SG9663DR update

For several years now I've been running both a standard front facing dash cam along with a telephoto dash cam. Usually the telephoto works in concert with my normal dash cam as an "enhanced" auxiliary cam but on occasion one camera really captures what happens when the other one doesn't quite do the job. It's as if to some extent each camera works as a redundant back-up for the other. Since installing the telephoto, I've become rather addicted to having two cameras working together and such a set-up might have helped your situation.
something i have always wanted to get configured but never got around to it, been several times i have wanted it as i couldnt quite see something i wanted to see.

Me too. I wanted to do this but in my hasty moving-of-house I misplaced my telephoto lens and I haven't found it yet- it's somewhere deep in the boxes I stored off-site :cry: There have been a couple incidents where I'm living now which I captured, but without the needed detail to make a positive ID which the telephoto would have done an excellent job with. Nothing serious but the unfilled void has become obvious and of course it would help on the road too ;)

Phil

Do you think that the problem is with the fact that you're using a Samsung EVO Select made by Samsung for Amazon, as opposed to using an EVO Plus original - tests show that the Samsung made for Amazon Select green version is both quicker and more expensive.

Or do you think the problem lies with using the larger capacity of 512 GB vs only 256 GB?
Posting another answer to your question to provide some closure.

After much testing I determined that the card in question was performing well below spec. While it's rated at 90 MB/s write speed in actual use it was only achieving 1.8 MB/s. Little doubt in my mind that's the cause of the problem. See test results below.

I have started the warranty exchange process with Amazon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung 512GB Test 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 85.084 MB/s
Sequential Write : 1.862 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 76.900 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.864 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 10.394 MB/s [ 2537.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.961 MB/s [ 234.6 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 10.901 MB/s [ 2661.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.011 MB/s [ 246.9 IOPS

================================================================

Samsung 512GB Test 2

Sequential Read : 87.236 MB/s
Sequential Write : 1.870 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 78.045 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.856 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 10.208 MB/s [ 2492.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.955 MB/s [ 233.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 11.012 MB/s [ 2688.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.960 MB/s [ 234.4 IOPS]

====================================================================

Transcend-1 64GB

Sequential Read : 85.724 MB/s
Sequential Write : 23.152 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 75.010 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 17.139 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.759 MB/s [ 917.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.103 MB/s [ 269.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 5.105 MB/s [ 1246.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.164 MB/s [ 284.2 IOPS]

Last edited:
Another thing to think about - if you get in a wreck and your car has to be towed, you need to be able to take out your SD card pretty easily so you can keep the evidence with you.

Personally I would mount a unit like this either in the center console under the armrest or in the glovebox. That way it's completely hidden (and out of direct sunlight!) but still super easy to get to.
Depending upon the ambient temps in your area and how hot the main unit might get, it might be even better to mount it somewhere near an air-conditioning vent. My fuse box is right behind the glove box, so perhaps mounting it just below the glove box might keep it cool and would be nearly impossible to see without being inside the vehicle.

I'm in the market for a unit and was looking at the Pro, but I might wait a bit longer for the DR. I hope that there's an update soon.

Wherever you put it, it's still going to be cooler than on a windshield. I don't expect it to run any hotter than the existing dual channel models so anyway there's nothing to worry about.

I am hoping ( in vane ) that "they" would make the main units larger and so able to support better cooling solutions.
With current dashcams you cant really say there is much of a cooling solution, but if you did add one of those higher running performance would be no problem.
Regarding parking mode maybe not so much as it is after all still a passive cooler i am talking about.

I would take a main unit the size of 4 X 20 PCS cigarette packs any day, VS something like the K2S which are about half the size of 1 pack of cigarettes.

Hell i would even take a system with a active cooler that run when in normal mode, you dont need many CFM of air over a okay cooler before you see a much better result, so a low noise 80 / 92 mm fan i would have no problem with.

I dont even know do other countries have 10 PCS ciggerette packs, come to think about it i have never seen that in TV / movies, other countries are always "big" packs.

Wherever you put it, it's still going to be cooler than on a windshield. I don't expect it to run any hotter than the existing dual channel models so anyway there's nothing to worry about.
If SG decide to build a 4K version of the DR then positioning the main unit somewhere cool, out of direct sunlight, will be a good thing. My A129 Pro does not run for long in parking mode if the sun is shining on it.

Hell i would even take a system with a active cooler that run when in normal mode, you dont need many CFM of air over a okay cooler before you see a much better result, so a low noise 80 / 92 mm fan i would have no problem with
I understand that one reason for not using a fan in conventional dashcams is that the microphone picks up noise from the fan. If however the cameras are remote, then perhaps the processing unit can have a fan. That leads me to ask @jokiin, where is the microphone in a dual remote system?

probably like in the K2S in the GPS antenna, at least i think thats a good place to put it VS having yet another wire.

I am hoping ( in vane ) that "they" would make the main units larger and so able to support better cooling solutions.
With current dashcams you cant really say there is much of a cooling solution, but if you did add one of those higher running performance would be no problem.
Regarding parking mode maybe not so much as it is after all still a passive cooler i am talking about.

I would take a main unit the size of 4 X 20 PCS cigarette packs any day, VS something like the K2S which are about half the size of 1 pack of cigarettes.

Hell i would even take a system with a active cooler that run when in normal mode, you dont need many CFM of air over a okay cooler before you see a much better result, so a low noise 80 / 92 mm fan i would have no problem with.

I dont even know do other countries have 10 PCS ciggerette packs, come to think about it i have never seen that in TV / movies, other countries are always "big" packs.

As big as 4 packs is a little too big. If it's not 4K, doesn't need to be.

Ten packs are available here.

My A129 Pro does not run for long in parking mode if the sun is shining on it.

Pity, that too with UK temps. They'll probably end up limiting PM to 1080p.

I understand that one reason for not using a fan in conventional dashcams is that the microphone picks up noise from the fan. If however the cameras are remote, then perhaps the processing unit can have a fan. That leads me to ask @jokiin, where is the microphone in a dual remote system?
mic is remote, not in the main unit

That is one option. Or 4K 10fps.

Though I don't have the hands on experience you do, I have my doubts. With hotter climates is going to be only worse.

Though I don't have the hands on experience you do, I have my doubts. With hotter climates is going to be only worse.
That's why a 4K camera is only part of my dashcam setup :)

I'm reserving a place for the DR to complement my current cameras

Depending upon the ambient temps in your area and how hot the main unit might get, it might be even better to mount it somewhere near an air-conditioning vent. My fuse box is right behind the glove box, so perhaps mounting it just below the glove box might keep it cool and would be nearly impossible to see without being inside the vehicle.

I'm in the market for a unit and was looking at the Pro, but I might wait a bit longer for the DR. I hope that there's an update soon.
No, you don't want to mount any electronics near a vent. Remember that those same vents also carry heated air in the winter. Even here in Houston, where it basically never drops below freezing, I still use my heater when it gets chilly outside.

I have already had my heater in use several times, a few days ago the temperature just above ground level was very close to 0 deg C, and up where the bulk of me are we are knocking on 10 deg C some days.
Though the past 2 days have been sunny and with 21 deg C as the record, so that have been pretty nice. :)
O and my ski underwear are ready to go, assume it will see first time use before this week are over.

One good thing came from that tropical storm we just had - temps have been relatively mild ever since (highs of only about 90f instead of 100+). sure, it's super humid (glasses instantly fog up when you walk outside) but at least you aren't at risk of heat stroke for just being outside for an hour, even in the shade...

Back