Seeking dash cam with external audio input

Involute

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dash cam to put in my plane to record my flights. I'd like to patch the plane's audio into the dash cam's recording. Not surprisingly, external audio in doesn't seem to be a common feature on dash cams. Does anyone here know of one that has it? Thanks.

Have you seen this video.

As you say external MIC on dashcams is a rare thing.

Yes, I've seen both. In fact, this project's been knocking around in the back of my head for awhile and the second video (just posted in the last day or two), prompted me to look into it again. The Virb solves the audio problem but I need to dig into it more. GoPro has a similar feature, except you can't power the camera externally when using the USB port for audio; if the Virb has the same limitation, that's no good for me. Also, what I really like about dash cams is they come on with the power, automatically record in a loop, and go off with the power. The GoPro (and, I suspect, the Virb) requires a button press for on/off, and doesn't record in a loop (though the video briefly shows a "Loop" feature in the Virb's control app). I've been using an A118 in the plane for a couple of years, but I record the audio on a digital voice recorder; I'd like to ditch the latter.

I do think some at least of the new generation cameras will come with a external MIC connector, but i am not quite sure if this will just be for dashcams thats the camera on a wire solution like the SGZC12RC.

Perhaps @jokiin from Street Guardian can tell a little about what they have coming in this regard.

May be a little problematic as many dashcams is of the popular wedge shape that go fine on a car windscreen, but i am not sure how suited that would be for a ****pit window / windscreen.

Off course you could make some form of bracket / adapter that would widen the places in your plane where you can mount it, cuz i assume just put on the windscreen and filming strait forward thru the propeller would get a bit boring.

I do know the up and coming dual channel cameras from Street Guardian will be with a external microphone thats provided with the kit, at least for the planned 2 cameras on a wire version later next year.
And that would be pretty sweet in a plane i think, 1 camera to film where you are flying and then you could use the rear camera on a wire inside the ****pit for all kind of angles, or maybe outside on the wing like that guy also do with the action cameras.

I think the 2 cameras on a wire would be perfect as its pretty darn small camera units, so you could stick those just about anywhere you would like inside the ****pit, and maybe outside if you have a secure way to do that zip tying the wire to something.

I am pretty sure you will be able to wire the audio out of your intercom into those up and coming Street Guardian cameras.

I'm looking for a dash cam to put in my plane to record my flights. I'd like to patch the plane's audio into the dash cam's recording. Not surprisingly, external audio in doesn't seem to be a common feature on dash cams. Does anyone here know of one that has it? Thanks.

The Gitup - Git2 2K action camera provides excellent performance, can be used as a dash cam (has gyro stabilization and 60fps as well) and features an optional external microphone.

http://www.gitup.com/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/gitup.172/

git2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah forgot the git2 :rolleyes::oops:, it have external microphone and full dashcam functionality too at least in regard to record on power on and loop recording.

Some times i wonder what the hell my brain is doing, not least the past week where it seem to throttle up when i go in bed, so i spend about 12 hours not sleeping in bed before i finally fall asleep for 3-4 hours.

I'm looking for a dash cam to put in my plane to record my flights. I'd like to patch the plane's audio into the dash cam's recording.
What's the audio source? The reason I'm asking this it's because the audio input on these cameras are meant for mics and therefore they are high impedance inputs. If you connect a low impedance audio line to it the audio will be all distorted.

What's the audio source? The reason I'm asking this it's because the audio input on these cameras are meant for mics and therefore they are high impedance inputs. If you connect a low impedance audio line to it the audio will be all distorted.

That's a good question. I know that there are special low to high impedance adapters made specifically for aviation but I'm not sure how that would work with USB. I guess you would need a phone plug to USB adapter for that too.

I'm not a pilot so I don't really know the requirements.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1979

Last edited:
Somewhere in the Git2 thread there is a post with links to an adaptor for plugging in both external power and aeroplane audio. Using Google with site:dashcamtalk.com is probably the quickest way to find it, the thread is quite long!

Somewhere in the Git2 thread there is a post with links to an adaptor for plugging in both external power and aeroplane audio. Using Google with site:dashcamtalk.com is probably the quickest way to find it, the thread is quite long!

this was something Jon @Street Guardian USA was trialling when he was with Pier28, he would probably know the detail still

I realize this is an old thread, but I, too, have been searching for a dashcam with an external mic input, and when doing Google research, this thread is in the top 10 hits. So I hope this is helpful for other. I just found what I was looking for here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08QCM7FL1

Currently lists for $269 and here is the description, in case this link goes dead in the future...

VIOFO A139 3 Channel Dash Cam for Car with CPL Filter, 5GHz WiFi GPS Built-in, 2K + 1080P Dashcam Front and Rear with Cabin, Three Way Car Camera, IR Night Vision, Supercapacitor, 24h Parking Monitor​

About halfway down, there is a photo of a lapel mic and it says...

Optional External microphone​

The 3.5mm jack port microphone can be used to connect with A139 dash cam, we provide a variety of brackets, you can clip the microphone on the collar, or stick it on a convenient place in the vehicle. It can also be used with mobile phone, PC, notebook, cameras.

It doesn't look like the mic shown is included with the unit, but the input jack is part of the unit, so any mic should work.

a139.jpg

Great YouTube review here: https://youtu.be/pT_lShBt178

Hope this helps! Peace!

It doesn't look like the mic shown is included with the unit, but the input jack is part of the unit, so any mic should work.
Correct, the mic is optional, and it will take any PC type mic, although I think you want a fairly sensitive one.

There is also the new dual channel Viofo A229 if you don't need 3 channels.

Back