Seeking Dash Cam Recommendations for Parking Mode in High Temperatures

iliak

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello everyone,

I'm in search of a dash cam with specific features to suit my parking environment. Here are the key requirements:

1. Parking Mode Duration: The camera should reliably work in parking mode for about 3-4 hours after the engine has stopped.
  2. Automatic Activation: Ideally, the camera should have the capability to turn on automatically, especially during specific times. This is crucial as I park in a shared area with peak traffic hours.
  3. Heat Resistance: Our country experiences summer temperatures ranging between 30-40°C. It's essential that the dash cam operates effectively under such conditions.
  4. Channels: A 3-channel system is preferred to cover front, rear, and interior perspectives.
I'm considering models like the Viofo A129 Pro Duo/A139 and Vantrue N4/N5 but am open to suggestions for other models that meet the above criteria.

Can anyone share their experiences with these models under similar conditions or recommend other dash cams that would fit these requirements? Your advice would be greatly appreciated as I navigate this purchase.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum Iliak.

Many systems do parking guard / mode today, but it do seem like the expensive cloud cameras are the best at it.
Mind you no dashcam are in danger of breaking, they will shut off when a given MAX temperature are set, the kicker is in regard to this only a few will come on again when temperatures have dropped, for most part it is a permanent thing so will be off until you get in the car and start your next drive.'

1: no problem, many cameras actually have a timer function for the parking guard / mode, i use that myself as i have CCTV at home, so just need 3 hours to cover my other stuff.
If that is not there well a system will run until you start the car again or the low voltage kick in, so setting a high cut off voltage can also be used to limit load on your car battery.

2: Parking guard turn on when you turn off the car, so far i am not aware of any system that allow for programming of specific hours to be on.
There are some experimentation with geofencing going on, to say define where a system should not be on, like at home in your garage, but this is not yet implemented good as far as i know.

3: 30 - 40 deg C as you know are hot, and inside a car that is blast furnace hot, TBH i have doubts it will work, you probably need a system with radars that allow the camera to sleep extra deep to conserve power usage ( and so heat generation )
The problem is electrical components all have a set MAX temperature they will operate well at, so not much one can do.

IMO the best solution is the few and far between remote camera systems that have all cameras on a wire from the main unit, the problem is however, no one that make these take advantage of the fact they cam make the main unit fairly large and so house a really beefy actual cooler VS the little ALU heat sink you see inside regular dashcams )
Hell you could even add a active fan to cool when the temperatures are at the MAX.
Also you could put such a system deep low in the car in the shade, so at least no direct sunshine which i think are often the thing that push a system over the thermal edge.

I have advocated for such systems for many years now as they have a range of benefits, but no one have taken me up on the challenge, some that have made such a system with small head unit, well say they do not sell as good as regular systems for some reason, i tried one / scratch that 2 systems, and sure you have 1 or 2 more wires to do, but i did not see that as a problem testing those.

Thanks, looks cool (never heard of this brand, and it does not exist locally).
I prefer something i can buy directly from amazon or official store to receive some warranty, unfortunately this brand does not ship directly.

Thanks, looks cool (never heard of this brand, and it does not exist locally).
I prefer something i can buy directly from amazon or official store to receive some warranty, unfortunately this brand does not ship directly.
Do you mean Thinkware does not ship / sell to Israel?

Back