesn't have built-in motion detection. So here's what I'm thinking. What would happen if I used a second A129 front camera for the rear, but wired them both together? That way I could use the very reliable motion detection to monitor the front and rear of the car while in parking mode.

I'm also thinking about purchasing a Cellink Neo to provide additional parking mode power for both cameras. Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated.

I can’t say I know how these A129 work, so I’m just thinking out loud here

for power should work fine but for receiving/sending data I’d be thinking they would each be expect to be receiving data not sending it

maybe Viofo could chip in here, with some info

for power should work fine but for receiving/sending data I’d be thinking they would each be expect to be receiving data not sending it

Oops! I didn't communicate that properly. I was only talking about wiring them together for power, not data. They would each operate independently of one another. An added benefit with this setup is that they would both be recording at 60 fps.

I believe the motion detection is enabled for both cameras and it doesn't rely on a sensor, but on significant changes in the picture content, regardless if it's the front or rear camera.

Yes, motion detection works for both front and rear cameras.

You would need a separate power supply to run a second A129 front camera in the rear. Even if it were possible to tap into power from the rear camera cable, the front camera consumes far more power than the rear camera.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't realize that the A129 rear camera was capable of motion detection, which is why I suggested this solution. I now know that's not the case. However, I'm still confused about the parking mode motion detection and G-sensor settings. I wish there was more Viofo documentation of the range and/or impact required to trigger each.

I've tried using the A129 Duo setup for a few months now with a variety of beta firmware. Like others, I simply can't get the Auto-Event Detection to work consistently with the G-Sensor, regardless of my sensitivity settings. I'm now convinced that the G-Sensor is only good for crashes or big impacts.

However, motion detection works great! The only problem is the rear camera doesn't have built-in motion detection. So here's what I'm thinking. What would happen if I used a second A129 front camera for the rear, but wired them both together? That way I could use the very reliable motion detection to monitor the front and rear of the car while in parking mode.

I'm also thinking about purchasing a Cellink Neo to provide additional parking mode power for both cameras. Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated.

Medium isnt sensitive enough in my opinion and high captures every bump and pothole....think viofo needs to up mediums sensitivity and lower highs.

Reactions: LMN
Back