SG9665GC hard wiring into Skoda Octavia MK3 2017

if it's a fused circuit then yes you're good to go, if the white wire is one you've added yourself then I don't think there's any need to try and tell you how to do things, that's a neat OEM style install

Thanks! The white wire was indeed what I installed. I found the terminals for other connectors in the truck that I have landed for other retrofits (stuff my truck didn't come with from factory). So most of my mods have been simply filling in the missing circuits on those devices. Haven't done a dash cam yet, so I have no schematic references, hence all the questions. I plan to re-wrap that with automotive harness tape for that OEM look.

I have several mods on the GM-Trucks Forum for 2014-2017: Silverado/Sierra trucks with a request of an "OEM Style" dashcam install How-To. I have several YouTube videos out there of my work and plan to document this one, specifically for this model.

I appreciate the quick responses and know that SG will be a great choice based on the level of response and Customer Service I have observed here.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice clean install. Looks like that octavia has a good amount of black dot shading for mounting a camera.
Is that actually what all the black dot shading is for?
I avoided mounting my dashcam on these dots, as I was worried the sticky mount would not hold on the dotted surface, or that it would peel the dots off if it failed.... I'm in sunny Qld in Australia, where the ambient temp can easily reach 40degrees, so I hate to think what it is inside the car. It's certainly enough for my Blackvue to automatically shut down for over-temp, which it's done several times already.

The dots are great place to hide most of the cameras footprint, my GC just peek out below that area on the windscreen of my Suzuki.

Though in all fairness in my car its a grit area with the dots missing, so a suction cup even work on that area in my car, that will not be the case with a car that have the little round dots and nothing in between them.

But either way for concealment both kind of sunshade are prefect

I avoided mounting my dashcam on these dots, as I was worried the sticky mount would not hold on the dotted surface, or that it would peel the dots off if it failed.... I'm in sunny Qld in Australia, where the ambient temp can easily reach 40degrees, so I hate to think what it is inside the car. It's certainly enough for my Blackvue to automatically shut down for over-temp, which it's done several times already.
I believe the black dot shading is there for aesthetics, to make the mirror and rain/light sensor blend into the roof line. The shading is not good for fixing a suction cup mount, but an adhesive mount like the GC works just fine. Then the dots help to shade the camera a bit, plus make it less obvious from outside.

The black dots on a car windshield are called "frit". They are made from a ceramic material that is fused to the glass and are virtually indestructible. Their purpose is to provide an etched surface that allows adhesive to bond to the glass when the windshield is set in the frame. The dots also hide the adhesive aesthetically from the outside and protect it from UV light. Over time manufacturers began to use the frit to the occupants’ advantage by expanding the dot pattern downward between sun visors to create a kind of “third visor”, which helps to reduce glare from sunlight that the driver and passenger visors can’t block.

Last edited:
What "DM" wrote are what i would have written if i was to explain it technically.

Only problem i found having stuff glued on up there, are when you remove it then glue can be harder to get off as compared to a clean glass surface.
On my windscreen you have no problem seeing a lot of things have been glued on up there in the past years, but it dont bother me the least as i will be driving this car until i win the lottery or die.

What "DM" wrote are what i would have written if i was to explain it technically.

Only problem i found having stuff glued on up there, are when you remove it then glue can be harder to get off as compared to a clean glass surface.
On my windscreen you have no problem seeing a lot of things have been glued on up there in the past years, but it dont bother me the least as i will be driving this car until i win the lottery or die.

I find that a good solvent applied with a piece of terry cloth usually cleans tape residue off the frit pretty easily. After having countless VHB tapes applied and removed from my windshield a good cleaning with something like Goo Gone followed with some alcohol is just part of the routine.

It's certainly harder than cleaning bare glass though which you can scrape with a razor blade if necessary but not too bad.

Last edited:
An excellent demonstration Niko, many thanks.
You note (others forgot) the airbags in the front left headlining!
Most recommend tucking wire behind that.
I may try and remove the panel above the windscreen now.

ps - You've chosen fuse 48, a 'mid' sized? ATC/ATO. The link you give is to the mini (I believe?)
Worth noting

Thanks.

Last edited:
An excellent demonstration Niko, many thanks.
You note (others forgot) the airbags in the front left headlining!
Most recommend tucking wire behind that.
I may try and remove the panel above the windscreen now.

ps - You've chosen fuse 48, a 'mid' sized? ATC/ATO. The link you give is to the mini (I believe?)
Worth noting

Thanks.

I am glad you found it to be useful.
About link to the piggyback a type of fuse can be selected.

IMG_20180319_184056.png

4. In that car unused fuse port was nr.48 which is "Assist system for blind spot monitoring". I hooked up my multimeter, we made few test drives, tested start-stop to make sure this fuse remain powered. All was good.
Do you know which fuse is permanent?

Don't remember. It was customers car. When doing an install I relied on the car book he gave which came with the car.

Reactions: Mtz
Fuses for key-fob locking and for security systems are almost always permanently hot. Same often goes for brake lights but I don't like the idea of tapping into any safety-related systems. Owners manual or HERE can help you identify fuses.

Phil

Reactions: Mtz
This is perfect, thank you for the detailed instructions.

I have my SG9665GC V2 mounted on the Frit of my HRV, the dashcam has previously been mounted on the Frit of our last 2 CRV's.
Mine have also been mounted with 3M Extreme Double Sided Tape. It takes a little bit of effort, but I find it easier to just roll it off with your finger/s when removing it from the car.

I have a 2018 octavia and im attempting the exact same installation.

I initially extended my 12v socket from the boot to the glovebox as i was running a towbar wiring loom to the BCM and was convient for now.

Now ive found out that the 12v sockets are permanent i can no longer use this method

Or can I?

Is it possible to swap the live feed from the 12v socket fuse to a switched feed, say the one supplying fuse 48

Im reluctant to use these piggy back fuses, i fitted one on a volvo s40 and even though i had no damage, when selling the car and removing the dash cam mirror, i found the piggy back fuse had completely melted

Back